Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35452 - 04/05/02 02:02 PM colors
sgerene Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
a couple of questions--I am planning to bring 4 bottoms (skirts, short pants) that are light weight but as for tops I know you are suppost to stay neutral- but it looks like (from pictures on the internet0 that people wear reds, edt..
Also I plan to bring light weight running shoes-merrels- theyare the most comfortable -is that okay?--I just dont want to look like a complete american tourist.

#35453 - 04/05/02 06:30 PM Re: colors
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Sara, I would go for mix-and-match colors (mostly black with a couple of bright shirts, ideally ones that match every one of the pants/skirts you bring).

Leather shoes are best--I would do sandals if the weather cooperates, or otherwise comfortable Clark's or Born-style shoes. Again, something that matches all your clothes!

And you'll look American no matter what you do, so just try to be comfortable and wear things that you won't be embarrassed to see in photographs 20 years from now.

Tara smile

#35454 - 04/07/02 07:02 PM Re: colors
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Thank you taravb for that sage-like advice: Just don't embarrass your children's children...

You will look American unless you change your shoes to match what's in style and for sale in Spain. I suggest you choose function over form, as nobody likes to spend their vacation using a cane due to uncomfortable shoes causing a spill on cobblestone...your Merrell's should serve you well.

As for tops/bottoms, skirts are probably more appropriate for staying cool (and presentable i.e. cathedrals, etc.). As a man, I don't tend to wear skirts too often, but have become enamored of the zip-off pantleg hiking pants which offer me the comfort of shorts and the reverence of pants at religious sites.

#35455 - 04/07/02 07:52 PM Re: colors
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Using a cane--or in a roll-stool (the literal translation of wheelchair in German, I believe) like my mom did when she broke her foot on a cobblestone on DAY 1 of a trip to Germany. Aside from her month in a cast, my dad ended up having knee surgery from injuries sustained while wheeling Mom over bridges in Venice.

What a mess. Wear comfortable shoes and watch your step! Better to be comfy and look like an Americana than to have to learn to say "wheelchair" in Spanish!

#35456 - 04/07/02 08:04 PM Re: colors
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
You know, Calibasco, I think you could start quite a trend with the "man-skirt" next time you're in Spain. It is quite refreshing in the summer months, and then you could use all of those kilt jokes and not have to wear plaid...

That said...comfy shoes are a good bet, yet even the comfiest of shoes can give you blisters. I always bring along a little bottle of "liquid bandage" I think it's called. It's great, you don't have to worry about bandaids flying off , you paint it on your wound, and you're safe!

Have a grat trip.

-GranadaGirl

#35457 - 04/07/02 08:10 PM Re: colors
Guapetona Offline

if you like to look chic and be comfy try camper shoes they are by far the best walking shoe i've ever had in my life. they are also not as expensive as rockports, clarks or mephisto. pick up a pair in madrid..there's a nice store on c/princesa across from the fnac laugh laugh laugh

#35458 - 04/07/02 09:19 PM Re: colors
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Liquid bandage is NewSkin in first aid section of supermarket.Great stuff..everybody was borrowing mine.I lived in one pair of Mephisto sandles for 2 weeks..they took me everywhere.

#35459 - 04/09/02 12:26 PM Re: colors
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
So we finally know the secret identity of the "Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe"!!! Thanks for coming out of the clog-set! rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2099 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments