Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35306 - 01/06/02 05:08 PM American Electronics in Spain (converter)
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I see the other post called "converter" from calie ann on 12/28, but it didn't exactly address my particular scenario.

Pardon my ignorance here, but I phoned Radio Shack on this one, and as is typical, they don't have a clue?! Perhaps anyone with experience here can assist me.

I have a few electronic travel items (necessary), like a laptop, digital camera, cell phone, battery chargers, etc.

I was hoping to be able to buy an American Power Strip, plugging all of those items into it, then taking the ONE plug end of the Power strip and plugging that into some sort of EU converter/adapter, so it can plug into a wall in Spain and all the items will function properly.

Is this possible? Anyone have any suggestions of what to do or what to buy to use several American electronic items in Spain without too much pain (I will need 4-6 plugs close to eachother)?

Thank you! laugh

EDR

#35307 - 01/07/02 01:34 AM Re: American Electronics in Spain (converter)
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
edr,

I don't know what your job is, so some of those things you need might be required for work, and I don't know if you're going for work or leisure, but if its for leisure, just drop all of that stuff, man. You don't need cellphones or laptops or any of that stuff. The more stuff you have the more of your energy you focus on dealing with it. The best advice I can give is to pack lighter than you think is possible.

When packing people tend to bring unnessecary things (be it cameras, clothing, specific shoes, etc...). For this, they get the well-being associated with being prepared for anything. However, if you pack less, the enjoyment of having things simple is much greater than that sense well-being you get from being prepared.

Well, that's just some general advice I have learned (the hard way) about travel. If this is for work, then I guess if you have to, you have to.

#35308 - 01/07/02 05:33 AM Re: American Electronics in Spain (converter)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
EDR Writes:
Quote:
I have a few electronic travel items (necessary), like a laptop, digital camera, cell phone, battery chargers, etc.

I was hoping to be able to buy an American Power Strip, plugging all of those items into it, then taking the ONE plug end of the Power strip and plugging that into some sort of EU converter/adapter, so it can plug into a wall in Spain and all the items will function properly.

I don't know if that would work. It might be 'overkill.' confused
Your U.S. cellphone won't work in Spain (different protocol); so forget that! :p
My laptop A/C adapter/charger accepts either 115 or 230 volts. I thought that was pretty standard for laptops - read the fine print on the device. All you need is the plug adapter (cheap), the same with my Norelco electric shaver. cool
Many hotels in Europe have a single 115 volt outlet in the bath with a notice saying: for electric shavers only. You could probably use that for low power consumption items such as your digital camera A/C adapter. rolleyes

#35309 - 01/07/02 12:01 PM Re: American Electronics in Spain (converter)
edr Offline

Thank you Michael Allen and Eddie! I appreciate your time.

Michael, not only is the laptop required for work, but I'm planning to move to Spain for 1-2 years. I have my own Internet Business, so I am fortunate that I can travel and still conduct business via email and the web site.

While I agree with you about packing lite, a good quality, small digital camera seems a must to me, however, because having pictures of your travels is a good thing. So many times, I've traveled and seen something so amazing and wished I'd had a camera.

Anyway, Eddie, sounds like I just need the adapter, not a converter. Most of my electronic items say AC100-240V 50-60hz, which I'm assuming means that the electronic device will automatically recognize a European wall outlet and 220V (and not get fried) as long as I have the right plug adapter (not converter) to plug my items right into the wall?

Is this correct? confused

Thank you! EDR

#35310 - 01/07/02 12:31 PM Re: American Electronics in Spain (converter)
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
Yeah, I figured that it was somehow required. After all, would anyone really want to take all that stuff on a two-week vacation!?!? Hehe. But I would still emphasize the importance of taking pictures sparingly, because it is much more important to actually soak in the atmosphere than to capture any picture. Don't see the world through your camera.

By the way, I feel that I have to plug the excellent book here because it has a LOT of travel advice, its called The Art of Travel . I would recommend everyone read it for a short vacation or a permenant move.

#35311 - 01/07/02 01:06 PM Re: American Electronics in Spain (converter)
edr Offline

Michael,

Yes, a very good book, indeed! I already found out about this book some time ago from another thread on this site. It may have been suggested by you at that time, I don't recall?

Nevertheless, I've read bits and pieces of it so far. I read more and more as I get the chance. Excellent information! Thanks again!

EDR

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments