Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35336 - 01/29/02 01:33 PM ISIC Card for museum discounts?
JIE Offline

I see my musem have student admission rate which is far lower than the regular rate. My question is " Can I use my US student card?" or I need to apply " ISIC (International Student Identity Card)"?
Thanks,

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#35337 - 01/29/02 05:43 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi JIE! I'm not sure which museum in Spain you were talking about above, but I just checked Madrid's Museo del Prado website and it states the following:

Entrance Price
500 ptas: General Rate.
250 ptas: Those holding a Young Persons Card, Students (or international equivalents); Cultural and educational groups (with prior request)..

Free: Over 65's or Pensioners. Under 18's. Members of the Friends of the Museum Foundation. Cultural and educational volunteers. Unemployed.

Free: Saturdays from 14:30 to 19:00
Sundays from 09:00 to 14:00
So it looks like you're set with your student card from home, JIE. At least that's how it seems to me. (hey! I think I could dig out MY old student I.D. too to save some €s wink )

And what about the Unemployed getting in for free!! Couldn't we ALL claim to be unemployed or would we have to show our most recent "El Paro" payment receipts? heehehe.. wink

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35338 - 02/01/02 08:43 AM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I think it depends on the museum. Some may take any student card but in some others you need to have the ISIC card to show your are a student.

#35339 - 02/20/02 06:20 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I think it depends on the museum and the person working there. I know a valid ISIC card will work at any museum that offers the discount. Just be sure not to try and use an expired one.(I know that trick doesn't work)

#35340 - 02/20/02 07:27 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
nevado Offline

If you have time, the ISIC card is MUCH cheaper to buy in Spain than in the U.S. The price last year was 500pts compared to the $12 or $15 they charge in the U.S.

#35341 - 02/22/02 10:54 AM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've used the ISIC card, both as a student (green) and as faculty (orange) and gotten in FREE at the Prado (and not on the already free days, either!)

This was in '95, and the "deal" may have changed a bit since then, but after traversing 13 European countries, I realized that Spain was the most plugged-in to the ISIC card and its inherent discounts. Those tightwad Frenchies mad made me pay full price at the Louvre but the Prado was free :), the Palacio Real was free smile and the Casón del Buen Retiro was free smile. We went to the Reina Sofía on a free day, so don't know about that...

So the question remains: Why was France number one AGAIN for foreign tourist volume? Answer: Must have something to do with Jerry Lewis...

#35342 - 03/05/02 03:33 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
bascodean Offline

Loc: USA
As a US faculty member, I would like to purchase a ISIC card for travel this July. As it is much cheaper in Spain, where does one go to get one in Barcelona??

#35343 - 03/05/02 05:09 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I think you can get it here

Oficina de Turismo Juvenil. TUJUCA/TIVE
Calabria, 147
Tel: 93 483 83 78

#35344 - 03/06/02 05:28 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I too was lucky and just used my ordinary Students Union and Campus ID card (UK), to get half price in Prado, Reina Sofia etc. No questions asked. Maybe EU members are OK like this?

Jo

#35345 - 03/06/02 11:30 PM Re: ISIC Card for museum discounts?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I was told that I could have used my regular University ID card for the discount at the Prado...BUT my ID card doesn't have dates on it. It's got an issue date, but not an expiration date. The people at the desk didn't like that. But I would have been able to use it, they said, if it had had an "end date" too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2749 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments