Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35802 - 01/22/03 11:32 AM Shopping for Travel
NatalieM Offline

Since it appears that the dedicated shoppers frequent the "packing" topic area...I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a good website for buying travel items and clothing? I'm familiar with Travel Smith, but it's pretty pricey. Any other suggestions?

#35803 - 01/23/03 03:48 PM Re: Shopping for Travel
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
It goes without saying that travel clothes goes with personal style and bank account. I have found, for the most part, that so-called travel clothes not only lacks style but is ill designed.
The zip off pants that I have seen are uncomfortable, the zippers rub on your leg and the quick dry fabric (Nylon) is very stuffy and does not stretch. Most items that say "does not require ironing" are very stuffy to wear in the heat. Watch where you spend your money.
I have come to really on dress slacks, usually thin wool for dressy occasions. For the casual I have "Stretch jeans", they look like regular jeans but are thinner and very comfortable. I also have a jean short made of the same material. Gulf shirts, cotton shirts and t-shirts fill out the rest. Most with pockets. All DO NOT have advertising ie: NIKE! PATAGONIA!, TIMBERLINE etc. (That is, unless they want to pay me). If I am missing anything else I will buy it on location. I love to shop in Spain.
Cheers!

#35804 - 01/23/03 04:37 PM Re: Shopping for Travel
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I agree. Before our last trip, I ordered a box of high quality travel clothes, but sent them all back!! My regulars include khaki chino type pants (and shorts in summer) that go with all my shirts. A button type blouse can be dressed up or down and layered over t-shirts. Light weight wool would be great right now. Unfortuately, I am allergic to it so it is not an option for me.

We noticed that the families where we stayed would wear their clothes several days before changing. Make certain that all your colors mix and match, but the most important thing is to not take too much. If you need something additional, buy it there. laugh

For the next trip, I will include a navy blazer and a cashmere vest to dress things up when necessary and add a bit of warmth.

I try to fly over with only a carry on bag so I do not have to worry about the airline loosing my luggage. I either take an empty bag with me, or I purchase a cheap one there to transport the extra stuff home.

#35805 - 01/24/03 03:37 PM Re: Shopping for Travel
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Although this might not interest the ladies, I have, through several trips to Spain, come up with a lightweight set of clothing which I can wash in my room sink, and, in summer, dry outside in a few hours (not difficult in the summer Spanish sun!). I tend to wear black, it dries quickest, can be dressy or not, and does not show too much dirt, certainly no stains. I pack two or three pairs of black Dockers cotton chinos, the same amount of black, synthetic loose, short-sleeved button shirts, black "ropa interior" and wear Clarks black comfortable shoes. By hanging them to dry, and carefully folding (I used to be in the Navy and Marine Corps) I don't have to iron. You could vary the color, I am a painter and wear black so it doesn't reflect on the canvas when I paint. Throw in a poly-cotton blend blazer and tie and you are set.

Be sure to wear super comfortable shoes, they have stone sidewalks here, and they really are harder than cement. Get some podiatrist insoles to support your arches too, you will be glad you did, especially if you have flat feet. I like black leather sneakers (look dressier and don't scream "¡TOURISTA!").

Another way of minimizing what you take, is to purchase over here. Take a change of clothing and buy what you need. You can get a refund on the VAT tax when you leave too by filling out a form. In Madrid, the Cortes Ingles department stores have all the US brands, and there are many, many clothing shops downtown, and just about everywhere. The shoes here are especially good. Spain is famous for its leather goods. Check out the cool coin purses, super functional.

Spanards wear basically what a well dressed norteamericano would, perhaps better shoes, and less screaming branded goods (except the kids, they are the same everywhere). Be sure to pack or purchase some good dress shoes, you won't be allowed in a club with sneakers, leather or not. Ditto for sports shirts and sports clothes.

You will find just about everything here, same brands. Toothpaste to shampoo, cosmetics etc. The cancer of our culture has invaded everyplace. Too bad.

¡Disfruta!

Martín de Madrid
President, 1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments