Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35384 - 03/09/02 01:02 PM GSM Mobile phones?
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Has anyone taken a GSM phone from the U.S. and taken it with them or bought one in Europe to use there? If so, how did it go?

laugh I'm thinking from a safety perspective...besides, I intend to use it for other trips, too! :p

#35385 - 03/09/02 01:19 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(wyndyl, I just moved your topic to this forum)

You'll find information about the GSM phones in the " Cell phones, medications and maps " thread. In that thread, Antonio writes:
Quote:
the European GSM system is incompatible with the American standard so you won't be able to use an american cell phone in Europe. A Spanish GSM cell phone should work in most European countries thanks to the different agreements that phone companies have (this is called "roaming"). However, I think it's quite expensive to use this roaming service and you'd better buy a new card to use in your cell phone if you move to another country in Europe. Another problem is that cell phones in Spain are blocked intentionally so you can't change the company. There are "tricks" to crack the codes they have but I'm not sure if they always work.
And CaliBasco give the following useful link:
Quote:
If you're leaving from the US, here's a link to a rental site. I've heard ads on the radio to this effect, and from a "no strings" standpoint, I think rental is smart. I plan to rent one for next year when I go.
http://travtel.com/gsm.htm (URL updated by MadridMan)
You could also simply rent a cell phone while you're in Spain if you plan to stay in one place and be able to return it at the end of your visit. If you search CELL PHONE here in this forum you'll find a number of threads on the topic. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35386 - 03/10/02 09:01 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
daniel b Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi,
I reckon you should be able to use an American GSM phone as long as it works in either the 900MHz or the 1800 MHz, which are the bands GSM phones work currently in Europe.

At least I know it worked the other way round (a friend here in Europe that bought Motorola triband (900,1800,1900) handset and it worked fine in the States).

You can use the phone with the same SIM card (check with the co. in the US if they have roaming agreement in Spain), or just buy a new spanish SIM card which are quite cheap.

Just remember that the plug of the charger is different over here, but that shouldnt be a big problem.

Have a good time.

#35387 - 03/11/02 11:47 AM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
wyndyl Offline

daniel b and all laugh
Thanks for the info. I purchased a SIM unlocked phone in Chicago and a SIM card for Spain. Since I go to Asia also, the mobile will pay for itself.
Thanks again. wink

#35388 - 03/12/02 07:54 AM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
My brother in law visits us several times a year and he can never get his (English) mobile phone to work. On his last vist in January he bought one at El Corte Ingle for 60 Euros ($53?) and this included 48 Euros of calls, making the cost of the phone (which is light, OK and easy to use but in a disgusting shade of purple eek )about $10.

He's due here at the end of this month and he can pick up from where he left off, as I think he only has to use it every nine months or else he loses the number. In fact, for completing a Vodafone questionnaire they credited him with an additional 6 Euros of free calls too!

#35389 - 03/12/02 11:05 AM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
There are now at least two companies which offer a service plan which includes both the US and Europe.

Voicestream and Nextel both offer a rate plan which includes a bucket of minutes for your area in the US and then all calls in Europe are $0.99

If you aren't planning to use it much in Europe, this can be a good deal.
I know the Ericsson T28 World is a fantastic phone that works well on both sides of the ocean and I have heard nothing but rave reviews about it's use in Europe.
I used to be in the cell phone business and had numerous customers who traveled extensively in Europe.

#35390 - 03/12/02 12:08 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
wyndyl Offline

I am hoping I have no problems with the phone when I activate it in a few weeks. eek I suppose I'll find out as soon as I turn it on at Barajas Airport.
I decided on the Airtel SIM card. Has anyone ever encountered any problems with it or has had experience with it?
laugh Thanks in advance, everyone!

#35391 - 03/14/02 09:17 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi wyndyl,

The only problem with Airtel (now called Vodafone since it was acquired by the giant) is that the coverage is not as good as that of Telefónica. Prices are more or less competitive but Telefónica dominates the market here due to the amazing coverage they offer. Airtel (Vodafone) is the second largest cellular operator in Spain.

Have a great trip.

Saludos,
jer...

p.d Calibasco, I was looking at that rental service at http://travtel.com/gsm.htm and it IS EXPENSIVE! They even charge you for incoming calls when they are free here eek

Any rental service that charges for incoming calls and those super high rates for outgoing airtime is a major rip-off.

#35392 - 03/14/02 10:44 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
wyndyl Offline

Thanks, jer.
Maybe I will get a Sim card from them instead. laugh What's their web address?
Thanks again!
Wendy

#35393 - 03/14/02 11:28 PM Re: GSM Mobile phones?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi wyndyl,

Can you tell me more about the SIM phone--what are the details/where did you get it?

Thanks!
-GG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2458 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments