Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35204 - 08/15/01 11:08 AM Re: Currency Exchange...
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
We used Canadian AMEX Traveler's Cheques while in Spain and Portugal. Find an AMEX office and you'll be able to cash them there without any fees. That way if you have naything left when you come home you aren't hurting to cash them, or use them for shopping at home. We also used the ATM and VISA which gave us good current rates. This helped minimized the amount of cash we carried. This was the key when we went to Morocco. Don't bring too much with you to Morocco. I would use your credit card rather than taking the chance of cash being stolen from you, and then you're out of luck. Most places in Morocco quoted us prices in American dollars. Try to bring some cash to get you thru the first 48 hours of your trip. Just in case offices are closed when you arrive.

#35205 - 08/15/01 02:10 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I'm totally confused as to why anyone would want to carry travelers checks, or exchange money, while in Spain. I usually arrive there with about $30 in cash in my pocket, ATM cards, and credit cards. I never use the cash... Since I can go to an ATM and draw out money, why would I want to mess with the travelers checks? It's too costly, and a total waste of time.

Traveling in Spain isn't any different than taking a weekend trip away from your home in the States, Canada, or anywhere else. You don't get travelers checks for that, do you? Why bother to do it there?

As far as ATM cards go, make sure you have two seperate accounts, with different ATM cards that you take along. Then put money in a savings account, and tell the bank to allow you to transfer a specific dollar figure (We always say $100 from each) per day, with a maximum figure of $250 in each card. That way, if one is stolen, you can still use the second one, and it isn't a problem, because the money will be transferred only to the ATM card that is valid. Of course you have to notify the bank if one is stolen or lost, so they can cancel it.

As for credit cards, it's wise to carry at least two or three Visa cards so you have the same protection.

Cash? Travelers checks? A waste of time, a waste of money, and too much of a hassle to deal with. Give me plastic anytime, and I won't waste half of each day trying to get the darned things cashed.

By the way. We did six weeks in Spain/UK using this approach on two occasions, and never had a problem, and got the best exchange rates possible, and in the currency of the country where we were at. I left Spain with the same $30 in cash in my wallet.

Wolf (Who is trying to say that Spain is not a backwards nation.) smile

#35206 - 08/15/01 04:01 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
Wolf - I have to agree with you.

But I must also confess that I just purchased $650 worth of them because AmEx was running a promotion offering a free companion airfare if you purchase them.

What did I do with the traveler's checks? I deposited them back into my account to pay the AmEx bill for the traveler's checks! laugh

Pookita

#35207 - 08/15/01 04:20 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Tia Offline

Wolf, you are right to a certain extent. One should definitely not make a muddle of it.

IMHO Spain is not a backward country even if I couldn´t pay with my VISA-card at Hostal Austria in Granada (back home I found out in the statement of my account that they obviously had tried to confused since there was a withdrawel of 10 (ten) pesetas from my account confused eek laugh . I don´t consider bringing any action against them wink.

I usually have a VISA-card and some cash with me, because I have to pay 3$ to the bank every time I draw out some money with the ATM outside Sweden.

Tía (who cuts up the application of a summons and makes a good swap by exchanging the banker)

#35208 - 08/15/01 05:58 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Wolf Offline

Pooky, Tia,

I love it! Free tickets because you bought them, and a 10 pta charge when they didn't even accept the card? rolleyes

The companion fare shows how desperate they are to keep people using T-checks, and the 10 ptas shows the person who was running it through was clueless as to how it worked...

What's nice about the ATM cards is the fact you can go a block away, pull out cash of the realm, and be back in a heartbeat with what you need to complete the transaction.

Wolf (Whose motto is; "Have plastic! Will travel!") laugh

#35209 - 08/16/01 12:03 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
ATM cards are great, but not all ATM cards can be used in Europe. Double check with your bank before you rely on it when you get there. As for paying for traveler's cheques, you don't if you're a member of AAA. And if there is ever a problem, like they get lost or stolen, you'll have less difficulty sorting it out then you would with a credit card company. That's the benefit of them. What would possess anyone to bring more than one ATM card and credit card to a region that is prone to petty crime is beyond me.

#35210 - 08/16/01 01:43 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Wolf Offline

Can,

We always carry extra protection. If we have to shut down one card because of theft, we always have another to rely on. We don't use ATM or credit cards that will allow us to be bilked out of more than $50, and each one of them is doubly protected because we won't lose anything since they are "picture ID" inclusive... smile Fortunately for me, nobody in this world is nearly as ugly, so they could never pass as me... frown If it isn't my face, and they let someone use it, the merchant who allowed it is liable.... period. There are no questions asked.

You're right about free with AAA. But you pay a premium price when you cash them in. I know, having made that unfortunate mistake when we traveled Europe for the very first time. We were being charged as high as $20 to cash $250 worth. Even worse, were getting charged an exorbitant fee by hotels to cash them, and getting a low ball figure on the exchange rate. My guess is, we were losing somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 to 12% across the board. The problem is, you don't see it, and won't because it's disguised in the exchange, though considered legal.

Along that line, one day I made the mistake of grabbing my wife's CC and headed out the door to buy a few things at the grocery. I stepped up in line, whipped out my trusty Visa card, and handed it to the clerk, who looked at it, and at me... then back at the picture... and me again... Then, in broken english said, "Did you have a sex change?" rolleyes

I looked at the card and started laughing. I explained to her that it was my wife's, and gave her my ATM card to use instead. Yes, there are pitfalls in using cards. That's the biggest one I know of.

Wolf (Whose wife is much better looking than he is.)

#35211 - 08/16/01 04:04 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Wolf - Agree with everything you said - and thank you for the idea of a second ATM card - the checking and saving accounts concept. Never crossed my mind before - but makes a ton of sense re access to cash if worse comes to worse re theft.

#35212 - 08/16/01 04:34 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Of equal importance...where do you carry your ATM card (& cash)? Back pocket or in a bag is the wrong answer. Money belts/neck pouches are so uncomfortable noticeable too.

For guys I suggest a small cloth bag stuffed into the front of your trousers. I use one with a cord tie that I simply slip around my belt so the bag doesn't fall down anywhere it's not supposed to laugh .

It's a little awkward when you need to get into it but that's the point. While spending the day with the renowned Dr. Everett in Madrid and Segovia I was surprised when he asked where I was carrying my money. I was even more surprised when I showed him and he was wearing the same thing (a resident of Madrid for over 40 yrs)!

Leche

#35213 - 08/16/01 06:53 PM Re: Currency Exchange...
Wolf Offline

Leche,

Sounds like Dr. Everett, you, and I shop at the same places... smile That's exactly what I use, and carry a $2 wallet for the thieves to steal. Inside the wallet? A folded piece of paper with the outline of my hand, one finger extended. Kind of a "gift" to anyone who wants the wallet that bad... laugh A nice "social gesture," don't you think?

To me, it's worth the loss of that crummy wallet... now, if only I could see the expression on the face of any idiot that takes it... that would be priceless!

Puna,

It's the slickest way to go. I was getting frustrated by the time I was into my third or fourth currency, and had pockets full of money that I had no idea where I was ever going to use it... rolleyes

Can you imagine trying to keep Francs, Pounds, Pesetas, and Kroners in the same bunch? Been there... done that... nearly ended up going to the looney bin trying to keep the moneys straight. I'm too old for that! I can only count to 11 as it is. Of course that's easy. I just count my fingers.

Wolf (Who believes nobody wants to go where he keeps his valuables, without an invitation... wink )

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2700 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments