Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35583 - 06/09/02 12:58 PM Madrid Weather: late June
Paul B Offline

We are going to Madrid for a week at the end of June.
It has been cool lately, but sounds like it could get very hot! This is bad news as I burn easily (I am from Scotland) and I know madrid is at altitude.

Should I wear sun cream and sun hat for walking around during the day?
whats the best siesta time?
Will I be able to sleep comfortably at night without air conditioning?

Paul

#35584 - 06/09/02 02:32 PM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
This Florida girl says, "YES, wear sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15!!!!" And wear it everywhere...ears, back of neck, backs of knees.

As for a hat, that's up to you. But a bad sunburn will ruin a vacation and make it even more difficult to sleep in the evenings.

As for sleeping, wear something light (or nothing at all, depending on the company you're keeping and whether the bathroom is down the hall!). It does cool down somewhat most nights, and you can probably open a window or use a fan if one's provided.

Not to sound like a teetotaler, but if you burn easily, you're less likely to be careful if you drink during the day too. And sun and alcohol will both make you dehydrated. My summertime rule both here and while traveling is to drink one large glass of water for every (1) caffeinated or (2) alcoholic drink.

If you can avoid moving about much during the middle of the afternoon (take a long lunch or visit tourist attractions that are open during that time), that will help too...as will ducking into El Corte Ingles for a little airconditioned shopping!

Don't choose that time of day for long rambles through the city (which I have done and regretted!). If it's really hot, follow what the crowd is doing...have a drink in a shady terrace or airconditioned bar, use the Metro, etc.

#35585 - 06/09/02 03:27 PM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
Paul B Offline

Sounds like the daytime will give me sunstroke and a night out with a few beers will leave me totally dehydrated the next morning.
I'm getting depressed just thinking about this!
Maybe I should give Madrid a miss and head north.

Paul

#35586 - 06/09/02 04:08 PM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
No, Paul--I didn't mean to make it sound like it's going to be a trial...it's true that it's hot, and you'll want to wear sunscreen and try to stay hydrated, but it's going to be well worth it!!

It's just that a bit of information ahead of time can save you from the discomfort of a burn. I am a bit neurotic about such things, having fried outside for most of my childhood (covered in baby oil, of all things). I've had some really bad burns, even on overcast days, and I know it can be particularly bad when you're a pale Northerner!!

And the water advice...well, that's the same thing--researchers say that if you wait to drink until you feel thirsty, or only rely on caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, you're likely to become dehydrated (with the accompanying headaches, etc.). And you live in such a different climate, it seemed like you might not remember that in the midst of all the fun of touring!

Have a great time in Spain--just prepare like you're going to my home state of Florida (but leave the Mickey Mouse ears at home--they laugh at those in Madrid)!

#35587 - 06/11/02 07:32 AM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Men wearing hats in Spain; you NEVER see that unless they're older gentlemen wearing the beret-type hats (what are those things called in Spanish??). Well, that is to say, you never see men other than tourists wearing ball-caps in Spain. There's something about walking through Madrid's Plaza Mayor and seeing groups of high-school students, MOST of which, BOTH boys and girls, wearing baseball caps on their heads.

Oh yeah, best siesta time is after your 1pm or 2pm lunch until about 4 or 5pm. This is tough for a traveler because you lose so much daylight/walking/sight-seeing time. But when it's hot and many shops aren't open anyway then why not. One of the main reasons for siesta, at least in summer months, is to escape the heat. Take advantage of it and you'll feel more lively in the evenings.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35588 - 06/11/02 01:18 PM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
you're referring to the everpresent black boina. You will see plenty of these if you take a stroll through any Madrid park in the morning!

#35589 - 06/11/02 01:36 PM Re: Madrid Weather: late June
Miguelito Offline

One good advice: Look for the shadow everytime you can, if you're walking in the street go by the shadow side, if you're waiting for the traffic light to turn green and there's a tree close to it, and so on...
The night is more active now, you'll enjoy it.
Try to find a timetable like they told you, avoiding the worst hours

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1502 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments