Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35959 - 05/12/03 03:56 PM which travel series book??
sneak Offline

hello!!
so, i have about just over 2 weeks until i fly to spain, and am interested in purchasing a travel series guidebook. in the past i'veused the lonely planet with much satisfaction, but they haven't released an updated version of spain with currency in euros yet.

does anyone have a personal opinion?? (i'll be living it cheap- and backpacking most of the time).

fodors? lonely planet? let's go!? etc....

thanx. smile

#35960 - 05/12/03 04:17 PM Re: which travel series book??
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Rough Guide to Spain is pretty good, as is the pocket version for Madrid. The Lonely Planet Guide I have shows at the bottom the conversion of 166 pesetas or so to the dollar. To convert the peseta to Euro, you might think about 175 pesos (and counting!)to the Euro, which is rising fast against the dollar.

#35961 - 05/12/03 04:50 PM Re: which travel series book??
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
I have always prefered the "LETS GO!" series. I have the 2003 Spain, Portugal & Morocco. It is my 4 th book. I am using it to plan our trip.
PS: We are also leaving in about 2 weeks wink

#35962 - 05/12/03 11:35 PM Re: which travel series book??
Snoo Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Sneak, You're in luck! I just purchased the "hot off the presses" Spain - Lonely Planet a few weeks ago. It's the 4th ed. published in March, 2003. I found it on the Books-a-Million site. You may be able to order it from your local bookstore also if you hurry. It has all the currency in Euros and email addresses, too.

#35963 - 05/12/03 11:47 PM Re: which travel series book??
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I prefer the Cadogan series which is published in Great Britain, but have found here at Border's. I really enjoy the "off the beaten track" tidbits, especially since i'm not new to Spain. Even my Madrileño friends were impressed with the recommendations from their Madrid guide.

#35964 - 05/13/03 01:08 PM Re: which travel series book??
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
For "Throwawayability" I choose Let's Go, as you can rip the newsprint pages out of it when you've visited a specific area.

For "Keepability" I choose the Eyewitness Travel Guide by DK. It makes a nice reference for when you get home and can't remember all the sights...or if you missed a picture. They also have a great history section with timelines, etc. to give your visits a little context.

#35965 - 05/14/03 12:42 AM Re: which travel series book??
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I'm in total agreement on Cadogan. A fresh perspective and great writing. I read Let's Go, LP and Eyewitness, but I carry Cadogan.
(I've never used guidebook hotels or restaurants).I only wish I could find more of them in my local bookstore. I guess it's off to Amazon.com.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments