Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35779 - 12/20/02 12:36 AM Carseats for toddlers
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Does anyone know what the law is regarding carseats for toddlers? I looked on some laws-of-Madrid site and my interpretation was that if you are under 12 and in the back seat, you don't need to be in a carseat, but in the front seat, yes. The toddler we are bringing is 2. Thanks!

Also, any suggestions on what type of stroller to bring? We've also considered bringing one of those baby leashes to make sure she doesn't get lost, but somehow I feel that Spaniards and Europeans in general would be horrified at the sight of a little girl wearing a "leash".

#35780 - 12/20/02 08:27 AM Re: Carseats for toddlers
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Ley 19/2001, de 19 de diciembre, de refo... de 2 de marzo.

Quote:

4. Queda prohibido circular con menores de doce años situados en los asientos delanteros del vehículo salvo que utilicen dispositivos homologados al efecto.
Translation (from the DGT):
Quote:
It is forbidden to drive with children under 12 years of age in the front seats, unless they use paritied safety devices.
As you said, it doesn't say anything about the backseat. However, I wouldn't take in a car a two years old girl without a special car seat for her, even if it's on the back seat.

If you buy one, make sure it complies with the Spanish regulations for such devices.

#35781 - 12/20/02 02:30 PM Re: Carseats for toddlers
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Like Antonio, regardless of the law, I would put a toddler in a car seat in back. They are very easy to check as luggage with the airlines. One handy thing we had was a travel cover. Just a nylon zipup bag. Lots of baby catalogs have them. But it only works for the "standard" sized carseat. Not necessary, but handy. Renting carseats can be expensive.

As for the stroller, I always used a very small, cheap umbrella stroller for traveling. Easy for jumping in and out of cabs or buses. Since your daughter is not a baby, it is will work well. Go to Toys R Us and buy one for under $20. Much easier than hauling the huge stroller you probably think you can't do without.

#35782 - 12/20/02 05:24 PM Re: Carseats for toddlers
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree...take your own carseat (and locking clip) with you. If you have one of those 5-point convertible seats that also becomes a booster seat later on (ours is for kids between 30 and 70 pounds, I think), you can probably use it on the plane. We usually take our seat along on the plane, so that our daughter can see out the window and so that she's in a seat belt that really fits (for both safety and to keep her immobilized so that she won't kick the seat in front of her or slide out and crawl all over the filthy floors!).

Just check to see that your seat is approved for airplane travel (it should say on a label on the back) and be ready to show that label to the flight attendants. They won't let you use a seat that's not approved for flight.

You'll be able to install your seat as usual in the center back seat of the car (the safest place) as long as you bring along a locking clip (which you may not need, but it's best to have just in case).

I also love umbrella strollers, but remember that many sidewalks and streets in Spain are not stroller-friendly (narrow, cobbled, broken pavement, few ramps at intersections). If your child isn't too heavy, a backpack might be easier! I would skip the leash unless she's really inclined to dash away from you...I always think those lull parents into a false sense of "security."

The more I think about it, the more I think I would opt for the backpack--and those are the sorts of things that you can always borrow from a friend for the length of your trip! Just put it in a couple of strong plastic bags and check it at the end of the jetway (where you would typically leave a stroller).

#35783 - 12/23/02 02:42 AM Re: Carseats for toddlers
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I loved traveling with the backpack when my kids were small, and marvel that more people don't do it. Especially in airports, I liked having my hands free. However, with a two year old, I think you have to make a decision based on the size of your kid and strength of your back! For some, it's a snap and for others a real drag. I agree about strollers being a hassle in much of Spain. (I'm just thankful that we finally passed that epoch of our lives this year!) When my kids were less than 2, I didn't even bother taking a stroller.

#35784 - 12/23/02 02:20 PM Re: Carseats for toddlers
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Thanks. I think I'll investigate the backpack route, though the mother just went out to Target and bought an umbrella type stroller. It appears we may now just "need" a carseat for cabs, and my guess is the seat she has does not comply with Spanish standards. Hmmm...I'll let her decide, of course, what with 3 more days!!!! Thanks everyone!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2229 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments