Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35757 - 11/22/02 11:32 AM Jamon/chorizo fines
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I saw on another thread that people were reporting that Customs/US Department of Agriculture were actually enforcing big fines (10K?!?) for people trying to smuggle in ham and other meat products from Spain. MM, I'm not at all advocating that people break the archaic and illogical agricultural laws of the US, but I get the sense that alot of us, er, know people who may do this...

Seriously, I know a lot of Spaniards living in the US who are sorely tempted. Does anyone reliably know of confirmed cases of fines, as opposed to just confiscation?

#35758 - 11/22/02 12:31 PM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think we have many postings in the recent past about this kind of thing. Maybe because people keep their mouths shut in a public forum like this. But surely a lot of people KNOW SOMEONE who has done this kind of thing.

There are a couple threads from the past entitled " taking food back to the USA " & " What I can and canīt bring home ".

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35759 - 11/22/02 01:49 PM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
my sources, reliable ones, tell me that YES they are now seriously enforcing the laws concerning the importation of foods...
if you don't declare EVERYTHING, even the legal foods, they can slap you with a $10000 fine! and they have been doing just that...
this is why i've been blowing my allowance at tienda.com...

#35760 - 11/22/02 02:33 PM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
thanks for the replies. MM, I saw the threads from the past, but my primary concern is that, as Big Jamon says, there seems to be a fairly recent crackdown in terms of fines vs. simple confiscation. This is important information, as I really do know a lot of Spaniards who can't believe that the US government is serious.

#35761 - 11/22/02 03:27 PM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
big jamon Offline

just did a little digging and this is what i found...
this is from The US Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) "For travelers entering the United States who do not declare agricultural products, APHIS can now charge up to $50,000 in fines. First-time offenders will be fined up to $1,000 in penalties if the products are not for resale. Agricultural smugglers face civil penalties of up to $250,000 per violation or criminal charges"
and according to US Customs aggravating circumstances can increase penalites by a factor of 10...ouch!
i had also made a statement that canned products were OK...i was wrong...canned meats, poultry, and fish are no go...in fact anything made with meat or meat by-products is no go...
so i will be thoroughly enjoying jamon and chorizo in spain but i doubt i will be trying to evade the beagles on my way in...and i guess tienda will continue to get my business...

#35762 - 11/26/02 04:11 AM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
canned meats, poultry, and fish are no go
Canned fish is a no go? And I sent my parents home with several tins of anchovies, octopus and other canned fish in August. Oops! Guess I wonīt be bringing them anymore for Christmas. Have the rules changed for the bringing in of cheese? I was planning on brining in a cheese wheel (AGAIN! laugh ).

Take those sniffing dogs seriously in the airports and donīt try to befriend one. I witnessed one poor lady being read the riot act by a customs agent when she started to pet the pooch. I have flown in and out of the USA (Philadelphia and San Francisco) pre and post 9/11 about 5 times over the past year and a half. The security in customs just seems to continually increase. Donīt risk the jamones and your wallet. If you live in Philadelphia you can buy jamón serrano, chorizo and manchego at DiBrunoīs in South Philly and Rittenhouse Square. wink While itīs more expensive than buying it in Spain, itīs a heck of alot cheaper than a $10,000 fine. eek

#35763 - 11/26/02 04:31 AM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Most tin food items should be fine, but cooter is wise to warn us all about the fines. In our new environment of strict border inspections, and tighter visa/security controls, the INS and US Customs agencies are much tougher than even a year ago. I recently entered the US, in San Francisco (from Asia), and can attest to the "new environment."

Besides, why risk the large fines when some products are now becoming available here in the US...

#35764 - 11/26/02 09:32 AM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
big jamon Offline

i was always under the impression that canned items were OK too...but according to customs and USDA any and all meat products are no go...anything made with meat is no go...fish i'm not as sure of...but why risk it...

#35765 - 11/26/02 07:18 PM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Big Jamon,
Is this rule about canned meats a "new" rule? After Jan. 2002?

#35766 - 11/27/02 09:48 AM Re: Jamon/chorizo fines
big jamon Offline

i don't know exactly when this went into effect...but i did some more digging in our gov't's web sites...fish is OK...
meat, meat by products, anything made with meat or meat by products is no go...
also fines for violations are $1000 on the spot! but on the US customs site i read that they can increase that but a factor of 10...so there is the $10000 fine...payable immediately...ouch!
you can check this site out...
travelers tips

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3023 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments