Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35537 - 05/20/02 10:55 AM Outlet adaptor & transformer
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Just back from Espana...I brought a RadioShack outlet adaptor and transformer unit for my battery charger and shaver with me.

I thought I would be all set. I had the correct outlet (plug-prong-shape) adaptor and transformer to reduce the voltage. I was not aware however, that most outlets in Spanish hotels are recessed in a circular pocket next to light switches.

The prongs on the adaptor/transformer I had were not long enough to reach back into the recessed circular pocket. My adaptor/transformer unit itself was rectangular and didn't fit.

I wish a could draw a little picture to describe the conundrum. 'Anyone else encounter this problem?

I solved the problem by borrowing a "prong extender" from the front desks at the hotels.

#35538 - 05/20/02 06:23 PM Re: Outlet adaptor & transformer
alabina Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I too was in Madrid last week and had the exact same problem. I thought I was set with my converter set, plugged in my blow dryer, and nada! nothing! The prongs weren't long enough to reach in because of the circulular design of the plug cover as you said. But my smart engineer boyfriend figured it out in a second what to do. He used an extra piece in the kit to do the job. First into the wall goes the adapter with the 2 round prongs, then INSTEAD of plugging in the converter, stick in another adapter plug, the other one that matches. (Another 2 prong) . Then, LASTLY plug in the converter. And voila! It holds. It's long enough to hold the converter. Hope I explained that well enough to understand.

#35539 - 05/20/02 07:15 PM Re: Outlet adaptor & transformer
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I have done the same thing you mention, alabina--and still blown fuses! I have said this elsewhere, but I really recommend buying frequent-use electrical appliances (hair dryer, curling iron) in Europe to avoid overloading electrical systems. For other things (battery charger for video camera, etc.), the fix you describe works well!

Doesn't this make you wonder what electrical standards would have evolved if early engineers had had easy communication routes to confer with each other?

#35540 - 05/20/02 08:32 PM Re: Outlet adaptor & transformer
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I have a little travel hair dryer (pretty easy to find) that switches from 110 to 220. All I need then is the little prong dealie and I'm good to go. I haven't had a problem yet...not just in Spain, but all over Europe. My battery charger is supposedly set to do the same thing...we'll see in a couple of weeks whether or not I manage to burn something up using it! Some of the companies that deal internationally (like Canon) have a switch mechanism already built into their battery chargers and such....you don't even have to think about it.

#35541 - 05/21/02 10:39 AM Re: Outlet adaptor & transformer
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I know the conundrum... All of the transformers I've ever seen (and purchased) have come with the transformer unit plus a plug adapter. The transformers seem to have the "Spain" round plugs. Even on my recent bike trip where I tried to economize space and weight, I knew about the recessed plugs and brought both the transformer and the "extender".

This is one of those "things I wish I knew before going to Spain" that the casual observer I think will find very helpful. Thanks for posting this notice!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3018 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments