Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35081 - 05/19/01 12:44 PM Would you take a camcorder?
mika Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Hello, All,

I'm wondering if I should purchase a camcorder (to take with the camara) for my trip to Spain in July. I'm afraid if I don't, I'll miss a memorable moment when I'm back in the states. On the otherhand, it's one more thing I'll need to try to fit into my dwindling budget before I leave.

Any input is very much appreciated. Thank you. - Mika

#35082 - 05/19/01 05:01 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
See if you can get a good deal. My father brought a camcorder when my family visited me in Spain last year, and that video is one of my most treasured possessions. It's good for capturing the life of the place you're in and for festivals, flamenco shows, etc.

#35083 - 05/19/01 08:52 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
mika Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Thank you very much, Majesty. I think I will look for a camcorder that fits both its purpose and my budget. It may sound silly, but I'm looking forward to taping even the coffee I've been reading so much about. Again, many thanks. - Mika

#35084 - 05/21/01 10:49 AM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Of course there are two sides to every story. I've taken a camcorder twice, and although I've also treasured my images, I am a horrible videographer. The "image stabilization" that is so highly touted is ineffective, and at least from the first trip, most people watching my first foray into vacation videos got motion sickness.

The best reason I can give you to NOT bring a camcorder is that you miss so much. How is that possible, you say? I found I was more worried about "filming everything" and checking the battery level, tape left, etc. that I forgot to breathe in the ambience and just take things in with my senses. Between a camera and a camcorder, I didn't take the time to enjoy just being there.

If you plan to return, you may want to take your first trip to "scout the location" as they do for motion pictures. The memories recorded on your brain will be all the more vivid as you "suck the marrow out of Spain".

Either way, enjoy your trip...¡bien viaje!

#35085 - 05/26/01 03:24 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
mabella Offline

Loc: miami, fl. usa
yeah, it's like choosing the lesser of two evils. It's seems everytime we decide to leave the camcorder at the hotel the second we start to talk about how great it is to walk around without it, we see something we regret not being able to film. I usually end up taking it everywhere near the begining of the trip and leaving it behind near the end. I must tell you though, right before coming on the computer, my husband and I were viewing the video we taped of our recent trip! I is wonderful to recapture all those moments.

#35086 - 05/27/01 07:30 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
lasgaviotas Offline

Loc: San Diego
Do take a camcorder. I have a large
camera bag that I wear over my shoulder
that I carry maps, my other camera, misc.
folders that I pick up, even money that
I hide. The bag never leaves me. I agree
that you do miss certain sights by always
using the camera but the memories on film
are worth it. I hate regretting not taking
a picture. Have a great trip, we are
spending 10 days in Spain in September.

#35087 - 05/27/01 09:26 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I suppose the new digital camcorders are the hybrid of this post's ideas: You can video and always print a digital still. Clever...

I agree...take the camcorder. It is a necessary "evil".

#35088 - 05/29/01 01:33 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
a resounding YES! to the camcorder... if you want to capture the ambience and sounds/feel of Spain to relive later you absolutely need it. Chances are you will be carrying a small bag around with you anyway, just wrap your camcorder in a small towel or something and leave it's gigantic case in the room. I documented the beautiful fountains at the Plaza de Colón, the improvised soccer game the kids were playing on their lunch hour in the park, and the grandeur of Semana Santa that a still camera could never have documented.

Leche

#35089 - 11/04/01 05:04 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
I am sort of anti-camcorder, and I wish I was a part of this board to share my insight into the situation before you went on your trip. Read this article from the book The Art of Travel . I can't plug this book enough! You would think that I have some something to gain by the promotion of this book, but this book COMPLETELY changed my ideas of travel and appreciating other cultures. Eventually, I think that we will all gain wisdom from extensive travel, but I believe this book will help others lower the learning curve for great travel.

hehe, well, this is a good thing to think about for future people going to take cameras. I would recommend taking a camera (not video) for future trips

#35090 - 11/04/01 06:52 PM Re: Would you take a camcorder?
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
If you have the mind of an artist and love to make a moving film, take the camcorder.

If the camcorder is a labor and you don't really want to do the "work", it will cramp your style.

One last consideration, don't buy a camcorder days before leaving. You need to experiment with recording and learn how to use it to tell a story.

I have traveled to Spain two ways:
1) camcorder + still photography 35 mm
2) one time use disposible camara

I read that article mentioned above from "The Art of Travel". In summary, everyone is different and everyone takes away a different level of enlightenment from a travel experience.
Once, a colleague criticized my video taping of an event. I just let it slide. Hours later, she was begging for me to pull out my camara and record something for her. To me it was mixed messages.

I love photography. It doesn't matter if I am in Spain or in New York, life is so beautiful. You can capture images with words and you can capture images with film.

I use my photography skills at my job of teaching teenagers, so I am very pro camara art. Kids like it too.

People, do read the linked article above. It is worth your time.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments