Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34980 - 03/28/01 12:57 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(in my best gurgling/salivating Homer Simpson sound effect)Aaaaaaaoooghhhh.... (end sound effect) Spanish women in skirts/dresses with little "ease".... PLEASE! You're making me CRAZY!!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34981 - 03/28/01 08:28 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
And don't get me started on the pants Spanish men wear, MM...

#34982 - 03/29/01 10:46 AM Re: what to wear in Spain?
mel-knee Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
When I studied in Sevilla, a lot of the American girls tried very hard (always unsuccessfully)to blend in. Those tight clothes looked pretty uncomfortable!

Personally, I've got light hair, pale skin, and blue eyes. At 5'8", you would've thought I was an amazon by the myriad of comments I got on my height! No clothes or makeup on this earth would've helped me pass for a sevillana, so I didn't bother.

And I was never targeted by pickpockets. Men in tight pants--well, that's another matter.

#34983 - 03/29/01 04:32 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, mel-knee--
I thought I could pass for Spanish--I have dark hair and green eyes, with freckles--I THOUGHT I looked a lot like the Spanish exchange student we had when I was in high school (sort of northern Spanish, with those freckles!). It was so frustrating to me to "look American" the whole time I studied in Salamanca--even with Spanish friends, a doting and wonderful Spanish boyfriend (wonder what ever became of Arturo, anyway?), and all the "right" clothes and makeup. I hung out at all-Spanish bars, listed to Spanish music, didn't chew gum (another giveaway, I am told), and even carried my boyfriend's Fortuna cigarettes in my purse (though I didn't smoke them--ick!). I never could figure out what it was that gave me away.

Even with all the attempts at blending in, it was amazing to me that, THREE YEARS after I studied in Salamanca, I walked back into a shop on the Rua Mayor and the shopkeeper said, "You've been here before...you had longer hair, right? And you're American...."

Pathetic! I guess I was just born in the wrong place...oh well!

But still, my advice to travelers is to have fun trying! We won't get it right, but we'll feel better for having made the effort.
Tara

#34984 - 04/06/01 03:51 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I just read an article today - 4/06/01 from the Washingtpn Post "How Not to Dress for European Trip. http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/euro/front.htm
Very informative!

#34985 - 04/06/01 05:37 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I love hearing all the comments about peoples study abroad experiences! I have to say I'm a bit worried about that myself. I'm 5'11, I have medium brown hair, blue eyes and an average skin tone. I guess theres no real chance of my fitting in. But I'll do the best I can!

#34986 - 04/06/01 09:35 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Other than because of the challenge, I don't understand the need to appear Spanish! There is nothing intrinsically wrong with being American! French or Italian women would never attempt to conceal their national origen...why should we? I used to get a kick out of letting people know that I was an American who spoke Spanish! If anything, the world thinks we can't speak anything but English, and I felt I was doing my part to set things straight. Once a bus driver stopped the bus and had everyone turn around to look at me as he announced "Miren...una americana que sabe hablar español!"

These days when I travel in Spain I am carrying a backpack with the name of the tour group on it and am followed by a group of VERY American teenagers! I try to dress like a teacher on a casual day (not like the kids, but not like I'm working in the office either!) I couldn't possibly hide my nationality, but I want to promote the idea that we American females have our own distinctive sense of style wink

#34987 - 04/06/01 09:48 PM Re: what to wear in Spain?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I definitely agree about American Women having their own distinct style and so on. I'm in no way trying to conceal my own identity really, but there is something about trying to fit in when you're trying to immerse yourself in someone elses culture. Besides, it will be fun to develop a little more of a European flavor for the short time I am there.

#34988 - 04/07/01 12:47 AM Re: what to wear in Spain?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I looked at the site mentioned on how not to look like a tourist, and if that is the "American" look, then I can surely see why one would want to fit in better. Yikes!

For what it's worth...back when I studied in Spain I was 5'6" with long dark hair and brown eyes. At the end of the year, even with Spanish clothes and Spanish friends, no one thought I was Spanish. Some asked if I was South American, and others thought I might be Polish or Russian, but Spanish...never. There is a walk I could never master, and there are always little subtle things, like the way one holds a cup, perhaps, that will give one away as a non-Spaniard. But I always felt I fit in anyway! A lot of what the European style is, I think, is attitude. I think (this is the motherly old teacher talking now!) that when you return from Spain most people here in the States will notice that something about you has changed. The European style...and the attitude that goes with it...will follow you home! smile

#34989 - 04/07/01 09:54 AM Re: what to wear in Spain?
mabella Offline

Loc: miami, fl. usa
Mclark, that was a great site, I checked out the other articles and they have lots of info. Thanks! smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments