Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35148 - 06/09/01 07:19 PM Wheels or Pack?
Kuba Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Hi out there!
I will be leaving for you-know-where in about a week and am not sure if I should take a small bag w/wheels (the size that will fit in an overhead), along with a day pack, or a small back-pack??? I don't want to look like a geek pulling this bag, on the otherhand, it is much easier on the back...
My travel partner is taking a pack and I kind of like the convenience of wheels...
I am traveling for a 3 weeks in Spain..about 2-4 days per city...
Any thoughts about this? :p

#35149 - 06/09/01 08:26 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
With a pack you have your hands free. I have done both and prefer the pack. Hve fun!

#35150 - 06/09/01 09:59 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Rolling bags are absolute torture on cobblestones. Try running to the bus station, completely hungover, without any sleep, with a sweatshirt tied to the handle of the bag. It tipped over every five feet, the sweatshirt fell off into traffic, and I was ready to keel over myself by the time we actually got where we needed to be. I vote for backpack too.

#35151 - 06/10/01 11:03 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I just got a soft-side (lighter weight) expandable rolling suitcase that converts to backpack and is carry-on (til I really stuff the expandable sections.It even has extendable front legs so it stands up when really loaded.It should be the perfect combo for both running thru airports and on cobblestone. It is made by Luggage America,Inc. 1-800-255-2990.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#35152 - 06/11/01 06:29 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Take the pack. That is all.

#35153 - 06/12/01 08:54 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And then they invented the backpack with wheels!!! Check out this link - you might be interested! http://jw-us.tops.net/images/Jpgglobe/23360690.jpg

I'm sure that there are other brands that make this type of pack, but I thought you might like to visualize it! Mind you, it's kind of bulky - that's why I didn't buy it.

SusiLaGallega wink

#35154 - 06/17/01 11:34 AM Re: Wheels or Pack?
CanadaGirl'nVAbyWayofCA Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Samsonite has a cool backpack w/wheels ($200). It's rugged and functional. We just bought one for our trip to Spain next week. 4 of us going, 3 w/roller bags, 1 w/roller - backpack. I bet the backpack will win!
Have fun. wink

#35155 - 06/27/01 01:13 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
Chip Offline

Back pack. Hands down. Wheels are okay if you're walking down a long hallway, but they just don't cut it walking down the average Spanish street. cool

#35156 - 06/27/01 02:09 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I take a suitcase on wheels for my serious packing and a small carry on/backpack for the things I absolutely have to have handy on the plane. I generally take taxis from the airport (or wherever) to my hotel, so it isn't a major problem hauling the thing across cobblestones. While a lot of contributors on this board are young, sturdy folks who don't mind struggling with luggage of any size on metros and buses, SOME of us would prefer springing for the cab fare so we can drop the bulky stuff off and THEN hit public transportation. (I can picture myself, jet-lagged and wobbly, falling face first down the stairs of the metro with this mammoth pack on my back!)

Now, if the plan is to travel from town to town with great frequency AND the individual is able to manage easily with a large pack, that is probably the best way!

Personal preference, physical abilities and/or disabilities, and traveling style are all important considerations! If you decide on a large backpack, I strongly suggest you load the sucker up to maximum capacity and walk around the house with the thing on for several hours to see how the contraption works for you. I've been hiking with folks who moan and groan an hour into the trip because the pack rubs them in the wrong place! You will be living with your packing gear the whole time you are on the road, and it make the trip a lot more pleasant if you are compatible.

#35157 - 07/05/01 12:34 PM Re: Wheels or Pack?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I am in Palencia as I am writing and my advice is whatever you are taking, take half as much! The air is so dry evrything dries quickly.I´m finding 1 black skirt, 1 black capris, 1 khaki walking shorts, little black dress,a cardigan or jkt, anda few little tank tops of varying degrees of dressiness(they have great sales going on everywhere so I could have brought 1 and bought 10!)are all a girl needs. and just bring your best walking shoes and buy 5 pairs of sandals when you get here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments