Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35769 - 12/03/02 02:08 AM What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Born Lippy Offline

Could someone pls tell me what to wear in Madrid & Barcelona in December?

Is it freezing cold? Is thermal wear necessary?
Or, am I fine wearing just sweater & jeans?

#35770 - 12/03/02 10:29 AM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Well.....That depends in part on your fashion. But yes, sweater and jeans will do you well. Is should be said that women wear "Tight" fitting jeans and for the most part so do men. Don't get me wrong, tight within reason (most of the times wink ). It would be wise to bring an outer jacket of some kind and perhaps a scarf and head gear just in case, the cold can be "bone -chilling".

#35771 - 12/03/02 12:35 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Born Lippy, where are you from? That would make the difference weather-wise (not the same if you come from Alaska than from Hawaii).
Weather in December is quite cold in Madrid, and milder in Barcelona due to the sea proximity. Anyway, I think just a sweater is not enough for 5-15ºC, I would carry a jacket, a scarf and gloves for tha coldest days. Thermal clothes are not necessary.

#35772 - 12/03/02 12:53 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Miguelito Offline

The problem with thermal clothes is that when you go in the metro or inside any place you will be so hot that you will wish not to wear it.

#35773 - 12/03/02 08:09 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Born Lippy Offline

Hola Castiza & Miguelito

Gracias for your help, amigo!

I'm from Singapore...South east Asia where it's warm weather all year round. Average 25'C.

With your comments, I''l be removing my long johns from the bag pack.

Is it apropriate to wear a knee length thick wollen jacket in Madrid then? I'm afraid I've over-packed! Or, am I better with just a mid-thigh or waist length winter jacket?

#35774 - 12/03/02 08:12 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Born Lippy Offline

Hola Electracity

Does tight jeans keep you warm? Or, speaking for ladies, I thought it's just our way of a fashion style.

#35775 - 12/03/02 08:53 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Born Lippy wrote:
Quote:
Does tight jeans keep you warm?
I don't know about that but seeing women in tight jeans always 'makes' ME warm. wink eek :p

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35776 - 12/03/02 11:39 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
Today was freezing in PHiladelphia! With a wind chill factor of 20F below! I work outside mostly: I wore a long wool overcoat, leather gloves and one of those funny hats with the ear flaps that velcro to keep them taut! Underneathe I wore a turtleneck longsleeve cotton shirt, fleece pullover and a pr. of wool slacks, wool socks (that i bought in Ireland, a very cold place) with a pair of leather shoes! I was wonderfully warm, but my nosy was cold. I'm hoping that Madrid isn't this cold?! eek I'm also hoping that I won't have to pack a long overcoat. confused I'm hopeing that all I have to bring is a couple of fleece pullovers to wear under my leather waist jacket. Well? Madrid-ers what do you say? I want to look good afterall! :p cool

#35777 - 12/03/02 11:58 PM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello Shazz,
You will look super cool with your choice of leather jacket and dare I say it, "sneaks!" laugh laugh

I'm from the northern part of Florida and I was not too cold in Madrid and Galicia when I visited last December. I left from Philadelphia, and it certainly was much cooler there. I too wore a long leather jacket and layered tops and slacks. I will say this, though, my legs were a bit cold, particularly when I visited Segovia. Taking wool pants will probably be a very sensible choice.

Have a great time Shazz, I look forward to hearing your accounts! smile
Saludos,

#35778 - 12/12/02 09:01 AM Re: What to wear in December in Madrid & Barcelona
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hola a todos
hello everyone

ive always visited spain during the winter.also i have always visited the same places
the northern coast of galicia and asturias and madrid and alcala de henares on the "so cold meseta" rolleyes .during my stay i never (yes never)really felt uncomfortably cold in those areas as over here in new york city,only at bedtime at 3am but only due to the fact that there is no furnace heat in most of spains building.nevertheless in the great outdoor environment of these areas i always felt nice with just a light coat,jeans or chandales(sweatpants in castilian)and a sweater that is not woolen or thermal.another detail was that i never had a my coat or jacket zippered up and almost everyone seemed to be wearing there jackets the same way.this cleary explains that spain and the yes the meseta is generally not a freezing cold continental climate type countrywith few exceptions of course.
hope this makes up your mind on what to where in madrid and barcelona.remember this too barcelona has a mediterranean climate which is comfortable year round even in summer because of the dryness,and madrid has a lot of myths of climates but is not cold just cool except of course when those light but balsting guaderrama winds decide to bite you on RARE occasion( i only experienced once in madrid and none in alcala de henares or the northwest of spain
again hope this settles your worry on what to wear there
tenga usted un buenisimo viaje
have a very nice trip smile cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments