Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35887 - 04/18/03 11:17 PM atms
princess Offline

Loc: usa
Are there atms that accept the cirrus or plus links. I have those symbols on my check card.

#35888 - 04/19/03 07:26 AM Re: atms
el viajero Offline

Yes. I'm on the same networks, and every ATM I've tried in the UK and Spain worked fine (though for some reason, when I was in the UK a few years ago I could only access my checking account, not savings).

#35889 - 04/19/03 10:26 AM Re: atms
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Be safe and call your bank before you go to give them the dates you'll be using the card and the country(ies) you'll be using it in.

Some banks freeze the account when you try to use the card abroad as a safety measure. They'll unlock it when you contact them and let them know it's really you using the card, and not someone who stole it. But it's much easier to let them know ahead of time than it is calling them from abroad.

Some banks (and, it seems to me, many credit unions) don't care. My bank does, and always thanks me for calling to let them know.

A few people find their ATM card doesn't work even when they have Plus and/or Cirrus, and they had contacted their bank. But they are a small minority. Sometimes it's a matter of trying another bank. Using a machine inside a bank, instead of on the street, is sometimes better. (You can often take out more money that way as well.) A bigger international bank is also preferable to a smaller one if you're having trouble. I've been using my card for years, in many countries and types of banks, and have never had a problem.

Have a great trip!

#35890 - 04/19/03 02:25 PM Re: atms
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This trip, as well as the recent years trips, I´ve been ONLY using my USA-based check/debit card which has the VISA symbol on the front and the CIRRUS symbol on the back with no problem. And while I never did it before, this time before my trip I called the bank to alert them of my use of this card abroad and they seemed surprised for my call but I´ve had no problem using it here for anything/everything. They even told me, surprisingly, that there would be no charge to use it by I have no doubt the exchange rate would be slightly worse to cover their expenses. In fact, I JUST checked my bank account online and I´ve paid $108.75 for my 100 Euros as well as $108.52 for my 100 Euros on two differen occasions.

And according to the today´s coversion rate on the Universal Currency Converter website 100 Euros equals $108.88 so I feel comfortable that I´m not being charged much if anything to make these transactions with my debit/check card through the ATMs.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments