Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35531 - 05/07/02 10:16 PM Credit Card Notification of Travel
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
29 days to Spain and I am tending to details.

Today, I learned something new about credit card purchases that I thought might be helpful for others. I am not certain where to post this, but since it involves preparation I will try here.

When you begin charging on your card from an 'unusual location', Visa and Mastercard might deny the charges until they receive verification FROM YOU that the charges are not fraudulant.

To avoid this, all you have to do is call the customer sevice number and notify them where you will be and for what dates. Visa also asked me if I would be making large electronic or jewelry purchases.

This recently happened to my husband, and it was a bit awkward until we got things straightened out.

#35532 - 05/07/02 10:31 PM Re: Credit Card Notification of Travel
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Something similar happened to me a few months ago as well. I wasn't in an unusual location - I was at home - and I charged a huge amount to my credit card for a bunch of plane tickets. A few hours later I tried to use my card at a gas station and it wouldn't work. I called customer service as soon as I got home, and they told me that the amount I charged was unusually large for my account, and that they froze the account until I contacted them for my own safety. They wanted to make sure the card had not been stolen. I hadn't known about this policy, but I appreciate it now.

But all kinds of things can happen with a credit card, so I now have two to be on the safe side. If there's a problem with one I know I have another to fall back on. I won't travel with only one card any more.

#35533 - 05/07/02 10:46 PM Re: Credit Card Notification of Travel
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Some companies will try to contact you at home to check out unusual spending patterns, and if you're away, you might be out of luck and not know your card is frozen until you try to use it again. Definitely check with your card companies before heading off to Europe with just one card in your pocket!!

#35534 - 05/20/02 10:43 AM Re: Credit Card Notification of Travel
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Yes, notify your credit card companies that you'll be in Spain.

I ran into problems having not done this on my recent trip.

Also, get the phone number you'll need to call from Spain should your card be lost or stolen.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1500 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments