Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36036 - 10/05/03 05:54 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
" Wearing f-f in the streets would make you look "unclassy" to our eyes."

Flip-flops are tacky here in the US as well. They're only meant to be worn around the pool, shower, or at the beach.

Only trailer trash were them on a daily basis!

#36037 - 10/06/03 01:30 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
DanaD1966 Offline

Loc: Medford, Oregon USA
Okay, okay, enough of the flip-flop information! I've got it...leave them at home. eek I would like to clarify though...I was more speaking along the lines of casual sandals. This was prior to my being made aware of the weather in Madrid during my upcoming dates of travel. I made an error in tossing out the term, "flip-flops" and offer my sincerest apologies to the Spaniards I may have potentially offended! I was only making an effort to show respect, which is why I asked. wink

I would consider myself as one who dresses appropriately...more specifically classy, which is why I asked in the first place. I may enjoy wearing my sandals (flip-flops) from time to time, which may or may not include the beach, pool, etc., but certainly wouldn't classify myself as "trailer trash." rolleyes

This topic began as a result of something I had read in my travel books to Spain. It mentioned that open-toed shoes were considered disrespectful, and to use caution in dress. It crossed my mind that if THAT were considered taboo, then maybe I should throw the question out there as to what IS appropriate to wear. I have discovered since, as a result of this website and speaking with those who have been to Spain, that there really is no truth to that. Furthermore...IT'S GOING TO BE COLD during my two month stay!

It sounds like most anything is okay. Gee....do I dare ask about boots??? laugh

Dana

#36038 - 10/06/03 01:44 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ha,ha.

No need to apologize. In fact, I myself admitted that, although I have seen no f-f in the streets, I have been told there were (this summer for the first time) in some cities or in most cities sometimes.

Sometimes topics get a little out of control, because people who did't write first, arrives and give their two cents when the debate is rather old, and it emerges again.

As for people getting offended, at least in the spaniards part, we tend to be emotive and passionate in debates, which does not mean we are angry (although it could eventually lead to). smile

#36039 - 10/10/03 01:20 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Brooklyn Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Wait a minute!! I'm going to Spain tomorrow. So I should leave the quarter-length white socks (anklesocks) at home and buy black socks, even if I plan to spend my time hiking?

Life is like the hokey pokey, eventually you have to put your whole self in.

#36040 - 10/10/03 05:10 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, and don't even think of using a culotte, but a suit, and tie.
laugh

#36041 - 10/12/03 10:25 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Amy11 Offline

Loc: Oxnard, CA USA
wink i think it humorous of the talk on "sport" white socks. what other kind of sock to wear when men and or women are wearing casual clothes? Casual in the sense of going to work, but not in a suit? Most office place situations here in Ca, USA have what is known as business casual. It means to not wear shorts, t-shirts or clothing that you wouldn't wear to church. And the long socks with the long shorts that you see the guys wearing here in the states isn't necessarily a "rap" style of cloting either. i call that Homie Style, pachuco style or just what the punk gangster kids wear.
my trip to Spain i'll be packing comfortable overalls, denim jeans, a few t-shirts and yes tennis shoes and white socks. i am going to leave my skirts and dresses at home for fear of the cold. mi novio and i will be on holiday during the month of November and visiting Barcelona, Sevilla y Madrid. hope every one else will travel well and warmly.

#36042 - 10/14/03 03:06 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Most importantly, wear what's comfortable.

BTW

VIVAN LOS CALCETINES BLANCOS!!!

#36043 - 10/17/03 02:56 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
el viajero Offline

Leaving fashion sense aside (as I have none to speak of), what clothing is climate-appropriate for Madrid in mid November? What is the weather likely to be then?

#36044 - 10/17/03 05:13 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Miguelito Offline

You'll need a coat or something like that.
It could be cold (0ºC) and it could rain. There can be also good days, but you'll need always at least a pullover. Normally it doesn't snow but in the mountains.

#36045 - 10/17/03 12:12 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
el viajero Offline

Thanks, Miguelito, for the very helpful reply!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments