Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#35168 - 09/19/01 04:55 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Senga Offline

Loc: Atlanta
This is a great thread! After "listening" to everyone's advice, I went with an option that gives me both: wheeled and backpack. REI has a great bag, one size is legal carry-on, the other is 4" larger. The larger model also has a zip off day pack. The great thing about REI is that they guarantee all of their products 100%. I found their models better than the Eagle or Swiss Army luggage.[email]null[/email]

#35169 - 10/16/01 10:29 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
alfavela Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
This is exactly the question that I have been pondering. I leave for España in 3 weeks, and have been debating which to bring. My mom, who has travelled to Spain, and is by no means a backpacker, recommends the luggage with wheels since this can be locked. How much of a concern is leaving luggage in the room? I do not expect to be very concerned leaving a camera discreetly in the room (of course, youth hostels are different) and I always carry important papers with me. ALso, isn't a bookbag more permeable to theft in general (ripping, cutting)?
What I also wonder is what do the Spanish kids who go on holiday carry? I am perhaps deluded in thinking I may be able to "blend in." Each seems to have its advantages I guess.
Sorry if this sounds paranoid. I am from Miami you know, and I just wanted to be specific.

Thanks! Alfavela alfavela@hotmail.com

#35170 - 10/16/01 12:27 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, I'm 23 years-old and I usually travel with a bag, unless I have a great amount of things (clothes) to carry.

I have done more than 3 dozens of trips throughout my country and I have never been robbed or stolen. I've been in hostels, hotels and private houses. Just keep an eye on your cases (leaving it unattended in an airport usually ends with your case stolen) and don't leave valuable things visible in your rooms (althoght service waitresses are generally more than honest, there are always exceptions, or someone can enter your room by any other way).

For me the best place to have your documentation is with yourself, but separated from the money (in case you are robbed)and not accesible for someone who tries to take it.

For your information: Spain is one of the most secure countries I know. It is more secure (in my honest opinion) than the average of the USA. I've never seen here fire arms, nor I've never been robbed or assaulted. In the USA I saw fire arms... (for the first and shocking time in my life).

Enjoy!

Fernando

#35171 - 10/17/01 10:20 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just thought I would add my ideas to this question of what to take. I have used a wheeled case on several occasions only to find on either inward or outward journeys the case has been covered in oil or damaged by the dragging action of the chaps who do the loading. I have just bought one of those holdalls on wheels for my next trip and hope this will not receive as much damage as previously encountered. Also, I think that the majority of wheeled cases are quite heavy when empty, thereby cutting down on the amount of clothes etc. to comply with weight restrictions.
Sue.

#35172 - 10/17/01 06:09 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Alfavela and All,
Decisions, decisions...

Sue you listed the major drawbacks of a "wheeled" suitcase, in addition to what has already been mentioned in this thread, the worst enemy is the cobblestones!

Alfavela, the question you need to ask yourself is can you carry the weight of a loaded backpack on your back? If you travel light, and I would advise that, you may find that you can easily handle a back pack.

Or, you might buy a combination backpack with wheels. These are real handy. I have one of these and I use it when I go to the University where I am a student. When I use the stairs I put it on as a backpack and when I am rushing from class to class I roll it, unlike you I'm no spring chicken, so rolling is wonderful.

In order to make your decision a good idea is to try each one out for a day and see which one you are most comfortable using.

For travelling I prefer the a small wheeled carryon, mainly because it's easy on my back and it gives me a lot of independence. Through the years I've learned to pack as light as I can.

If you feel comfortable in Miami(I've lived there) you will not have any problems in Spain. Use the same safety skills you use in Miami and you won't have any problems.

Buena Suerte y Buen Viaje!
________
Booklady: Who Totes Tons of Heavy Books Daily

laugh

#35173 - 10/20/01 11:52 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
new york Offline

Loc: NYC
Kuba

There are some great deals on backpacks at: www.rei.com smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments