Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35410 - 03/27/02 05:01 PM Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
mCmad Offline

Loc: London, U.K.
Yeh, right......pretty dumb question but what the hell.

My brother, in a fit of drunken humour, bought me a sarong whilst on holiday. What an amusing fellow.

I am 42 and pretty fit, and I must admit I think I look extremely suave and handsome in this garment. laugh

However, I am NOT brave enough to wear it whilst walking through London (where I live, cor blimey), as most Londonners have as much fashion sense as a small dried carrot, and have NO sense of STYLE whatsoever wink

Would I have to have a degree in Insanity to attempt to wear this (with sandals of course) in Madrid? Would it make me any more attractive to the fantastic number of beautiful women I see in this fair city?

I do have a pair of very very dark sunglasses so the staring would not be a problem, however the waves of incredulous laughter might make me run away and hide........and running is not a particularly good idea in this garment; well, not the way I tie it anyway.

I only ask as during my last visit to Madrid, sarong wearers seemed pretty thin on the ground.

Should I chance it (very un-British I know) or should I just fugeddaboudit and wear err...trousers.

Regards

mCmad
PS Bet this is the first "sarong" thread
PPS Bet it's the last too.

#35411 - 03/27/02 05:07 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
trousers.

#35412 - 03/27/02 05:10 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
mCmad Offline

Loc: London, U.K.
Not a good start then.

Drat.

I have kilt as well.

#35413 - 03/27/02 05:15 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I'm not sure what fabric your sarong is. Are we talking a southeast asian type floral, hybiscus and fish etc etc.? I purchased a plain natural raw silk large shawl before going to Spain last summer and kept it rolled up neatly in my small tote that I carried everywhere. It was a perfect wrap for cool nights, a perfect wrap for over my bathing suit in a beach town..and on several occasions I wrapped like a long skirt over a pair of shorts to pop into a village church and I looked better than alot of other tourists. In Madrid.. people dress nice; I don't know that I would've have strolled around in it there and it was very plain.

#35414 - 03/27/02 05:17 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Not sure McMad would look cool with it around his shoulders!

Around your waist, McMad and it might look pants - ha ha!

Jo

#35415 - 03/27/02 05:26 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could always shave your head and speak slightly higher than normal.Everyone will think you are David Beckham or hang out with someone with a huge weight problem that way youll look good whatever you wear.
seriously though if you feel confident and happy in a sarong then go for it! eek

#35416 - 03/27/02 05:29 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ps hi jo confused

#35417 - 03/27/02 05:33 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
It's Ibiza you want, dear, not madrid

#35418 - 03/27/02 05:48 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what a sarong is?

Madrid is a very cosmopolitan city (not as much as London as far as I know), so you may wear whatever you like smile

May be a photo of yourself with a sarong (whatever it is) could make us decide with better judgement and knowledge smile

Regards.

Fernando

#35419 - 03/27/02 06:00 PM Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Fernando, a sarong is (at least this is what I think it is) a printed rectangular piece of fabric, usually brightly colored, that you wrap around your waist and tie in a knot on one side of your waist.

No...don't wear a sarong in Madrid. Go to the Caribbean instead. smile

And yours isn't the first mention of sarongs on the board...check out this thread: http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000098

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments