Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35739 - 11/12/02 01:14 PM Pesetas
Janet Lees Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I know Spain has switched to the Euro but the Fodor's guide book still lists things in both Euros and pesetas, especially taxis and tipping. Do I need to bring both Euros and pesetas or just Euros? What do the ATM machines give you?

Janet

#35740 - 11/12/02 01:29 PM Re: Pesetas
Espe3 Offline

Euros only! Atm's, banks, you name it!
However, you'll still see prices (in spain especially) still with the pesetas quantity everywhere. People have been using pesetas for a lifetime and its going to take awhile to transition and adapt entirely to seeing prices only in Euros. I don't know how long they plan to do that, but my guess is it will be awhile.

But don't worry, everything gets paid in euros now. If someone tries to exchange you pesetas, you're getting ripped off! Technically except what people may have kept for a keepsake, you shouldn't be able to get pesetas from anywhere!

#35741 - 11/22/02 08:21 PM Re: Pesetas
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
If, by chance, you have a large stash of pesetas, you can either forward them directly to me or, in the alternative, cash them for €uros at the local BANCO DE ESPAÑA once you get over here.

#35742 - 11/30/02 01:05 PM Re: Pesetas
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...I've also seen "leftover peseta" drops cannisters at some establishments. They look to be able to use them (after exchange) to assist less fortunate people in other countries. (It looked like there was a picture on them like the ones in the US for "Save the Children" or something similar).

You can also send them to me, as I still am looking for a 5000 and 10000 pta bill for "realia" in my classroom. I have a 1000 and 2000...because I'm always spending my $$$ and would no way leave Spain with a 5000 in my pocket! (Not when I could "convert" those ptas into La Casera or turrón!) laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1568 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments