Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35319 - 01/26/02 08:57 AM Ear plugs
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I cringed when I first saw these mentioned as an essential item but I recommended them to my soccer team for getting some sleep in a youth hostel and we ended up treasuring them from the get-go. Our night flight over had some very unhappy tots behind us and we were glad we had those little multipacks in our carry on.In Madrid they could help at 4 AM for those "Rooms with a View"

#35320 - 02/01/02 07:59 AM Re: Ear plugs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
"EH?!! WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY, SONNY?!" laugh

I agree with you, in sentiment, karenwishart. I ALWAYS take ear plugs with me on these trips and NEVER use them. I imagine putting them in my ears when I try to sleep on planes with my "neck carpet" (hahahaa!!!!) in place, being perfectly comfortable, in total silence, sleeping soundly. But the fact is, I'm too "jazzed" to sleep in the first place. In the second place, I'm worried the person next to me will have to repeat "EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! I'M GOING TO WET MY PANTS IF YOU DON'T LET ME OUT!!!" before resulting to shaking me awake. (And afterall, we can't TOUCH each other!!! Heaven forbid!! We're a CIVILIZED people, you know! rolleyes )

Secondly, I prefer to wake up early when traveling. How can I hear my alarm with ear plugs?? Wouldn't it be a bummer if I awoke at 9am and missed all those street sweepers and that FIRST batch of porras?

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35321 - 02/01/02 10:15 AM Re: Ear plugs
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM - I'm laughing over your comments with a bit of a red face :o as it is exactlyhow I feel!
BTW - amazing how we need so little sleep in Spain - and so much more at home especially in the winter- darker months!

#35322 - 02/01/02 10:21 AM Re: Ear plugs
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
MM, is nobody going to let me live down my "neck carpet" mistake?

Argh!! I should never have confessed!!

smile wink

#35323 - 02/01/02 03:58 PM Re: Ear plugs
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I am so glad I had earplugs for my stay. We could keep the window open, get a nice breeze, but not hear the traffic and all the horn honking. I wasn't a believer either until I got there.

#35324 - 02/14/02 11:46 AM Re: Ear plugs
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
OK, I've searched and I can't find "neck carpet" mentioned anywhere else. What on earth is THAT all about?

#35325 - 02/14/02 12:50 PM Re: Ear plugs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Please. Allow me... wink You'll find taravb's "neck carpet" story in her 1-29-02 posting of the " Jetlag Advice " thread in the "Transportation" forum. It's a great story. You'll enjoy it. smile

Does anyone else swear by ear plubs for flights/lodging to make you sleep better, more comfortably?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35326 - 02/14/02 01:54 PM Re: Ear plugs
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
hello everyone!

I purchased some ear plugs at Walgreen's when I last traveled by air. The package said that it would help reduce plane noise but I found that it didn't really help at all. That's one of the things I dislike about flying -- that constant noise for so many hours -- like driving in a car with the windows open for a long time. PArt of the problem is that the engine rumbles and as a low frequency you sorta feel it in your bones. Watching the movie with the volume turned up helps.

If anyone knows of a particular brand of earplugs that really helps block out noise, let me know!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#35327 - 02/16/02 10:38 AM Re: Ear plugs
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Think it depends on just how much noise really bothers you - I tried them once when I had the female half of a second grade class over for a birthday party/sleep-over (gawd - how insanely STUPID can parents be????) and, in all honesty - I felt like I had extra long q-tips in my ears! Don't even try to envision that. Can't say if ear plugs actually work or not - way too uncomfortable and 6 pairs of ear muffs over ear plugs wouldn't have deadened the din!

#35328 - 02/22/02 06:11 PM Re: Ear plugs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ear plugs are GREAT to travel with. Of course some people just cannot tolerate them (my wife for example). As mentioned in my previous post (What to pack), I use the cylindrical foam ones. I've seen them yellow, and flesh tone. Get them from Home Depot or the like. I bring about 7 pair and distribute them in my luggage, fanny pac etc. That way there is always a pair wherever I look. I wear them on the PLANE too and it helps A LOT. Follow the instructions carefully. I have also noticed that come in different sizes based on manufacter. Practice with them at home first for a few nights, see it you wake up to your alarm etc. EAR PLUGS ARE THE FIRST THINGS I PACK.

#35329 - 04/03/02 11:36 PM Re: Ear plugs
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I would die without ear plugs-- while traveling, and for catching some sleep in my VERY noisy residence hall:) smile

#35330 - 04/07/02 08:00 PM Re: Ear plugs
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
One more thing...When you have your earplugs in on the flight- be VERY aware that you will be prone to talking very loudly, without even realizing it! On my last flight, I put the plugs in, and fell asleep. About 2 hours later, a flight attendant tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to put on my seatbelt. Because, of the plugs, I could hardly hear her, and YELLED very loudly "What did you say?" eek I had no idea I had yelled so loudly, until my friend filled me in later laugh Just a thought....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1574 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments