Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34905 - 12/03/01 10:33 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
carlie ann, I saw plenty of cheap suitcases and duffles in Spain. Rather than worrying before you go just figure $25 will probably get you something decent to bring stuff home in.

#34906 - 12/04/01 11:08 AM Re: traveling light
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Carlie Ann - definately follow the advice that suggested buying a suitcase in Spain before heading back home. I seem to end up doing that every year because taking more than one small piece of luggage (even for a month) is a pain. A couple of things you will want to stock up on before leaving home (check out previous threads re Packing for more info) are deoderant - the antiperspirant type as it is expensive in Spain; underwear as sizes and preferences in style are evident; any personal preferences in hair stuff re shampoo, cream rinse, etc. Make-up and facial cleansers, etc. - all the same name brands as at home in the department stores. Also - any vitamins and/or medication you might need.
Have a great time!!!

#34907 - 12/07/01 02:04 PM Re: traveling light
carlie ann Offline

Loc: medford, NJ ---> jersey pri...
thanks so much for the advice! also just want to express my gratitude for this great message board. there's really a great sense of community here...happy to be part of it! laugh

#34908 - 12/10/01 02:28 PM Re: traveling light
paisstat Offline

Loc: Kansas City
The rule is to pack light. However, I studied in Granada for 5 weeks. Afterwards three friends and I stayed an extra two weeks and headed north to Barcelona and France. I stored most of my belongings in a locker at Bajaras Airport and took only 3 shorts, one pair of pants, like 6 socks, and 6 pair of underwear. I had to wash some stuff in Barcelona and later in Bordeaux. The smell of those 'freshly' washed clothes was really bad and we had a very hard time getting them to dry.

#34909 - 12/24/01 03:35 PM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Carlie Ann! I am originally from Philadelphia! We were neighbors! I studied in Spain for a year(some 14 years ago! yikes!)... now live here. Despite all the great conversations about rolling suitcases, etc. try to pack in soft sided luggage. Homes in Spain tend to be much much smaller than in the US, and your living environment will be more comfortable if you can easily stow your luggage. In all likelihood you won´t have space to store a large suitcase. No need to stock up on things before coming (unless you want to make chocolate chip cookies...then bring chocolate chips!) since you can buy everything here... GLOBALIZATION ...unless you are really stuck to a particular brand of shampoo that you can only buy in a salon.

After your semester here, you can always opt to ship things (by boat) that you won´t use for several months...when arriving back in the USA. (I shipped winter clothes and books).

Things that I am glad that I packed: a small backpack for day trips, a pen knife (pack it in your luggage not your carryon!!), wet wipes, a travel journal and my walkman!

Enjoy your semester abroad! It´s a life changing experience!! smile

#34910 - 12/28/01 12:41 AM Re: traveling light
carlie ann Offline

Loc: medford, NJ ---> jersey pri...
hey chica... where in philly are you from? i've got a few friends who live there and a few who go to school there. Thanks for the luggage advice smile
carlie

#34911 - 01/11/02 03:40 PM Re: traveling light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course packing depends on the time of year and the type of trip you plan on doing (biking, walking, Camping??). I will include some of my top secret tactics for "What to Pack" for Spring, Summer, & Fall.
Here Goes:
Get rid of the radio/CD player and all the stuff that goes with it. Your traveling! your trying to learn something, the last thing I want is a device on my ears that block out one of my senses. No novels or paperbacks. If you really need to read buy something there. Slice up (with a razor) your travel guide (I use Lets Go Spain). take only the sections that pertain to where you are going or might go. You won't go to all the places mentioned in the book.
Liquids are the heaviest things you can bring so keep these to a limit. I bring 1 tube/bottle of what I call a "universal soap". I found one, (its a shampoo) that is concentrated (Prell). I shave with it, shower with it (bring a nylon Lufa), wash my sock etc with it, and of course it makes a great shampoo. I also bring a LITTLE bottle of a medicated shampoo that I can use every other day or so. 3 disposable razors. Bring sunglasses if your that kind of person (I am). Never bring your most expensive. I pack 2 pairs of the $15 drugstore variety. Bring Ear Plugs. They are cheap, put one in your waist bag, 1 in your toiletry a few in your Suitcase/backback etc. All t-shirts/ shirts should have pockets to hold things such as receipts, pens glasses and your earplugs (at night, so you don't have to get out of your bed in the dark to try to find a pair).
Speaking of the dark, you'll need a good small flashlight, you should be able to operate it with 1 hand and it should have a constant on feature. Get it (the flashlight) the brightest color you can find, like neon green or orange. You'll appreciate it when you look for it in the dark or when you drop it in the dark. I had a small waterproof one in Costa Rica (for the late evening swims in the natural hotsprings).Bring several pens and put them everywhere, again 1 hand operated (click open, click close)
My wallet of choise is a black velco type. I have sewn a 3M reflective stripe on it, I recommend you do the same to yours if you keep it in a waist bag. You'll look for it forever in there and never see it without the strip.
Bring a few tubes of blistex (I like the regular) with an SPF of 10. Like the ear plugs, put one everywhere, that way you'll always find one when you need it. I use it in emergency to protect from burning my nose/ears/face and of course lips. Bring a hat, one that folds and that can be washed. Try to make what you bring dual purpose. I use a good antipersperant (NOT deodorant)which I also use on my feet every other day. I also bring some anti-fungal foot powder which I put in my socks daily. A tube of Lanocane is priceless. Good for rashes/burns/bites/cuts(read the label it does a whole lot more.A small container of vaseline. You will use this for super long walking days. Before you start, rub a LITTLE between your toes to prevent chaffing/blisters, you'll be amazed. Bring some Gravol (motion sickness) for those long bus rides. Also something for an upset stomach (tablets) to tide you over in case. Bring 1 compact camera w/zoom (at least 105mm). You can do anything with these, it's worth the ~$300. Bring your own film. Bring 1 disposable camera(rafting, or uses where you don't want to loose yours. I bring 1 black and white disposable for artistic value).SHOES: I have a pair of timberland hikeing runners, very light, the inside is removable for drying/washing. Make sure your laces are the kind that stay tied. One pair of flip flops (for the hostle, pool, beach etc). Last summer I had an expandable small rolling suitcase (loved it). I also had a small daybag/backpack. A SMALL spray bottle of your favorite mosquito SPRAY. I like Skintastic (7.5% deet). You can spray suspect bed linen with it too before you crawl in. Collect small bottles and the like well before you go they are priceless to fill with the above mentioned fluids. I bring a small compass on my watchstrap for reading maps (who knows which way is north in Toledo?). My watch of choise is a digital with indiglo and alarm. If you can get one with dual time, you'll know when to phone home without waking anyone up. Buy one at Walmart or the like, they are around $40 and if you loose it or have it stolen it's no big loss. I pack a small collapsable umbrella (priceless if you ever need it). I like binoculars so I have a compact pair.
Several t-shirts, several short sleve shirts. These shirts are oldies but goodies a bit worn but still very clean looking. I call these "diposable". They do not come back with me after the trip. 1 pair of jeans(these are strech and feature a bit of lycra in the blend), swim shorts, shorts, short socks.Bring a lock too, a medium sized one that works with a key. You may just need it in a hostal or a bus station etc.One final note: If anything you bring is "just about broken" (camera, laces, bracelets, watchstraps, zippers etc) fix it or DON'T bring it beacause it will break etc, etc,etc. I should write a book.... Enjoy.

#34912 - 01/11/02 08:56 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOW!! Thanks, ELECTRA!!!! smile What detail!!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34913 - 01/13/02 07:14 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I, too, am a recovering member of O.A., but I have found some tricks in fitting more in the suitcase when needed (since I can not yet go anywhere with JUST 1 pair of shoes or 3 pairs of underwear!!).
If you lie your clothes out completely flat in the suitcase, instead of folding or rolling them, I've found that saves a lot of room. ALso use the room IN your shoes to stick your socks, underwear, or any other small thing you may have. I ALWAYS go the plastic zip-lock baggie route instead of 1 giant toiletry bag, since it spreads it out & as others have said, helps guard against tragedy from broken bottles. (I usually put a lot of things in their own individual bag too--this will come in handie on the way home to use for dirty clothes or whatever else you may need them for.)

I do have some suggestions of what to bring if you're going to spend a long time there. The only things I would definitely bring my own of is antiperspirant/deoderant since it's hard to find there and is very expensive, and your contact lens solutions if you are particular or have very sensitive eyes, since they may not have your brand, and it can also be very expensive. As for shampoo, if you only normally use a certain expensive/salon brand shampoo, I wouldn't even bother bringing it. The water and air are SO different there that even if you had 'your brand' your hair's going to look and adapt differently anyway, so why bother wasting the money? If you're living in a home or in your own flat, you may only have limited access to good water pressure, and honestly you're hair's not going to look good for a while!! (I lived this myself--don't worry, you adapt, but it may take a couple of weeks...your hair will look/feel differently until it gets used to it) I would bring small bottles of whatever you can find (or take from hotels...) and that way you can throw out as you go.

Sorry if this was rambling, but I hope this is of help to some of you!! Hasta pronto!

GranadaGirl

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

#34914 - 01/16/02 12:56 AM Re: traveling light
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
I'll be in Spain for three weeks beginning June 1st. I hate the idea of bringing two pairs of shoes especially when in the summer I usually just wear sandals all the time. Would it suffice to buy a pricey pair of ecco sandals (very well known for comfort and durability) and skip bringing a pair of "walking shoes?" Muchas Gracias!

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3033 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments