Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34915 - 01/16/02 04:54 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I got a pair of Mephisto sandals (the day before I left,even) and wore them constantly for 2 weeks in Spain. They were black, very slight wedge, slides but the cross straps really angeled back and supported my ankles well. I turned my ankle once in Segovia so intensely I had to tighten them a notch because it stretched the strap but I had no injury and the straps didn't blow out (amazing!)I did take a bottle of Nu-skin (great stuff) to paint one little blister for a couple of days but in answer to your question...I would say yes go for it...they'll become your best friend from home and it will save some space as you probably won't come home with one pair of shoes!
Ooops..it's NewSkin not NuSkin in the first aid section..."an antiseptic liquid bandage"

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#34916 - 01/30/02 01:31 PM Re: traveling light
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
One way I saved space in my pack on my last trip was to bring an extra belt - one that you can tighten as much as you want (e.g. one with an army buckle). Once my clothes were folded (or rolled) and in a pile, I used the belt to compress the pile as much as was humanly possible. It saved a lot of space and I'll always do it in the future.

#34917 - 02/26/02 02:56 PM Re: traveling light
Ron M Offline

Loc: Monument, Colorado
My wife hit the Internet before our trip to Italy a couple of years ago and found a tip for compacting your travel clothes. Put them all in Jumbo zip lock bags. It really works and takes up a whole lot less space. For those of you that can't stop taking too much, this method allows you to pack twice as many clothes. I can usually get three shirts or two pairs of slacks into one bag and believe it or not they don't get wrinkled. We've used this method for all of our trips, no matter where we go, and where we used to need multiple suitcases we now get away with just one. Just put the clothing in one of the bags, then squeeze the air out and lock it up. It works great. Also, if you aren't a member of "OA" you can still use this method and have room left over that you can fill up with new goodies that you buy while traveling. wink

#34918 - 02/27/02 05:11 PM Re: traveling light
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
They also have those "space bags" now in small sizes...of course you can't pack a canister vacuum with you, as that would take up all the space you've saved...perhaps for things that you'll be gifting to friends in Spain (i.e. Levi's, etc.) you could use them, though...

#34919 - 02/27/02 09:34 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

I've always wondered what happens with those vacuum sealed bags, when they inspect the luggage, open them up, and all of a sudden you have four times as much luggage as what came out of the suitcase - rolleyes

I can just picture a half dozen big security people stomping on the bag while another one tries to zip it up, so it can be loaded onto the plane.

Wolf (Whose idea of traveling light is still a U-Haul trailer hooked behind the plane - smile )

#34920 - 02/28/02 12:12 AM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
WOLF...I'VE GOT AN IDEA...work with me here...

Assumptions: 1) Our luggage doesn't get inspected and 2) we're not too claustrophobic and don't mind the dark... Ok, picture this...giant life-size 'space bags'...a couple of those personal oxygen containers...and a steamer trunk, and WALLAH!, there you have it, cheap transport to Spain!! (Of course it certainly wouldn't be considered 'packing light' with me on board, especially after a week's worth of tortilla de patatas and Fanta Limones!!)

Always thinking,
-GG (Who's STILL trying to devise a way around those hefty 'high season' fares...)

#34921 - 02/28/02 12:02 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
GG,

I love your plan. Now all we have to do is figure out how to get that box past those pesky people sniffing dogs they use now, to inspect International cargo. Even if they don't spot us, they might "side bank" on the box, and that would be a terrible odor to put up with all the way to Spain. frown

I can picture it now. Popping out of the box in Spain, and having the police looking for you.....

"What does she look like?"

"I don't know. Just look for a gal who smells like dog p***!" eek

Wolf (Who likes GGs idea a lot, just concerned about the yellow stains he'd have on his shirt - wink )

#34922 - 02/28/02 07:14 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Thanks Wolf!

I think it could work...don't you think we could safeguard against the 'outside contaminants' with the plastic bags?! NOW we just have to get past those pesky customs inspectors!!

I'll keep brainstorming...

GranadaGirl laugh

#34923 - 03/11/02 04:14 PM Re: traveling light
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thought I'd revive this thread with a packing tip. I always worry about lost luggage and a change of clothes so I have my traveling companion take an outfit for me in their suitcase and I carry one for them. This way at least Ihave a change of clothes if my luggage was misplaced for a day or two.

#34924 - 03/11/02 07:31 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HEY! That IS a good idea. I also suggest one of those super mini, FLAT (Totes brand) umbrellas. They really come in handy and don't take up any space in a bag at all. You can really even simply put in your back pocket. And (it's been mentioned before) take those little travel-sized bathrooms stuffs like shampoo, lotion, creams, soaps, gels, fungicides, nostril-hair clippers, toe-jam extractors, and.... OHMYGOD! WHATAMISAYING??! eek

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2429 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments