Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35262 - 08/08/01 09:40 AM Euros or local currency?
Wendalina Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Is it better to have the currency for each country or to use the Euros?
Thanks for the help,
Wendalina cool

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#35263 - 08/08/01 09:52 AM Re: Euros or local currency?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I don't think the euro is in general circulation yet (I believe it starts Jan 1,2002), so if you are going to Europe NOW, you still have to use the local currency.

#35264 - 08/08/01 09:55 AM Re: Euros or local currency?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Euro is not working by now except for ¿American Express? cheques.

But in November, bank transfers of money will be avaliable in Euros.

#35265 - 08/08/01 06:42 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
Don't buy Pesetas here in the States... use your bank card at one of the many ATM's and only get what you need for the day.. the ATM's are everywhere! The Euro does begin general use in Spain on 1/27/02... or 27/01/02...

#35266 - 08/08/01 07:15 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I agree with jllawson, use of ATM's is easiest way to obtain local currency. The Euro, although accepted, does not have the best exchange rate at the moment. I will be using the pesata right up until the end of the year, and will regret it's demise. frown

#35267 - 08/09/01 12:45 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
From September 15th, banks will automatically convert all accounts into Euros, unless the customer request to keep them in pesetas until January 1st, 2002.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can already use the Euros in all kind of electronic transactions (ie, everytime cash is not involved).

By the way Sue, the exchange rate between the Euro and the Pesetas is fixed: 1 Euro = 166,386 pesetas. It's the Euro's exchange rate that changes with the Dollar or the Pound.

For more information about the Euro in Spain, have a look at the official site from the Ministery of Economy.

#35268 - 08/09/01 12:48 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
Wendalina Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I think I am going to use the Peseta, simply because it will be my last time to use it before the EURO takes control. Antonio, do hostels take both? does anyone take USD?

#35269 - 08/09/01 01:05 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Wendalina, Euros won't be available in cash until January 1st, 2002. Actually, banks will get them in September and some big shops will get them in December. This is for logistic reasons. It's quite complicated to deliver Euro coins and notes to every corner of Spain in a few days.

Hostels won't take Euros until they are available. However, those taking credit cards may charge you in Euros. I'm not sure about it. As for USD, some of them may take it but most of them not because then they have to go to the bank to change them and also because I don't know what are the notes like and I may get false notes.

#35270 - 08/22/01 06:53 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
16bobby Offline

Loc: bedminster, new jersey
Hi Antonio,
When I come to Spain in a couple of weeks(can't wait) I am going to bring part of my money in euro AAA travelers checks. Will the banks in Spain charge me a fee to cash me euro travelers checks or will I get entire 166,386 per euro?
Also, will the banks in Spain charge me a fee every time I use their ATM machines? My bank charges me a flat fee of $5 every time I use an ATM machine in Spain. Can't win!

#35271 - 08/23/01 07:11 PM Re: Euros or local currency?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

As far as I know, only if you have American Express checks and you cash them at their office you won't be charged any commission.

Although I think they shouldn't, banks charge commission to change money between currencies that are in the Euro.

As for ATMs, Visa / Mastercard charges all banks in the world for using their networks and banks pass these charges to their customers together with a commission from the bank where you are getting the money. You'll have to ask your bank manager about getting cash in the Spanish ATMs. There are three main networks: Servired, 4B and Red 6000. I think all Spanish banks/ saving's banks are connected to one of this networks. Maybe they charge different commissions, but I don't know.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2393 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments