Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35247 - 08/03/01 02:24 PM myths and misconceptions
Lenin Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
It was funny how much I read about what clothing to bring/where in Spain on various sites. First and most importantly I think it's blown way out of proportion. Common sense should prevail, comfortable clothes for site seeing and whatever else during the day and if you are having dinner at a nice restaurant then clean yourself up a bit.
Debunking of some things I've read.
"No one wears white socks, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts(especially with any kind of logos etc on them), or baseball caps." What a load of crap, what country are you people in? Agreed rarely will you see women in these things, even shorts, but men everywhere wear these things. No they are not all tourists because all the stores sell these items as well. They dress just the same as we do in the states, just different logos on the t-shirts and hats. And plenty of people wear jeans out at night to dinner as well. If you are dining on terraces etc, comfort was the rule of thumb. And you know what else? Except for a fine dining restaurant or upscale night club, nobody gives a rats ass what you are wearing. I mean c'mon they got better things to do with their time like enjoying the best sangria and gazpacho in the world.
One thing I never saw posted anywhere was how women/girls like to wear their pants, at least 2 sizes too small. Not a complaint just a very enjoyable observation, so women here in the states if you want to be Euro start wearing those tight pants or you won't get nearly the attention you deserve while travelling. eek

#35248 - 08/03/01 02:58 PM Re: myths and misconceptions
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Fairly accurate observations, comrade Lenin. I've been to Spain once,and I rarely saw men wearing shorts, except on the Costa del Sol. People in shorts in Madrid were invariably tourists (such as myself). Just my two cents. Power to the Proletariat! rolleyes

#35249 - 08/04/01 02:50 AM Re: myths and misconceptions
salbolt Offline

Loc: sydney, australia
I was reading an article in Spanish Marie Claire a few months ago, which was about two people dressed in (trendy) jeans and sneakers trying to get into some of the most fashionable nightclubs in Madrid. I think of the six places that they tried, only one place wouldn't let them in wearing jeans and sneakers, and it sounded like they were quite surprised that it wasn't more difficult to get into these places!

#35250 - 08/04/01 11:47 PM Re: myths and misconceptions
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
from what i understand, the pants are often purchased by spanish women and then tailored to fit tighter and that this service is fairly inexpensive. besides, the sizes are tighter anyway.

but from a medical standpoint, with tighter pants come more womanly problems such as increased cases of yeast infections. these things need to breath man! from what i understand from reading the health literature my doctor gave me, cases of yeast infection are higher in spain for this reason.

good observations of the men's clothes, though i did notice that generally men were a little more aware of their clothes. even the heavy metal guys seemed a little cleaner and more polished than your average metal person here in the states.

#35251 - 08/06/01 03:45 AM Re: myths and misconceptions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Kurt. Most people wear trousers except for tourist resorts. And, of course, if you go to a disco you will not be admitted without shoes, pants and shirt/polo, unless you are a tourist. Which, by the way, may be what happened to the guys Salbot writes about.

#35252 - 08/06/01 10:48 AM Re: myths and misconceptions
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I know when I was in Salamanca, one of my Spanish flatmates first semester couldn't get into some of the clubs when he wore sneakers and jeans. He said as soon as the bouncers knew he was Spanish they wouldn't let him in, but would let in tourists wearing similar clothes - assuming they had more money to spend, I suppose.

#35253 - 08/06/01 11:01 AM Re: myths and misconceptions
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Actually, Nicole, after speaking with those same bouncers in Salamanca, they told me they turned your flatmate away because he was rooming with you. Apparently your reputation preceded even him! The bouncer mumbled something about "pungent sausage smells" or something like that... :p

Nice to see you back on the board...you can slug me in the arm the next time we all get together for an LA dinner.

#35254 - 08/06/01 03:36 PM Re: myths and misconceptions
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I'll look forward to it!

Nicole (who is working on strengthening her leg muscles in order to give Calibasco a much deserved kick in the *ss) wink

#35255 - 08/06/01 05:48 PM Re: myths and misconceptions
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
laugh

[CaliBasco, who plans to invest in a kevlar sweater and titanium drawers just prior to dinner with Nicole]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1587 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments