Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35158 - 08/09/01 11:38 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Canada Girl, I'm curious...how did your rolling backpack work out?

You backpack users are a hardy bunch! I can't imagine carrying the weight of my suitcase on my back down metro steps! When I backpack these days I use hiking sticks to keep me balanced and somehow I don't see myself doing that in Madrid!

#35159 - 08/11/01 11:02 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
la maestra, I bragged about one of those combos earlier and there is no way I would have wanted that thing on my back when is was F90+! I agree w/a previous post, the smaller day pack on the back and a smallish rolling suitcase that you could handle carrying when necessary is best.

#35160 - 09/09/01 11:29 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
16bobby Offline

Loc: bedminster, new jersey
I'm coming to Spain for 2+weeks in a couple of days and trying to pack light. I would like to have one weeks cloths washed and iron if possible. Is it convienent to do so throughout Spain? Are laundrimats readly available for me do the wash myself or can I just drop my cloths off to be washed and pick them up after several hours? Thanks for the help.

#35161 - 09/17/01 02:28 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I'm going to Madrid for three weeks on September 29 to study Spanish at an escuela. I'm staying with a Spanish family close to the school. I've never been away for so long and would welcome advice on several topics? What's the weather like in Madrid during the first 3 weeks of October? Is it as handy to get laundry done in Madrid as it is in the States?

#35162 - 09/17/01 06:21 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Marcel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey Arthur,

I happen to be leaving for an escuela in Madrid on September 29th as well. I too will be living with a Spanish family close to the school. I thought it was kind of a cool concidence that we were leaving on the same day. Maybe we can meet up or something. I've never been for so long either. What school are you studying at? I'll be at Don Quijote. But anyways, to answer your question you might want to ask the school to see if the family provides laundry service. I know mine does and it would be pretty convenient.

Saludos,
Marcel

#35163 - 09/17/01 06:35 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi all-

I agree with Marcel, check if the family provides laundry service, or if you can even have them throw it in for a little charge. It would save you a lot of hassle. When I studied in Spain my family provided meals, laundry, towels, etc, and it was wonderful!

Are you guys going the wheeled suitcase or backpack route? I've always opted for the wheeled suitcase, and it's worked out fine for me. (See MadridMan I CAN keep it on topic!!) It seems those giant backpacks would be too cumbersome and heavy.

Buena suerte!!

GranadaGirl (Who's still devising a plan to get back to Spain a.s.a.p.!)

#35164 - 09/17/01 06:42 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahhaa.. GranadaGirl, you GOT me! I was reading a long, rolling my eyes rolleyes and WHAM! you JUMPED back on topic. Thanks! Hahaha... Good job! smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35165 - 09/17/01 11:29 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Any time, MM!! laugh

-GranadaGirl (Using her WHEELED SUITCASE as a desk chair...) rolleyes

#35166 - 09/18/01 07:25 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I apologize to all for getting off topic. This message board stuff is still a little new to me. Thanks anyway to Marcel and Grenada Girl for your sound advice.
Put me in with the wheeled suitcase crowd. I agree totally with GG on this. It's just much, much easier to deal with than the duffle packs.

#35167 - 09/19/01 01:42 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Kuba Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Hi Travelers-
I posted the question about 'Wheels or Pack' in June, shortly before my trip...After a 3-week trip, and being back for a few months, I now have the answer...But first, I just have to say thanks to MM for making me feel more comfortable traveling to you-know-where...It turned out to be a great, safe, fun trip and I appreciate MM and all participants to this site, for making my trip so much fun...
Now, wheels or pack? I took a pack, as the person I traveled with took one (I met her on Craig's List!). I could have gone either way (not w/her!), but it worked fine w/the pack. I did notice that at times it would have been easier in the heat w/wheels -- but also hard to control wheels in the rough sidewalks, etc. I noticed that "younger" folks in Spain never tucked their t-shirts in and they never had wheels...being a youthful wannabe at 47, I was glad I took a pack...When I can no longer manage a pack, I'll take wheels...If I had to do it again, I would take a pack, just like I did...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments