Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35003 - 04/23/01 12:52 PM Which is more fashionable for men?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I have a variation on the jeans question. Which would you consider more fashionable for men (visiting Spain)--black jeans or blue jeans? I'm sure my husband's travel wardrobe will consist primarily of Dockers-type pants and slightly dressier business casual slacks with a pair of jeans thrown in as a "durable" alternative.

#35004 - 04/24/01 06:06 AM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I don't pack jeans - they're too heavy. If you must, I have seen wealthy Spanish people in Andalucia riding horseback wearing Levi's (blue denim, not black). Most of the people one sees wearing Jeans in Spain are wearing European 'knock offs,' and they are just not the same as the American bluejeans they try to imitate. The material is much lighter and the 'cut' is noticeably different.

Levi's does manufacture for the European market but the model numbers are different. Once, someone asked us to bring a certain model # Levi's - we had to call Levi's 800 number to get the model number translated to one that's available here in the U.S.A. rolleyes

#35005 - 04/25/01 04:13 AM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I had not problems shopping in Spain at the stores "El Corte Ingles", they know the american measures. I bougth pants, shoes very fast, it was cheap and what everybody was wearing.

Rafael

#35006 - 04/25/01 10:04 AM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
Agree that most regular consumer items (non-food) found in the US are available in Spain at prices very comparable. A lot of inexpensive clothing, etc. comes in from low wage countries such as China.
For some reason, Levi's cost almost twice as much as frequently on sale in the US.

#35007 - 04/25/01 03:24 PM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
If you are to pack jeans for your husband, I would for sure bring the black ones, especially if he would prefer to attempt to fit in. Actually, the one request I got from a Spanish friend last year when I went to visit was that I bring him black Levi's 501s.
Definitely bring the black ones. Am I correct in thinking that they no longer make 501s?

#35008 - 04/25/01 03:38 PM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
The reason why Levi's are so expensive in Spain is really incredible.

When they started to sell them here, they used to be as cheap as in the US. However, for some reason people wouldn't buy them. Guess what Levi's did?. They made them more expensive and... incredibly eek people bought (and still buy) them at those "interesting" prices!!!!.

Sometimes it's very strange to understand the reasons that lead consumers to buy a product. But having a high price, is quit surprising.

[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#35009 - 04/26/01 07:10 AM Re: Which is more fashionable for men?
Effie Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Hola Antonio,

The best explanation I've heard for the phenomenon you describe was in Iceland (of all places). Levis may be "reassuringly expensive". If it costs a lot, then it MUST be good.....

Effie

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments