Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35312 - 01/16/02 03:58 PM 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
At the last minute I picked up 2 items that will become part of my requirements for all future trips - a compass and a flashlight.

I purchased a small round compass with a clip/pen to attach to you or your belongings. I attached the compass onto the strap of my daypack so all I had to do was look down on my shoulder and see which direction I was heading. Although I'm pretty good with reading maps, it's confusing when you're walking deep in the heart of a medieval section of a city or driving through a poorly marked town trying to find your hotel.

I also bought an ultra-light, very small but strong flashlight. This was great for peering into the corners of dimly lit churches, getting a good look at where you're walking in the rain at night on wet cobblestones, and even looking inside a Moorish vase! wink

#35313 - 01/21/02 01:47 AM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
IcePick Offline

Loc: Seattle Wa
Great message and advice. I think I will take a mini flashlight. Sure helps when you are in the wrong part of town eek LOL

Or maybe I should use the compass first and then I won't need the flashlight. Seriously great ideas. Parts of this world are not lighted well.

#35314 - 01/21/02 10:46 AM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
You can also opt for a very large, long metal flashlight. It doubles as a defense weapon when you're being mugged laugh
Only joking.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#35315 - 01/22/02 04:19 AM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Those are great items Cathy! I also carry a small flashlight when hiking or traveling. Two other items that I find indispensible are a good penknife and wet wipes. Wet Ones produces individually wrapped wipes that I pick up everytime that I am in the states. My husband knows me as "la chica con las toallitas" smile

#35316 - 01/23/02 12:15 PM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
Anonymous
Unregistered

More Secrets Revealed!!
The wet wipes are available in packets of about 50. Its about the size of a package of cigarettes. I opt for the lemon sent version they always come in handy even as a "fresh break" to wipe your face and neck in the middle of a hot spanish summer. I keep them in my waist bag or in my day bag (small backpack). Don't forget a small lock (like Master), that is operated with a key. WHy key?? well, its eazyer to operate in the dark & no numbers to memorize. Oh and the flashlight should have a "constant on" feature and be one handed operation if possible. Get it in a day-glow color, its eazier to find in your bag or in amongst items.

#35317 - 01/23/02 01:23 PM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
The compass is so indispensable! It saves priceless vacation time that would be wasted on a street corner trying to figure out direction you are headed (and staring at the map looking like a tourist!)

I thought I'd share my two other necessities - travel journal and my new discovery - a few colored perncils, a charcoal pencil and a small pad of paper. Fun when you're dining outside.

#35318 - 01/24/02 05:03 AM Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
CathyM writes:
Quote:
I also bought an ultra-light, very small but strong flashlight. This was great for peering into the corners of dimly lit churches, getting a good look at where you're walking in the rain at night on wet cobblestones, and even looking inside a Moorish vase!

Are you sure that's a Moorish vase & not a Grecian urn?? It's also useful for finding one's way to the bathroom in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar hostal. eek
I would like to add to your list an alarm clock: not a battery powered one that goes beep beep - a wind-up travel alarm with a ringer that should wake up the dead!
There are also very compact GPS's available at reasonable prices: not much bigger than a compass but they can help get you back to where you started (set a 'waypoint'). rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments