MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34925 - 03/11/02 10:10 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Well, MM, that may just have been more than we wanted to know about YOUR morning routine!!

wink

#34926 - 03/12/02 12:05 AM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Are toe-jam extractors included in the not-to-be-carried-on list???

#34927 - 03/21/02 12:09 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think my status in the OA (overpackers anonymous) Club is in danger. Tonight I pack for Madrid once again.

Still, this time around, I'm determined (I say this EVERY time rolleyes ) to take HALF of what I took for the Christmas trip in December/January.

Spring can be a tough season for which to pack though, what with the colder nights and the potential for very very warm days. We'll be in Galicia for about 5 days next week during Semana Santa so it should be cool and damp there.

For this 16-day trip, I'm be packing ONE pair of shorts, 2 pair of jeans (plus the pair I'll be wearing on the plane), ONE pair of dress pants, 2 or 3 long-sleeved shirts and 2 or 3 short-sleeved shirts (I'm hoping to limit myself to JUST the two, but we'll see if I can win that battle -- my god! Isn't this terribly boring to whomever, if anyone, is reading this?? Sheesh! rolleyes ), 4-pair of socks, one pull-over sweater, and one set of sleeping clothes. ( confused )

I'm STILL in a quandry with the coat. Maybe I should buy one there. One of those typical, past-the-butt European style jackets.

Let's not forget the gifts, books, notebook, pens AND a hilighter, all addresses typed on ONE sheet of paper, copies of the inside cover of my passport, ATM card and 2 Credit Cards, and just enough US currency for the taxi to/from my airport here in Columbus.

Saludos, MadridMan

If anyone is interested (or bored during your lunch breaks), read my " MadridMan\'s Madrid 2002: Daily Online Journal ". I expect to upload/update this page daily (at night) when in Madrid, but might have to wait until returning TO Madrid from Galicia to tell what happened on that trip.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34928 - 03/21/02 12:45 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hey, MM...

Just do what I do...I've failed the OA group, I just take an extra empty duffle bag with me whenever I go for all the extra stuff I may bring back, and do CHECK all the stuff I (thought) I needed on the flight over that I never used!!

Buen Viaje!!

-GG

#34929 - 03/21/02 01:15 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

I'm with you, GG...I take an empty duffle in my suitcase. I fill it with dirty clothes during the trip and on the plane-ride home. It's not terribly heavy that way, and I fill my suitcase (which has harder sides and--importantly--wheels!) with all my purchases, including clothing purchases, my guidebooks, any heavy things, or any souvenirs that might be a little fragile. The really fragile stuff comes on the plane with me.

And MM, did you really think this crowd would find your packing list boring? Come on, we're all a bit obsessive about Spain travel, aren't we? I WANT to read people's packing lists!! smile

#34930 - 03/21/02 05:06 PM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
For my first trip (12 days) to Spain-here's what I'm packing..

-First, I am limiting myself to two pairs of footwear eek And that is a big milagro for me. I love shoes laugh I intend to bring a couple of new pairs back wink
-1 pair of jeans, 2 khaki pants(one regular length & the other ankle length), one pair of shorts
-two skirts(don't really know anyone there, yet, so for a more dressed ensemble one skirt is a small black one, the other a knee length jean skirt)
-a light cotton dress
-my jean jacket
-2 long-sleeved shirts
-2 short sleeved tops
-pajamas
-2 sets light cardigan with shells
-travel sized toiletries(toothbrush/paste, razor and shaving gel combo,small brush, those listerine strips)
-disposable moistwipes, tissues(travel packs
-female products(just in case) eek
-small packets of meds(Motrin,Imodium,Tums)
-oh, almost forgot my skivvies laugh
-camera,2 rolls of film, travel guide, photocopied maps,sunglasses,journal,PDA, my handy paratool wink I never leave the country without it)
-not to mention my passport, ID, 2 credit/ATM cards, copies of the mentioned items
-traveller's cheques, and some cash
-sense of humor, common sense, adventure, and FUN!

What else am I forgetting?

I know I'm leaving out a few other things!
Well, Taravb and GG, what else does a chica need? I was thinking maybe an umbrella... rolleyes

#34931 - 03/21/02 05:56 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

wyndyl--maybe a couple more rolls of film? I can't imagine going 12 days with only 2 rolls, and I hate paying tourist-trap prices for film. I usually take a roll for every day-and-a-half or so, but I am a big picture-taker! I would probably take 6-10 rolls for a 12 day trip (and that might be a bit excessive!!).

Most of the other stuff I would bring has been covered here already...yes, umbrella! Two pairs of shoes will be fine; I always shop for some there too. I would also bring a small bottle (travel-sized) of liquid laundry detergent, for emergencies or for when I run out of socks. Definitely take wipes of some sort (baby wipes or other hand wipes) for snacking on the go or for any other emergencies (these are GREAT for getting spills out of clothes too). I can't travel without a hair dryer, but I take my european travel one (purchased in Spain). I also take tea bags and a little immersion water heater, and a cup--for morning tea in my room.

Isn't it amazing how "bloated" our "traveling light" thread has become? Maybe we just like to talk a LOT about how LITTLE we (wish we could) take on vacation!

Oh--and you mentioned your PDA, wyndyl--I would take along a spare pair of batteries for that. I took mine to Spain last time, and was glad for it...it had phone numbers and addresses (even e-mail addresses, which were handy in internet cafes) and also a calculator function. I also put in notes about where we were staying, confirmation numbers, etc.--though in the interest of safety, I made a backup printout of those.

#34932 - 03/21/02 10:37 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Wyndyl, when are you going? I didn't know this is your first time to Spain! Have a great time!!

NOW, as for the SKIVVIES and socks eek that you mentioned... you could just pack 1/2-3/4 the amount you'd need and wash as you go. OR, not to get TOO personal here... rolleyes pack old ones and throw them out as you go...

I'd also bring a little flashlight...you never know when you'll need it. I was on a business trip last week and the lights went out in the hotel!! BOY did I wish I had my mini flashlight with me...I'll never forget it again!! And I"m with Tara...I always bring 1 roll of film for every 1-2 days, they don't take up too much room, and they're way more expensive there!!

Have a great time!!

#34933 - 03/21/02 10:44 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Oh...another helpful thing to take along (instead of the laundry detergent I mentioned above)...those newfangled laundry detergent tablets are great because they weigh very little and take up no space--and can't leak!!

I joke about them at home (after all, who's really too lazy to scoop out laundry detergent? and have you noticed that the little plastic wrappers say "remove wrapper before using," as if I was going to toss the tablets, IN THE WRAPPER, into my washer?), but on vacation, they are great!!

You can draw half a tub of warm water, toss all your "skivvies" and socks in with one of those tablets, and give them a good wash! If you have a room with a window, open it up and hang everything on hangers to dry--or even better, on one of those portable stretchy clotheslines you can find at Target or WalMart. Voila...clean skivvies!! smile

#34934 - 03/21/02 11:10 PM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks, ladies!
I will remember to bring the flashlight. I'm still looking around for some small packets of laundry detergent. But those tablets are a great idea! laugh

I'm also bring a cell phone. So, if anyone is interested in getting together I can email my number :p

GG-I'm going to be in Salamanca from 28,April to 4,May. Then I'll be in Madrid from 5-8th. I actually fly back to Chicago early on the 8th frown
Thanks for the ideas...And your right, taravb, looking at these items makes it seem like I am actually bringing whole wardrobe with me....

I thought I'd buy some film there; I was concerned about the x-ray machines...So, you all think film will be safe going through them confused If that's the case, I have more rolls to take with me.

Wendy

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2935 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments