Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35398 - 03/26/02 01:54 PM Last Minute Question!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hopefully someone will be kind enough to read and respond to my question within the next 12 hours! rolleyes

I am leaving for the states tomorrow. My in-laws have given me an entire cheese wheel to give to my parents. I have scoured the following govīt websites:

http://www.customs.gov/travel/know.htm#Food
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/

There are detailed lists about what cannot be brought in. Cheese is not listed. There is one section that states that pastries and CERTAIN cheeses may be brought in. However, nothing detailed. Has anybody had any experience bringing an entire cheese wheel into the USA (and declaring it, of course! wink )??

I would hate to arrive in Philadelphia tomorrow only to have them confiscate the cheese under the premise that it is not one of the allowed cheeses.

Please help! Thanks!

#35399 - 03/26/02 02:16 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Can you get it in one of those packages that are air tight? (I don' even know if this is the word!) That way thay won't say anything.

#35400 - 03/26/02 02:20 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Do you mean "al vacío"?. Well, nope. Itīs fresh from the "pueblo". I donīt think a ziploc bag would suffice and the suckerīs so big I donīt even think it would fit!

#35401 - 03/26/02 03:38 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Nuria Offline

Is cheese from leche de vaca o cabra? I'll call US customs and check for you.
Nuria

#35402 - 03/26/02 03:43 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Guapetona Offline

hola chica,

good luck on your trip tomorrow! as far as cheese goes, i brought in an entire wheel of zamorano in January and again 2 weeks ago. I declared my goods both times with no problem. I do know they look for meats and oranges. as a matter of fact 2 weeks ago when they saw i was coming from spain i was asked to go through the "grocery line" as it is called and the officer stated "spain..look for oranges"
I have noooo clue why this is..but that was in fact what they were looking for.
i've flown into philly before on usair and they do have the dogs in force there so just stay away from jamones and naranjas. enjoy your quesito!! laugh laugh

besos,
liz

#35403 - 03/26/02 03:44 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Guapetona Offline

hola chica,

good luck on your trip tomorrow! as far as cheese goes, i brought in an entire wheel of zamorano in January and again 2 weeks ago. I declared my goods both times with no problem. I do know they look for meats and oranges. as a matter of fact 2 weeks ago when they saw i was coming from spain i was asked to go through the "grocery line" as it is called and the officer stated "spain..look for oranges"
I have noooo clue why this is..but that was in fact what they were looking for.
i've flown into philly before on usair and they do have the dogs in force there so just stay away from jamones and naranjas. enjoy your quesito!! laugh laugh

besos,
liz

#35404 - 03/26/02 03:48 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Nuria Offline

I got it!!!!
I called to the Philadelphia airport and asked for a customs representative (they didn't have a phone number to call to) they told me you can bring any kind of hard, fully cured cheese. Now, is there a way that you can have a label on it? If not I am afraid they might ask you to cut the cheese eek

#35405 - 03/26/02 03:51 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nuria,
That was wheel funny!!!!"cut the cheese" laugh
Wendy

#35406 - 03/26/02 03:52 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Guapetona and Nuria ---

Nuria thanks for your generous offer. Itīs queso de oveja. Complete, entero in its casing. However, according to Guapetona, it shouldnīt be a problem bringing the wheel.

Geeze...I didnīt know they had the dogs in Philadelphia now! Argghh! The reason for the oranges is because this fall about 60% of Spainīs clementine import to the USA was jodido when the US Agricultural Agents found live Mediterranean moth larvae in a couple of the shipments. So now, they are extra careful.

Thanks for your help guys!

#35407 - 03/26/02 03:57 PM Re: Last Minute Question!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Nuria -

ĄĄĄ MILES DE GRACIAS!!!

You posted your reply as I was writing mine! Oh, and the cheese does have a label on it!

Thanks again!

PS... I am SURE they donīt want me to cut the cheese!!! eek laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments