Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#34990 - 04/07/01 06:34 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
perfecta Offline

Loc: Minot, ND, USA
Everytime I have traveled to Spain with students I am very specific about the clothes I want them to take along. We are from a very rural area and my poor students are 'culture shocked' not only with the foreign country/culture experience but also in the urban/rural experience. They have no idea how to dress to visit the Prado nor would their parents. Top that with Americans in general are so much more casual. 'Dress Down Fridays' flopped here when employers found out we defined 'dressed down' as spandex. Time magazine quoted employers as being shocked by people showing up to work in clothes better suited for washing the car! So my poor rural babies need to be told 'what' is appropriate for our Spain trip in June. I insist the girls wear sun dresses, skirts/skorts, and tell them tennis shoes are JUST TOO WARM! My trip always includes a 'home stay' week with a Spanish family and I tell the girls to keep their short-shorts for when they are chasing around with the native teenages..that is if that appears to be what they are wearing. Many Spanish teens wear (tight) (black) pants and jeans but we are just not acclimatedfor this type of clothing in 40+ C temperatures.

I wear the same as my girls and no one ever guesses me for an american...not a Spaniard either but usually French or German...someone from 'out of town'.

Mostly I want to eliminate the 'raucous' behavior so common amoungst american teens and often changing their appearance alters these undesirable behaviors as well.

Also,the sad fact is,many americans become the 'targets' of foreign violence due to our country's politics and I see no point in flaunting our status and provoking a posible 'situation' especially when I am responsible for other people's children.

#34991 - 04/09/01 06:11 AM Re: what to wear in Spain?
terrapin Offline

Loc: Mataro,Cataluna,Spain
Im with you, MadridMan. The women here are enough to make a man go blind. So if you want to blend in girls, I'd recommend some skin tight pants like the locals. Couldn't hurt. Im gonna go take a cold shower now.

#34992 - 04/09/01 11:48 AM Re: what to wear in Spain?
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Mcclarke: It is nice to see you back in action and many Thanks for the Wash. Post site as I used it for help in another trip.Hope all is well with you and your daughter.Regards Ski

#34993 - 04/29/01 06:07 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
I'm sorry, but I just can't see wearing tight pants in 80 degree heat and I know I'm going to sound crass here, but there are all kinds of gynecological reasons why that isn't going to work for most women.

McClarke: That is a very funny picture. It looks like most of the people at the Mall of America on a good day laugh. And strangely enough, the alternative looks like office casual here.

I wonder about the jean thing too. Would it be too hot to wear jeans in Madrid during May/June/July and how cool is cool when people are saying Madrid has cool nights that would require jeans?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments