Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34865 - 03/29/01 03:39 PM traveling light
kbl Offline

Having some time on my hands, I've just been "free-ranging" around the message board and have noticed that people are having a lot of trouble regarding their luggage - from deciding what it should be, to deciding what to put in it, to having it stolen, to having it lost by an airline (ANY airline)!!
I realize that this simply isn't an option for everyone but I've learned (the hard way...)that traveling is ever so much easier if you do it with a minimum of "stuff". If you can possibly get away with it, try traveling with only one bag, that you can manage by yourself under all circumstances (save illness or disability) and that contains nothing of great value. Keep important documents and money in a hotel safe or on your person. Leave the "serious" jewelry at home. It has been my experience that most Spaniards are far more impressed with a dignified and neat appearance than with a show of wealth.
Remember that Spain is a modern country now and almost anything you might need can be purchased there - should that need actually arise (I have a friend who packs an incredible number of things that she "might" need in almost any conceivable situation!)
I know there are several posts about traveling with only a backpack - by the way, those bags that convert from rollerbag to backpack are WONDERFUL - I'm just depressed that so many people could be sabotaging what should be an exciting and carefree vacation by taking along too much stuff!! Let's have more tips on how to avoid the luggage hassle from some of you who've done it.

#34866 - 03/29/01 04:29 PM Re: traveling light
Pelirojo Offline

Quick (stupid) tip. I like to pack toiletries in those heavy duty ziploc freezer bags. That way, they take up less space than a dedicated toiletry bag and if anything explodes (shampoo), your stuff is protected.

#34867 - 03/29/01 04:47 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
My husband and I just spent ten days in Spain with one (slightly large, but not enormous) rolling suitcase, a small backpack (day pack size) and my black hole of a purse. The trick I found was to pack only one color scheme (black/gray/little bit of white), one pair of shoes (*you'll buy some there anyway*), and the smallest possible toiletries (stolen ones from hotels, throwing empties away as you go along).

Other necessities are a decent camera and film, a few maps and pages photocopied out of your clunky, big travel guide (just of the places you're going, and throw them away as you go along), and some basic utensils for cutting and eating snacks you buy at the grocery store.

I try to lay everything out on my bed beforehand, then eliminate as much as I can before I pack my bag.

And obviously, if you're willing to do your own laundry (either at a laundromat or in your hotel tub), you can bring fewer things. I packed a small bottle of laundry soap and used that in the hotel tub one evening, hanging everything to dry overnight. All was stiff, but clean!

And no matter how light you manage to travel on your way over, that smuggled leg of jamón, case of vino tinto, and six-pack of Mahou will weigh you down on the way home!

#34868 - 03/29/01 05:08 PM Re: traveling light
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
That is why I alway stick another duffel bag inside my luggage for all the wine I plan on bringing back with me. I just have to make sure not to "clink" through customs!

#34869 - 03/29/01 11:50 PM Re: traveling light
lis Offline

Loc: New Zealand
What is light ? I generally travel with a 28 litre day pack (which was sufficient for a 6 months in South America and carry 3 books and a sleeping bag normally) but for my next trip I've "upsized" to a 45 litre one as I now want to go dancing - requiring another skirt and pair of shoes and a better blouse. This still counts as carry on as far as dimensions are concerned (though it will probably weight 8kg which some airlines will balk at). What else could you possibly need to carry :-) I basically take 3 tops a jumper, trousers, shorts, longjohns dressy skirt - swimsuit - top bit of which is the dressy top for dancing 1 pair of light boots, 1 pair of tevas 1 pair of dressy sandels, pac towel, 3 sets of underwear 3 sox, contact cleaning junk, soap shampoo toothpaste & brush, paper, alarm clock, 3 books (either guides or novels) and a jacket (which I wear or tie onto the outside of my bag). Camera and important stuff go in a waist bag and money belt. It is bit limiting for souvenirs - but if you really want it you buy a cheap bag for it or mail home !

What is it that people fill up the rest of the suitcase with ?

#34870 - 03/30/01 09:58 AM Re: traveling light
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
I always have a huge problem with packing, whenever I go on a trip. I am most definitely impressed with the last post and how well one can live on a minimal amount of clothing. I am and have always been an over packer.
I completely agree with everyone posts; take neutral colored clothing. I too tend to stick with black, gray and white and maybe 1 pair of khaki's. I limited my shoes to 2 pairs, both black, but one could be dressy. I knew I would buy shoes in Spain, so 2 pairs was good enough.
My rule is, if you can't wear it aleast twice without it looking dirty or wrinkled, don't bring it. This tends to weed out the pieces of clothing that are going to take up extra space in my luggage that I do not have. And I always pack an expandable duffle bag in my luggage to accomodate all of the things I am bringing back with me.

#34871 - 03/30/01 11:10 AM Re: traveling light
jensdog Offline

I feel you Amy. I too am an overpacker but this time I swear I am going to be good! My goal is to not have to check any luggage after they lost my luggage on my last trip to Spain.

#34872 - 03/30/01 01:20 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Despite the possible assumption that good ol' MadridMan is a smart traveler (the traveling part I do great! ), I do lack something in the way of packing light. "Hello everyone. I'm an overpacker." (My self-introduction at the OA meeting: Overpackers Anonymous).

The things I DO pack I pack VERY well; shirts/pants PERFECTLY folded so as not to cause ANY nasty wrinkles, shoes in plastic grocery bags, explodables in ziplock bags, and the like.

I think the therapy at OA is doing me some good because I'm able to pack a bit lighter in NOT taking one-shirt-per-day and NOT wearing my jeans once and-then-they-MUST-BE-WASHED anymore.

I've been to Spain 4 times, staying with my ladyfriend who lives with her elderly mother ("WHAT?", you ask -- but it's very common). It's the mother who does all the laundry (washing in the machine then hang-dry and followed up by ironing EVERYTHING right down to the socks and underwear) and EVERY time she comments to my ladyfriend after only a couple of days, "HOW can a person have SO much laundry after only a few days??" Well, as I said, thanks to her, in part, I'm doing much better.

So, the moral of this long-winded story is to wear shirts as long as you can if you haven't been sweating (much), doesn't have a red-wine stain, and doesn't look like you slept in it because who's really going to see you everyday and be appauled that you ACTUALLY wore that shirt twice in a row or twice in one week?!! NO ONE. It's tough for many/most of us "Americans" to get past this wearing clothing more than once before they're washed attitude. Still, I have trouble wearing a pair of underwear or socks a second time especially after a long day of touring. (<-my "pee-ew!" face)

I like the comments about taking things in the smallest container possible and then disposing of them along the way. GREAT idea about only copying important tour book pages too. Take a large-ish plastic (not nylon) for dirty clothes too.. you don't want your "cleans" to have the smell of "dirties".

What a fun topic!! Keep it up! Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-30-2001).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34873 - 03/30/01 03:42 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

One more packing tip--if you (like me) MUST have a hair dryer, buy one there! I would otherwise have had to pack my travel dryer and an adapter--and last time I did that, I ended up tripping the circuit breakers in one of the places I stayed anyway! I found a VERY SMALL hair dryer in Salamanca, with a folding handle and the two-round-pin European plug, for about 2000 pesetas ($13 at the time we were there). Even though I won't use it at home (I could, with my adapter, but why?), I can loan it to friends traveling to Europe and save it for my next trip.

I also found a European-plug portable immersion heater that you can use to boil a cup of water (I got it at a Rand McNally travel store at the Mall of America here in Minneapolis)--we took one old coffee mug and had tea EVERY MORNING (you could make coffee with instant granules or those little tea-bag packets of coffee) as we were getting showered and dressed. That was lovely and helped us deal with our cravings for an American-style heaping bowl of Cheerios.

We also took a duffel bag, rolled up in our rolling suitcase. On the way home, we filled it with all of our icky laundry and used the suitcase for our souvenirs and Spanish clothing purchases.

And one last word to the wise--though rolling bags are perfect in airports, they don't do well on cobblestone streets, going up and down curbs, climbing flights and flights of hostel stairs, or in the Madrid metro. I think next time around, we would get one of those all-in-one backpack/rolling bag combos. I used a backpack for a month-long trip to Spain and Ireland in 1995, and managed to get all my clothes, souvenirs, and even enough skeins of yarn to knit a long-sleeved pullover around in that. Of course, I was nearly in traction when I got home, but Spain's worth it!

#34874 - 03/30/01 03:50 PM Re: traveling light
kbl Offline

I discovered this while traveling in the upper Midwest in the Fall - when the temp. can be 75 or 45 on any given day. I personally like to carry a cashmere sweater for warmth (and they're thin!) but I have a friend who takes those big thick sweaters with sports logos in case of cold weather. To avoid having to take half a dozen suitcases, he has 3 bags made of some kind of space-age plastic with a very tight seal. He puts the sweaters in the bag then rolls it, unsealed, to push out all the air, then he seals it. It works just like those "seal-a-meal" things and reduces the space that the sweaters take up in the suitcase by about 2/3!! These are available from Magellan (for sure)and possibly TravelSmith as well. I think it'd be great for jeans and things that take up a lot of space and a Godsend for you members of O.A. Anybody else tried them?

#34875 - 03/30/01 04:02 PM Re: traveling light
kbl Offline

taravb, the great thing about the rolling bag/backpack is that you balance out the 2 methods of toting your luggage! When your shoulders start protesting you can take off the pack and pull it for awhile. I love it. I can't move very fast with a back pack and when I get to the airport and really need to move, I put down the wheels and zip right along!

#34876 - 03/31/01 09:31 AM Re: traveling light
nevado Offline

Ok, here's a tip for you big shoppers! When I go to China to load up, I always ask for a vacuum cleaner from the hotel and suck the air out of a bag and place several in my suitcase. You can't imagine how many clothes you can fit in it!

#34877 - 03/31/01 11:52 AM Re: traveling light
jensdog Offline

The only problem with those vacuum things...your bags get very heavy. The stuff may take up less space but it still weighs a ton.

#34878 - 03/31/01 04:32 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Jens,

You're absolutely right. What people often forget is the weight limitations we have for airline flights. Even when we slim down on what we take, the bulk is less than the weight. When it comes to overweight luggage, it always seems like it is a cheaper alternative to do some UPS type shipping back, then paying the overweight luggage costs at the airlines.

The last time we traveled we had a 20 kilo (44 lb.) limit for each of us on the flight. Fortunately Iberia allowed us to keep our carry on seperate and didn't count it against our weight total. Had they counted it, we would have been about 9 kilos overweight. We packed our essentials and extra sets of clothes in carry on, just in case our luggage went to Hong Kong, instead of Madrid with us. Of course, you can't count on the people at the counters allowing that. They may very well weigh your carry on with your checkable luggage. Then you're in big trouble... gotta pay the freight. The only reason they gave us that break was that two of the four people ahead of us were traveling real light (couriers), and their total baggage was carry on, nothing checked.

Wolf

#34879 - 03/31/01 07:52 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Great thread to start,kbl!The best tip I ever got when traveling was the advice from the Barefoot Windjammer folks.."if you have to check your luggage,you're bringing too much". I am a good packer, especially if I'm touring about and not seeing the same people everyday. Who cares if you wear the same couple of outfits for 2 weeks? as long as you make opportunities to do a little wash!(It may strike you friends at home a little odd when they see your photos and you appear to never have changed your clothes).I'm in the fashion business and there are wonderful high-tech fabrics that are very packable and every girl looks great in black and white..and I'm looking forward to finding some little pieces of "color" to accessorize with once in Spain.

#34880 - 04/02/01 01:32 PM Re: traveling light
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
While I would love to be able to only take a carry-on, I'm afraid I can't do it! I also overpack but have gotten MUCH better in the past couple of years! When I look back at my month-long trip to Granada with a VERY large suitcase and gym bag (!), I think to myself: "What a waste of energy. I was such an idiot". I'm even embarassed to mention it now! Anyway, those days are long gone. But I still need to take a 65-litre travel pack. I don't pack it up, that way I leave room for the things I buy along the way! A carry-on for me is impossible, though. I am not THAT good!!!

As for those vacuum-packed bags, I have two of them and they are great! They actually sell special ones with air valves to squeeze out the air from the bag and they are also waterproof (good for camping- double-duty!). The ones I have are of the brand name PACK-MATE. They are good, especially in winter for the bulky clothing!

SusiLaGallega

#34881 - 04/02/01 03:21 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Just a comment about all the people who talk about suitcases and packs in terms of liters/litres--we Americans need to get with the program and do the metric thing! How cool to be able to compare suitcases without having to multiply 24 inches x 36 inches x 12 inches to come up with a volume measurement!

Of course, the 60+ litre bag is a bit scary, when you figure that should hold the equivalent of 30 2-liter bottles of Coke (and how we ended up measuring bottles of Coke in liters and cans in ounces is beyond me)!

#34882 - 04/03/01 11:52 AM Re: traveling light
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually, a 65-litre backpack, here in Canada anyway, is the average backpack size for backpacking to Europe! And while it states 65 litres, I highly doubt that 30 2-litre bottles could fit in my bag!!! Just think, my cousin and his fiancee traveled to Spain last year for 3 weeks and each of them took an 80 litre backpack!!!!!!

SusiLaGallega

#34883 - 04/04/01 10:06 AM Re: traveling light
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
I have tried those space bags for packing, and I'll have to admit they are absolutley wonderful. Being part of the O.A. I find these to be very handy when I am packing. Plus when things are smaller, I have more room to pack more stuff. laugh

#34884 - 04/22/01 04:07 PM Re: traveling light
asheaves Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC, US
Hmmm.

I am a big fan of packing light. For the next trip (3 weeks, starts in Amsterdam, most of it in Spain), I will take (asterixes beside the stuff no-one else has already mentioned):

* one pair pants where the legs zip-off to convert to shorts (try Target for inexpensive ones)
- one long skirt
* one pair long-john bottoms; they double as "running tights" and, layered with the pants keep me warm
- 3 prs. sox and 3 prs. undies
- swimsuit
* one long- and one short-sleeved t-shirt (asterix is for coolmax fiber, great for washing and drying overnight), one blouse
* one polarfleece jacket
* one silk scarf instead of jewelry, one bandana, doubles as napkin/washcloth. Both serve to cover my eyes when sleeping on planes and trains
* one linen towel -- small, light, and very absorbent; I much prefer linen to the "pactowels."
* one tupperware container, preserves bread & cheese in the luggage for train rides.

Um, that's about it. Camera, one pair shoes, one pair sandals. Basic toiletries. Some books (all used, paperback, discard-or-trade-as-you-go).

I'm trying the rolling/backpack suitcase this time for the first time...dubious b/c of the cobblestone issue but I see others have found them good...I've always used just a backpack or light duffel bag in the past.

asheaves

#34885 - 04/22/01 06:15 PM Re: traveling light
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I just flew in from Vienna last night and noticed the following:

Women need a scarf! The most noticeable difference between European and American women was they wear scarves with everything and look great!

Black is still a big fashion statement, though I did see jeans and some gym shoes.

Those members of our group who had roll-on carry-on luggage were almost always told there was no room for them on crowded flights. That meant that if they had things in there to keep them comfortable during the flight, they had no access to it. If you had a large bag that you carried (like I did), you could take it with you.

I tried the No Jet Lag stuff Magellan sells and found I wasn't quite as out of it when I arrived in Europe. I got 2 seats to myself on the plane, so I also got more sleep than usual. I don't know which was more responsible for my being somewhat functional when I got to my destination!

#34886 - 04/26/01 11:21 AM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

AHA!! I'm going to find out this weekend if all your comments work for me. I fly out Friday afternoon and returning on Monday morning. The 2 legs of span a total of 8 hours which does not include a 2-hour layover in Atlanta (I'm not going to Spain, unfortunately).

I am determined to ONLY take my carry-on bag, a sports bag that maximizes the allowable carry-on size.

The thing is I have to take a sport jacket/blazer and it won't nicely fit into the bag. A friend suggested I ROLL the jacket instead of folding to avoid some wrinkles. I'm also thinking I'll roll the blazer and put it in it's own bag which I'll carry by hand, like in a handle shopping bag which I could put/place carefully (hopefully) in the planes overhead compartment. Any ideas?? confused smile

Thanks! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34887 - 04/26/01 11:56 AM Re: traveling light
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
MM, is it heresy to suggest that you WEAR it on the flight? Besides avoiding the problem of carrying it, my gate agent friend tells me that sometimes they're told to fill First Class seats for a flight and they're supposed to choose the lucky ones from among the "best-dressed" - and that means closest to "business" dress. This could be YOU!!!
Otherwise, that shopping bag idea sounds good.

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Catalina ]

#34888 - 04/26/01 12:13 PM Re: traveling light
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Madridman, I currently moonlight in the men's suits department at a major retailer, and the best advise to give you about rolling up your sportcoat is to fold it INSIDE-OUT and then rolle it up, this will really help with the wrinkles...

by any chance, you're not going to N.M. this weekend, are you? wink

#34889 - 04/26/01 12:28 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Catalina, good idea about WEARING the jacket, but it'll be an overnight flight and I'll (hopefully) be sleeping so..... I WILL try asking nicely for a FREE upgrade to 1st Class though. hehehe..

laduque, GREAT idea on the inside-out suit jacket. I'll do that. I would think this way would create MORE wrinkles because it would be buckling inside instead of stretched outside. Knowhatimeanvern?

Someone also suggested a small nylon/cotton coat bag in which to carry the jacket, but this seems a bit too much. And unfortunately no, I'm not going to NM this weekend, but to attend my sister's son's christening south of London. Fast trip, but it will be worth it.

Saludos, MadridMan

#34890 - 05/02/01 10:18 AM Re: traveling light
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I took an American tourister rolling suit case, that expands two inches. This is the best piece of luggage, I have ever had. I took it as a carry on, and was not questioned by Air France (great airline by the way). I didn't use the extra two inches going over, but I did on the way back, and checked it. I guess it was 12x24. Then I used a tote that folds up and velcros, as a purse, and put anything I needed like book, maps etc in it for the flight. I didn't take a purse to Madrid, because I bought one there. laugh

#34891 - 05/03/01 09:11 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Nic..how was the purse selection? I keep hearing about the shoes. I need a nice looking, safe-to-carry black leather purse. Should I wait til Spain??

#34892 - 05/03/01 10:17 PM Re: traveling light
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
The purse selection is also fantastic!!!I always find something I like and you will definitely find what you want there!!!I would wait to get to Spain...Oh, and the prices are so much more reasonable there!

Happy Shopping!!! laugh

#34893 - 05/04/01 11:08 AM Re: traveling light
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Purse shopping was amazing! I bought mine at the department store, El Cortes de Engles , I think that's correct, in the Salmanca district. I am weird about that kind of stuff, I wanted to make sure that it was made in Spain. It's a Piel Morena, about $100. I figure you can buy a Gucci, or other name brand anywhere, but I wanted Spanish. Same with the shoes. I bought a pair of shoes at a funky little shop, on the same shopping trip. I wish I would have bought two pairs. As far as prices, I have to be honest, I thought they were about the same. I also bought some perfume and scarves at Zara,it seemed to be a popular store. I also bought scarves at Globe. I didn't buy clothes, because frankly, I didn't want to pack them, and I can get them at home. I also reccommend the Blue Indigo, for unique home items, on Calle de Claudio. I am at work right now, so I am going by memory. The other shop that I bought some small pottery, type candy dishes for about $5, was at the Museo shop, (In Salmanca on a Main St near Zara I believe, and also at the airport across from the duty free) they actually came with descriptions of how important the Fleur De Lis (sp) is to Spanish tiles. Great small gift items. I wish I would have bought more, but, I couldn't think with my husband in my ear. rolleyes One of the trends that I saw women with in Madrid as a whole, no matter where we were, is that they take little shopping bags with them everywhere. The kind like Bath and Body Works gives you when you make a purchase. I highly reccommend stopping at Gino's for an Italian lunch, it was great! We stayed in Madrid for 5 days and we were looking for something different. Also, stop for lunch around 2:00, because most shops close then. When you are done with lunch, find the department stores, because they stay open. Then head back to the small shops as they reopen between 4:30 and 5:00.

Sorry MM, as I read this, I should have put on the shopping thread, but I got into a rant. You know how serious women are about their shopping.

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34894 - 11/05/01 03:34 AM Re: traveling light
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
NOTHING better than a transatlantic first-class flight. Most people can't afford it, including me. I was lucky enough to get upgraded. Actually I got upgraded, and when my flight from Rome to Memphis through Amsterdam got cancelled, they put me in a Five star hotel. It was awesome, in fact, I chose to stay the night, because I had nothing else to do. I am really going to be upset when i have to go back to flying coach when I go to Vallencia next year, because there's no way I'll be able to afford 1st class.

It was great, though. The seats reclined like a lazyboy and they served me drinks whenever I wanted them, all the while I was watching unreleased movies on my personal tv screen. I never went to sleep, because I didn't want to miss any of the luxury that I would doubtfully ever get to experience again! Hehe, but if you can arrange it, try and get one of your layovers so short it is prone to be delayed so you can request an upgrade to first class!

#34895 - 11/13/01 01:43 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Does anyone else HATE carrying/packing space-hogging winter coats on vacation?? ARGH! I guess I'll just have to take mine on the plane with me and SHOVE IT wherever the sun doesn't shine (which is just about everywhere inside an airplane).

If you check out my 4-26-01 posting above, you'll see I was lamenting on how to take/pack/carry a sport coat/blazer. I'm faced with this problem once again, but at least I know that if when I get to Madrid I can have it easily and cheaply pressed/steamed. I'm going to make a REAL effort to dress nicely this holiday season. And I promise NOT to do a Jerry Seinfeld and wear my white tennis shoes with my jeans and sport jacket. heehhee.. (although I've seen some Spaniards doing this too. Yikes! eek )

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34896 - 11/13/01 06:49 PM Re: traveling light
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

MM, you could always WEAR the sportcoat/blazer! It can be chilly on those flights anyway...and you'll look so very suave! I took my down jacket the last time I was required to bundle up...other times I've just layered sweaters and such under the blazer/jacket I wore on the plane! Madrid isn't cold enough in the winter to require the Nanook of the North attire you need for Ohio...maybe the layers would work for you? Add a great scarf and look so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o European!

#34897 - 11/13/01 09:06 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

la maestra, thanks for your suggestion, but YOU know how a sport coat looks after SLEEPING in it on a long flight? WRINKLED! Call me a clothing neat nut, but I even iron my T-shirts before wearing them. I HATE wrinkles!

I like your layering idea while in Spain.... with a scarf, eh? Hey, thanks for the fashion tip! Maybe I COULD get away with ONLY the sport coat and a sweater underneath, but might be too bulky for everyday wear and REALLY hot as soon as I walk into a bar/restaurant/store.

Saludos, Nanook wink

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34898 - 11/13/01 09:51 PM Re: traveling light
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

MM, you must travel in a higher class section of the plane than I do if you can wrinkle anything more than your face when you sleep! In the peon section we sleep in an almost upright position! I use my jacket like a blanket so that I can use what the airlines provide to wrap my legs and feet. The jacket is then on top of me and doesn't wrinkle much more than it would if I wore it...and much less than it would in my suitcase. Undershirt, shirt, cashmere (or something heavier) sweater, jacket, warm scarf...that might be enough. I remember getting through winter in Madrid in a lined London Fog trench coat...you might make it if you layer right! Yes, you'd have to ditch the jacket when you got inside, but you'd have to do that with your parka anyway. I took my industrial strength Chicago-style, down parka to Kosovo last year and was forever trying to figure out what to do with the blasted thing in cafes where space was at a premium. Both men and women there tended to wear leather jackets with layers...and, of course, the requisite scarf!

la maestra(who spent 40 plus years of her life in the arctic tundra area of Chicago and knows fashionable Nanook-like attire when she sees it!)

#34899 - 11/19/01 09:43 PM Re: traveling light
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
WEll, you just answered my question about coats this Dec/Jan. Are the buildings overheated in Madrid as they are in NYC where you sweat profusely while shopping or eating? How 'bout if we wear our trench coats with linings, and pack the oh so cool leather jackets?

#34900 - 11/19/01 10:09 PM Re: traveling light
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
OK, so what's the final verdict? Winter coat or layers and leather jacket? I'm from Miami. It's 76 F right now, with average lows of 64 at night. I'm usually shivering at 60. The rudolf the red-nosed reindeer look starts at about 50. I was planning on dealing with the cold the way I do in NYC when I visit in the winter. I've always worn a faux-fur coat, hat and gloves, all of which have kept me from turning into a popsicle. (Coat borrowed from some NY friend, of course.) Dios mio, will I look like a dork if I wear all this stuff in Madrid?

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#34901 - 11/20/01 10:47 AM Re: traveling light
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Miami, huh? You'll be cold. I'm from Hawaii and living in Boston - and the easiest trick to surviving anything under 60 Fwith our thin blood is layers! Best thing to buy is silk underwear - keeps the heat in and does not add bulk (read pounds) and totally destroy the fit of your clothing. The silk tops come in 3 styles - sleeveless/cap sleeves/long sleeves and the bottoms come in 2 lenghts - mid-thigh for dresses and long for pants.

Don't know where you'll find them in Miami but try a web search - the worst that can happen is you pay a bit more thru Eddie Bauer than you would at a general department store.

The added bonus - light weight; quickly wash and dry - and guaranteed to keep you warm.
wink

#34902 - 11/20/01 11:53 PM Re: traveling light
carlie ann Offline

Loc: medford, NJ ---> jersey pri...
Hi everyone. I'm going to be studying in madrid from january till june. Any suggestions as to what to bring for an extended stay? and if packing light, how to manage bringing home alot more than you initially take with you?

#34903 - 12/03/01 06:06 PM Re: traveling light
amity Offline

Loc: seattle
it will be cold in madrid when you get there so bring a winter coat but it will warm up by march probably...i wouldn't pack too much there is so much great shopping! i love zara and mango. they are wonderful stores...check out www.zara.com or www.mango.es if you want to see what styles they have...i would just bring things that you really like to wear and really anything you were in the us you can wear in spain. guys just wear tighter clothes and girls just wear brighter clothes in my opinion!

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34904 - 12/03/01 07:16 PM Re: traveling light
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
Yeah, I'll be studying in Sevilla from Jan. until May. I'm wondering since its pretty southern, if I'd really need a coat? I'm from Boston, so I have a really thick coat. I don't think I'll need something that thick. I've looked up some average temps for Sevilla on the web, but I would still rather have someones opinion whos spent their time in Sevilla at these times.

#34905 - 12/03/01 10:33 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

carlie ann, I saw plenty of cheap suitcases and duffles in Spain. Rather than worrying before you go just figure $25 will probably get you something decent to bring stuff home in.

#34906 - 12/04/01 11:08 AM Re: traveling light
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Carlie Ann - definately follow the advice that suggested buying a suitcase in Spain before heading back home. I seem to end up doing that every year because taking more than one small piece of luggage (even for a month) is a pain. A couple of things you will want to stock up on before leaving home (check out previous threads re Packing for more info) are deoderant - the antiperspirant type as it is expensive in Spain; underwear as sizes and preferences in style are evident; any personal preferences in hair stuff re shampoo, cream rinse, etc. Make-up and facial cleansers, etc. - all the same name brands as at home in the department stores. Also - any vitamins and/or medication you might need.
Have a great time!!!

#34907 - 12/07/01 02:04 PM Re: traveling light
carlie ann Offline

thanks so much for the advice! also just want to express my gratitude for this great message board. there's really a great sense of community here...happy to be part of it! laugh

#34908 - 12/10/01 02:28 PM Re: traveling light
paisstat Offline

Loc: Kansas City
The rule is to pack light. However, I studied in Granada for 5 weeks. Afterwards three friends and I stayed an extra two weeks and headed north to Barcelona and France. I stored most of my belongings in a locker at Bajaras Airport and took only 3 shorts, one pair of pants, like 6 socks, and 6 pair of underwear. I had to wash some stuff in Barcelona and later in Bordeaux. The smell of those 'freshly' washed clothes was really bad and we had a very hard time getting them to dry.

#34909 - 12/24/01 03:35 PM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Carlie Ann! I am originally from Philadelphia! We were neighbors! I studied in Spain for a year(some 14 years ago! yikes!)... now live here. Despite all the great conversations about rolling suitcases, etc. try to pack in soft sided luggage. Homes in Spain tend to be much much smaller than in the US, and your living environment will be more comfortable if you can easily stow your luggage. In all likelihood you won´t have space to store a large suitcase. No need to stock up on things before coming (unless you want to make chocolate chip cookies...then bring chocolate chips!) since you can buy everything here... GLOBALIZATION ...unless you are really stuck to a particular brand of shampoo that you can only buy in a salon.

After your semester here, you can always opt to ship things (by boat) that you won´t use for several months...when arriving back in the USA. (I shipped winter clothes and books).

Things that I am glad that I packed: a small backpack for day trips, a pen knife (pack it in your luggage not your carryon!!), wet wipes, a travel journal and my walkman!

Enjoy your semester abroad! It´s a life changing experience!! smile

#34910 - 12/28/01 12:41 AM Re: traveling light
carlie ann Offline

hey chica... where in philly are you from? i've got a few friends who live there and a few who go to school there. Thanks for the luggage advice smile
carlie

#34911 - 01/11/02 03:40 PM Re: traveling light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course packing depends on the time of year and the type of trip you plan on doing (biking, walking, Camping??). I will include some of my top secret tactics for "What to Pack" for Spring, Summer, & Fall.
Here Goes:
Get rid of the radio/CD player and all the stuff that goes with it. Your traveling! your trying to learn something, the last thing I want is a device on my ears that block out one of my senses. No novels or paperbacks. If you really need to read buy something there. Slice up (with a razor) your travel guide (I use Lets Go Spain). take only the sections that pertain to where you are going or might go. You won't go to all the places mentioned in the book.
Liquids are the heaviest things you can bring so keep these to a limit. I bring 1 tube/bottle of what I call a "universal soap". I found one, (its a shampoo) that is concentrated (Prell). I shave with it, shower with it (bring a nylon Lufa), wash my sock etc with it, and of course it makes a great shampoo. I also bring a LITTLE bottle of a medicated shampoo that I can use every other day or so. 3 disposable razors. Bring sunglasses if your that kind of person (I am). Never bring your most expensive. I pack 2 pairs of the $15 drugstore variety. Bring Ear Plugs. They are cheap, put one in your waist bag, 1 in your toiletry a few in your Suitcase/backback etc. All t-shirts/ shirts should have pockets to hold things such as receipts, pens glasses and your earplugs (at night, so you don't have to get out of your bed in the dark to try to find a pair).
Speaking of the dark, you'll need a good small flashlight, you should be able to operate it with 1 hand and it should have a constant on feature. Get it (the flashlight) the brightest color you can find, like neon green or orange. You'll appreciate it when you look for it in the dark or when you drop it in the dark. I had a small waterproof one in Costa Rica (for the late evening swims in the natural hotsprings).Bring several pens and put them everywhere, again 1 hand operated (click open, click close)
My wallet of choise is a black velco type. I have sewn a 3M reflective stripe on it, I recommend you do the same to yours if you keep it in a waist bag. You'll look for it forever in there and never see it without the strip.
Bring a few tubes of blistex (I like the regular) with an SPF of 10. Like the ear plugs, put one everywhere, that way you'll always find one when you need it. I use it in emergency to protect from burning my nose/ears/face and of course lips. Bring a hat, one that folds and that can be washed. Try to make what you bring dual purpose. I use a good antipersperant (NOT deodorant)which I also use on my feet every other day. I also bring some anti-fungal foot powder which I put in my socks daily. A tube of Lanocane is priceless. Good for rashes/burns/bites/cuts(read the label it does a whole lot more.A small container of vaseline. You will use this for super long walking days. Before you start, rub a LITTLE between your toes to prevent chaffing/blisters, you'll be amazed. Bring some Gravol (motion sickness) for those long bus rides. Also something for an upset stomach (tablets) to tide you over in case. Bring 1 compact camera w/zoom (at least 105mm). You can do anything with these, it's worth the ~$300. Bring your own film. Bring 1 disposable camera(rafting, or uses where you don't want to loose yours. I bring 1 black and white disposable for artistic value).SHOES: I have a pair of timberland hikeing runners, very light, the inside is removable for drying/washing. Make sure your laces are the kind that stay tied. One pair of flip flops (for the hostle, pool, beach etc). Last summer I had an expandable small rolling suitcase (loved it). I also had a small daybag/backpack. A SMALL spray bottle of your favorite mosquito SPRAY. I like Skintastic (7.5% deet). You can spray suspect bed linen with it too before you crawl in. Collect small bottles and the like well before you go they are priceless to fill with the above mentioned fluids. I bring a small compass on my watchstrap for reading maps (who knows which way is north in Toledo?). My watch of choise is a digital with indiglo and alarm. If you can get one with dual time, you'll know when to phone home without waking anyone up. Buy one at Walmart or the like, they are around $40 and if you loose it or have it stolen it's no big loss. I pack a small collapsable umbrella (priceless if you ever need it). I like binoculars so I have a compact pair.
Several t-shirts, several short sleve shirts. These shirts are oldies but goodies a bit worn but still very clean looking. I call these "diposable". They do not come back with me after the trip. 1 pair of jeans(these are strech and feature a bit of lycra in the blend), swim shorts, shorts, short socks.Bring a lock too, a medium sized one that works with a key. You may just need it in a hostal or a bus station etc.One final note: If anything you bring is "just about broken" (camera, laces, bracelets, watchstraps, zippers etc) fix it or DON'T bring it beacause it will break etc, etc,etc. I should write a book.... Enjoy.

#34912 - 01/11/02 08:56 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

WOW!! Thanks, ELECTRA!!!! smile What detail!!!

#34913 - 01/13/02 07:14 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I, too, am a recovering member of O.A., but I have found some tricks in fitting more in the suitcase when needed (since I can not yet go anywhere with JUST 1 pair of shoes or 3 pairs of underwear!!).
If you lie your clothes out completely flat in the suitcase, instead of folding or rolling them, I've found that saves a lot of room. ALso use the room IN your shoes to stick your socks, underwear, or any other small thing you may have. I ALWAYS go the plastic zip-lock baggie route instead of 1 giant toiletry bag, since it spreads it out & as others have said, helps guard against tragedy from broken bottles. (I usually put a lot of things in their own individual bag too--this will come in handie on the way home to use for dirty clothes or whatever else you may need them for.)

I do have some suggestions of what to bring if you're going to spend a long time there. The only things I would definitely bring my own of is antiperspirant/deoderant since it's hard to find there and is very expensive, and your contact lens solutions if you are particular or have very sensitive eyes, since they may not have your brand, and it can also be very expensive. As for shampoo, if you only normally use a certain expensive/salon brand shampoo, I wouldn't even bother bringing it. The water and air are SO different there that even if you had 'your brand' your hair's going to look and adapt differently anyway, so why bother wasting the money? If you're living in a home or in your own flat, you may only have limited access to good water pressure, and honestly you're hair's not going to look good for a while!! (I lived this myself--don't worry, you adapt, but it may take a couple of weeks...your hair will look/feel differently until it gets used to it) I would bring small bottles of whatever you can find (or take from hotels...) and that way you can throw out as you go.

Sorry if this was rambling, but I hope this is of help to some of you!! Hasta pronto!

GranadaGirl

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

#34914 - 01/16/02 12:56 AM Re: traveling light
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
I'll be in Spain for three weeks beginning June 1st. I hate the idea of bringing two pairs of shoes especially when in the summer I usually just wear sandals all the time. Would it suffice to buy a pricey pair of ecco sandals (very well known for comfort and durability) and skip bringing a pair of "walking shoes?" Muchas Gracias!

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34915 - 01/16/02 04:54 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

I got a pair of Mephisto sandals (the day before I left,even) and wore them constantly for 2 weeks in Spain. They were black, very slight wedge, slides but the cross straps really angeled back and supported my ankles well. I turned my ankle once in Segovia so intensely I had to tighten them a notch because it stretched the strap but I had no injury and the straps didn't blow out (amazing!)I did take a bottle of Nu-skin (great stuff) to paint one little blister for a couple of days but in answer to your question...I would say yes go for it...they'll become your best friend from home and it will save some space as you probably won't come home with one pair of shoes!
Ooops..it's NewSkin not NuSkin in the first aid section..."an antiseptic liquid bandage"

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#34916 - 01/30/02 01:31 PM Re: traveling light
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
One way I saved space in my pack on my last trip was to bring an extra belt - one that you can tighten as much as you want (e.g. one with an army buckle). Once my clothes were folded (or rolled) and in a pile, I used the belt to compress the pile as much as was humanly possible. It saved a lot of space and I'll always do it in the future.

#34917 - 02/26/02 02:56 PM Re: traveling light
Ron M Offline

Loc: Monument, Colorado
My wife hit the Internet before our trip to Italy a couple of years ago and found a tip for compacting your travel clothes. Put them all in Jumbo zip lock bags. It really works and takes up a whole lot less space. For those of you that can't stop taking too much, this method allows you to pack twice as many clothes. I can usually get three shirts or two pairs of slacks into one bag and believe it or not they don't get wrinkled. We've used this method for all of our trips, no matter where we go, and where we used to need multiple suitcases we now get away with just one. Just put the clothing in one of the bags, then squeeze the air out and lock it up. It works great. Also, if you aren't a member of "OA" you can still use this method and have room left over that you can fill up with new goodies that you buy while traveling. wink

#34918 - 02/27/02 05:11 PM Re: traveling light
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
They also have those "space bags" now in small sizes...of course you can't pack a canister vacuum with you, as that would take up all the space you've saved...perhaps for things that you'll be gifting to friends in Spain (i.e. Levi's, etc.) you could use them, though...

#34919 - 02/27/02 09:34 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

Cali,

I've always wondered what happens with those vacuum sealed bags, when they inspect the luggage, open them up, and all of a sudden you have four times as much luggage as what came out of the suitcase - rolleyes

I can just picture a half dozen big security people stomping on the bag while another one tries to zip it up, so it can be loaded onto the plane.

Wolf (Whose idea of traveling light is still a U-Haul trailer hooked behind the plane - smile )

#34920 - 02/28/02 12:12 AM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

WOLF...I'VE GOT AN IDEA...work with me here...

Assumptions: 1) Our luggage doesn't get inspected and 2) we're not too claustrophobic and don't mind the dark... Ok, picture this...giant life-size 'space bags'...a couple of those personal oxygen containers...and a steamer trunk, and WALLAH!, there you have it, cheap transport to Spain!! (Of course it certainly wouldn't be considered 'packing light' with me on board, especially after a week's worth of tortilla de patatas and Fanta Limones!!)

Always thinking,
-GG (Who's STILL trying to devise a way around those hefty 'high season' fares...)

#34921 - 02/28/02 12:02 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

GG,

I love your plan. Now all we have to do is figure out how to get that box past those pesky people sniffing dogs they use now, to inspect International cargo. Even if they don't spot us, they might "side bank" on the box, and that would be a terrible odor to put up with all the way to Spain. frown

I can picture it now. Popping out of the box in Spain, and having the police looking for you.....

"What does she look like?"

"I don't know. Just look for a gal who smells like dog p***!" eek

Wolf (Who likes GGs idea a lot, just concerned about the yellow stains he'd have on his shirt - wink )

#34922 - 02/28/02 07:14 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Thanks Wolf!

I think it could work...don't you think we could safeguard against the 'outside contaminants' with the plastic bags?! NOW we just have to get past those pesky customs inspectors!!

I'll keep brainstorming...

GranadaGirl laugh

#34923 - 03/11/02 04:14 PM Re: traveling light
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thought I'd revive this thread with a packing tip. I always worry about lost luggage and a change of clothes so I have my traveling companion take an outfit for me in their suitcase and I carry one for them. This way at least Ihave a change of clothes if my luggage was misplaced for a day or two.

#34924 - 03/11/02 07:31 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

HEY! That IS a good idea. I also suggest one of those super mini, FLAT (Totes brand) umbrellas. They really come in handy and don't take up any space in a bag at all. You can really even simply put in your back pocket. And (it's been mentioned before) take those little travel-sized bathrooms stuffs like shampoo, lotion, creams, soaps, gels, fungicides, nostril-hair clippers, toe-jam extractors, and.... OHMYGOD! WHATAMISAYING??! eek

#34925 - 03/11/02 10:10 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Well, MM, that may just have been more than we wanted to know about YOUR morning routine!!

wink

#34926 - 03/12/02 12:05 AM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Are toe-jam extractors included in the not-to-be-carried-on list???

#34927 - 03/21/02 12:09 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I don't think my status in the OA (overpackers anonymous) Club is in danger. Tonight I pack for Madrid once again.

Still, this time around, I'm determined (I say this EVERY time rolleyes ) to take HALF of what I took for the Christmas trip in December/January.

Spring can be a tough season for which to pack though, what with the colder nights and the potential for very very warm days. We'll be in Galicia for about 5 days next week during Semana Santa so it should be cool and damp there.

For this 16-day trip, I'm be packing ONE pair of shorts, 2 pair of jeans (plus the pair I'll be wearing on the plane), ONE pair of dress pants, 2 or 3 long-sleeved shirts and 2 or 3 short-sleeved shirts (I'm hoping to limit myself to JUST the two, but we'll see if I can win that battle -- my god! Isn't this terribly boring to whomever, if anyone, is reading this?? Sheesh! rolleyes ), 4-pair of socks, one pull-over sweater, and one set of sleeping clothes. ( confused )

I'm STILL in a quandry with the coat. Maybe I should buy one there. One of those typical, past-the-butt European style jackets.

Let's not forget the gifts, books, notebook, pens AND a hilighter, all addresses typed on ONE sheet of paper, copies of the inside cover of my passport, ATM card and 2 Credit Cards, and just enough US currency for the taxi to/from my airport here in Columbus.

Saludos, MadridMan

If anyone is interested (or bored during your lunch breaks), read my " MadridMan\'s Madrid 2002: Daily Online Journal ". I expect to upload/update this page daily (at night) when in Madrid, but might have to wait until returning TO Madrid from Galicia to tell what happened on that trip.

#34928 - 03/21/02 12:45 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Hey, MM...

Just do what I do...I've failed the OA group, I just take an extra empty duffle bag with me whenever I go for all the extra stuff I may bring back, and do CHECK all the stuff I (thought) I needed on the flight over that I never used!!

Buen Viaje!!

-GG

#34929 - 03/21/02 01:15 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

I'm with you, GG...I take an empty duffle in my suitcase. I fill it with dirty clothes during the trip and on the plane-ride home. It's not terribly heavy that way, and I fill my suitcase (which has harder sides and--importantly--wheels!) with all my purchases, including clothing purchases, my guidebooks, any heavy things, or any souvenirs that might be a little fragile. The really fragile stuff comes on the plane with me.

And MM, did you really think this crowd would find your packing list boring? Come on, we're all a bit obsessive about Spain travel, aren't we? I WANT to read people's packing lists!! smile

#34930 - 03/21/02 05:06 PM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
For my first trip (12 days) to Spain-here's what I'm packing..

-First, I am limiting myself to two pairs of footwear eek And that is a big milagro for me. I love shoes laugh I intend to bring a couple of new pairs back wink
-1 pair of jeans, 2 khaki pants(one regular length & the other ankle length), one pair of shorts
-two skirts(don't really know anyone there, yet, so for a more dressed ensemble one skirt is a small black one, the other a knee length jean skirt)
-a light cotton dress
-my jean jacket
-2 long-sleeved shirts
-2 short sleeved tops
-pajamas
-2 sets light cardigan with shells
-travel sized toiletries(toothbrush/paste, razor and shaving gel combo,small brush, those listerine strips)
-disposable moistwipes, tissues(travel packs
-female products(just in case) eek
-small packets of meds(Motrin,Imodium,Tums)
-oh, almost forgot my skivvies laugh
-camera,2 rolls of film, travel guide, photocopied maps,sunglasses,journal,PDA, my handy paratool wink I never leave the country without it)
-not to mention my passport, ID, 2 credit/ATM cards, copies of the mentioned items
-traveller's cheques, and some cash
-sense of humor, common sense, adventure, and FUN!

What else am I forgetting?

I know I'm leaving out a few other things!
Well, Taravb and GG, what else does a chica need? I was thinking maybe an umbrella... rolleyes

#34931 - 03/21/02 05:56 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

wyndyl--maybe a couple more rolls of film? I can't imagine going 12 days with only 2 rolls, and I hate paying tourist-trap prices for film. I usually take a roll for every day-and-a-half or so, but I am a big picture-taker! I would probably take 6-10 rolls for a 12 day trip (and that might be a bit excessive!!).

Most of the other stuff I would bring has been covered here already...yes, umbrella! Two pairs of shoes will be fine; I always shop for some there too. I would also bring a small bottle (travel-sized) of liquid laundry detergent, for emergencies or for when I run out of socks. Definitely take wipes of some sort (baby wipes or other hand wipes) for snacking on the go or for any other emergencies (these are GREAT for getting spills out of clothes too). I can't travel without a hair dryer, but I take my european travel one (purchased in Spain). I also take tea bags and a little immersion water heater, and a cup--for morning tea in my room.

Isn't it amazing how "bloated" our "traveling light" thread has become? Maybe we just like to talk a LOT about how LITTLE we (wish we could) take on vacation!

Oh--and you mentioned your PDA, wyndyl--I would take along a spare pair of batteries for that. I took mine to Spain last time, and was glad for it...it had phone numbers and addresses (even e-mail addresses, which were handy in internet cafes) and also a calculator function. I also put in notes about where we were staying, confirmation numbers, etc.--though in the interest of safety, I made a backup printout of those.

#34932 - 03/21/02 10:37 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

Wyndyl, when are you going? I didn't know this is your first time to Spain! Have a great time!!

NOW, as for the SKIVVIES and socks eek that you mentioned... you could just pack 1/2-3/4 the amount you'd need and wash as you go. OR, not to get TOO personal here... rolleyes pack old ones and throw them out as you go...

I'd also bring a little flashlight...you never know when you'll need it. I was on a business trip last week and the lights went out in the hotel!! BOY did I wish I had my mini flashlight with me...I'll never forget it again!! And I"m with Tara...I always bring 1 roll of film for every 1-2 days, they don't take up too much room, and they're way more expensive there!!

Have a great time!!

#34933 - 03/21/02 10:44 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Oh...another helpful thing to take along (instead of the laundry detergent I mentioned above)...those newfangled laundry detergent tablets are great because they weigh very little and take up no space--and can't leak!!

I joke about them at home (after all, who's really too lazy to scoop out laundry detergent? and have you noticed that the little plastic wrappers say "remove wrapper before using," as if I was going to toss the tablets, IN THE WRAPPER, into my washer?), but on vacation, they are great!!

You can draw half a tub of warm water, toss all your "skivvies" and socks in with one of those tablets, and give them a good wash! If you have a room with a window, open it up and hang everything on hangers to dry--or even better, on one of those portable stretchy clotheslines you can find at Target or WalMart. Voila...clean skivvies!! smile

#34934 - 03/21/02 11:10 PM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Thanks, ladies!
I will remember to bring the flashlight. I'm still looking around for some small packets of laundry detergent. But those tablets are a great idea! laugh

I'm also bring a cell phone. So, if anyone is interested in getting together I can email my number :p

GG-I'm going to be in Salamanca from 28,April to 4,May. Then I'll be in Madrid from 5-8th. I actually fly back to Chicago early on the 8th frown
Thanks for the ideas...And your right, taravb, looking at these items makes it seem like I am actually bringing whole wardrobe with me....

I thought I'd buy some film there; I was concerned about the x-ray machines...So, you all think film will be safe going through them confused If that's the case, I have more rolls to take with me.

Wendy

#34935 - 03/22/02 05:24 AM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Wendy! It was great to chat with you the other night and meet a fellow Pinay!! smile

Judging from your dates that you plan to be in Spain, some of your clothes seem to be excessive. I would reduce the number of long sleeved shirts and cardigan sets by half (bring only one of each) and bring an additional short sleeved or sleeveless top. I would also reduce the number of pants and increase the number of skirts (depends on if you are more a skirt or pants person). You will be more comfortable in the heat.

When I travel, I often bring an old oversized t-shirt as pijamas that I can just throw away at the end of the trip without feeling guilty. I pair that with a pair of lycra exercise shorts which then doubles when I want to do my exercises.

Rather than cotton, I would recommend other material for clothing that is light and packs easily without much wrinkling. Polyester is always a good choice and dries quickly.

Don´t forget a good moisturizing sunscreen for the face. Bandaids are indispensable for those pesky blisters.

Not sure how much you are into make-up, but I only take the bare necessities...waterproof mascara (essential in the sweltering heat of southen Spain), pressed powder, a lip gloss or sheer lipstick and a darker lip pencil for those nights out. Don´t forget the pencil sharpener!

Instead of traveling with a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, I travel with a combo product of the two.

Frankly, I´d forget the travelers cheques. The last few times that I traveled here (before actually moving here), I just brought my ATM card and a credit card. The travelers cheques (in my opinion) in this day and age of electronic banking are just a hassle. Your first day in town, take out as much cash as you think you will spend in 4 days. Store the extra somewhere safe. Pay all big purchases with your credit card (hostals, gifts, etc.). I am a big advocate of not carrying a lot of cash.

As a PDA fan, I use mine daily. The batteries generally last me about 3 months. As long as you have fresh batteries (I like the new longer life ones) in your PDA you should be fine. I know I have mentioned it before...but I´ll mention it again. If you don´t already have it, there is free METRO software available from many PDA sites where you can pick the cities you want and get the metro system and local train systems right on your PDA! I use mine religiously in Madrid.

Have a great trip WYNDYL!

#34936 - 03/22/02 07:03 AM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I looked at the 5-day forecast for Madrid AND Galicia and it seems they'll be in the low-to-mid 70şs eek so I packed an EXTRA short sleeved shirt. Looks like PERFECT temperatures!

Saludos, MadridMan

#34937 - 03/22/02 09:15 AM Re: traveling light
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Yep! The weather today is just beautiful and it's going to be summery all weekend long!!!

'La primavera ha venido, y nadie sabe como ha sido' (old saying)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

P.

P.D.: the most famous saying about spring though is 'Ąla primavera la sangre altera!' :p

#34938 - 04/08/02 02:28 AM Re: traveling light
j3 Offline

Travel laundry tip from a confirmed bachelor: see what the front desk will do it for! Some years back in Jerusalem, $10 did all the laundry I needed, and bought me a free evening in a wonderful city (so sad what is happening there now!). I suppose there may also be local laundries not too far from some hotels. My point is with the cost of travel, paying someone to do your wash may be a very good investment, especially if your time is short.

As a solo traveler, I use a medium roller bag and a day pack. If I check the bag, I put a clean pair of briefs in the bottom of the day pack in case of lost luggage. I've learned (the hard way) to keep a stock of cold tablets and other OTC stuff that I might need and not be able to get on a long flight. Not a lot--I usually take one of the aluminum/plastic punch sheets & tear off the instructions and keep it all in a sandwich ziplock bag.

I like to read, and have discovered books can easily outweigh everything else I take. I've banned hardcovers from my daypack, and leave finished paperbacks at hostels/hotels that have bookshelves. I've occasionally found used bookstores in Europe with things I'm interested in, but I don't count on it. I don't photocopy my tour book, but tear out the sections I want, bind them with some duct tape and leave the rest at home. I glue it back together when I get home.

Souvanier-wise (how do you spell that word?), I bring home ties, cds, and maybe small artwork. I like things that are usable over stuff that will gather dust.

Had my billfold lifted in Copenhagen bus terminal a couple of years ago. I was glad to have a stash of cash secreted & locked in my roller bag--not keeping it all in one place paid big dividends that day. I learned to not only copy the credit cards for this kind of problem, but to have the number of my calling card copied elsewhere--hard to use when it's been stolen! Finally, contact the credit card companies and find out how to reach them from the country you're visiting--the toll free number they give you is difficult to make work in other countries. Thankfully, my phone card company was very helpful in the situation and gave me some gratis calls to reach the credit card companies. Likewise, AMEX had a card for me the next day.

Sorry to drift from packing into security, but I guess it's pretty related!

JP

#34939 - 04/08/02 06:01 AM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

There's one thing I always like to take with me on a trip, but am disappointed that it now has to be part of my checked luggage.

I'm referring to my Swiss Navy knife.

Although it's not as well known as the Swiss Army knife, with its million blades, etc., the Swiss Navy knife has only one blade. When extended, it can also serve as a paddle for kayaking.

Wolf (Whose travel philosophy is Be prepared! For anything! - wink )

#34940 - 04/08/02 10:19 AM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Wolf, who'd have thought a landlocked country like Switzerland would maintain a Navy?

Are you sure you didn't pick that knife up in some shop up north in WI? You can't believe the stuff Ole and Lena tell you about where they get their knives, man!
Tara (who always brings her Swiss Army knife, because it has a CORKSCREW!!!!) smile

#34941 - 04/08/02 11:31 AM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Like Wolf, I'm disappointed that I have to check my Leatherman. frown Before Sept. 11, I always felt confident I had it in my purse or carry on. Whenever I travel out of state or out of the country I take it with...

Like Wolf, I believe in being prepared..let's see, I've a file, scissors, screwdrivers, knife, ruler, pliers, etc...What else could a girl need confused

Wyndyl wink

#34942 - 04/08/02 03:19 PM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

I recall on a flight back to the USA about 7 yrs. ago from Caracas, Venezuela almost not making it onto the plane on account of my purse-sized mace can attached to my key chain. I had a hard time explaining in Spanish (back then) to the security guards what the heck was in the can and that I did NOT intend to use it to hijack the plane.

Boy was I redfaced when they attached a bright pink tag to the key chain that read something like "DANGEROUS MATERIALS. HAND CARRY ONLY BY AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL" . Geeze, I felt sooo conspicuous asking for my keys back at the end of the flight. I sure got some funny looks when going through customs! wink

Tip: Girls, for Spain leave the mace at home, or pack it in your suitcase!!

#34943 - 04/08/02 08:03 PM Re: traveling light
Wolf Offline

Yes, every member of the Swiss Navy was issued one of these knives. It's main purpose was for picking and flicking pimento out of olives, and the eyes from smoked herrings. Even today, in some remote villages in Switzerland, they have their annual picking and flicking contests, where the winners are awarded trophies made entirely of swiss cheese.

Over the years, it evolved into such exotic usage as a paddle for kayakers and canoeists. The most ingenious usage was from sailors who used them to replace broken rudders on 3 meter yachts during races. It can be easily carried in any six foot long pocket, and is hardly noticeable - laugh

Long before American Express came out with their famous; "Don't leave home without it!" phrase, Swiss housewives were saying, "Don't leave home without taking that damned thing with you!", in regards to the knife. Chances are AE copied this catchy phrase for their advertising.

Wolf (Who has franchises available for anyone interested in marketing the Swiss Navy knife in their area - laugh )

#34944 - 04/08/02 10:28 PM Re: traveling light
GranadaGirl Offline

I've found the lesser-known yet just as reliable Lichtenstein Marine Knives work just as well at half the price. (and size...) rolleyes laugh

#34945 - 04/25/02 08:33 AM Re: traveling light
travel agent Offline

Loc: new jersey
I've been a travel agent for 15 years. so I really take advantage of my discounts and travel alot.

I shop my local salvation army or mission store before a big trip. Buying tee shirts, sweaters, shirts, long skirts and jeans at dirty bottom prices. I pack all my finds in my suitcase.

As I wear the clothes, I throw them away. I don't have to worry about laundry or carrying the dirty items back home.

I return home either with an empty suitcase or a suitcase filled with souvenirs.

#34946 - 04/27/02 09:05 AM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

laugh I leave in 8 hours!!!! laugh

I do have a last minute question. wink I want to bring a light jacket with me, should I bring a denim jacket or a light short trench coat? The trench is black,has two pockets and a tie belt. Obviously the denim jacket is denim blue with 2 small pockets with buttons. Both are stylish and light to carry...Which should I bring? frown

Does the denim scream " Look at the American tourist!!! confused

I don't want to bring both, though I do have the room... rolleyes but I'm trying to pack lightly, right?

Really, really excited about the trip,
Wyndyl :p

Wyndyl

#34947 - 04/27/02 09:14 AM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

wyndyl, I don't think the denim jackets, which are apparently all the rage in Spain right now, will scream "AMERICAN!". It usually the combination of jean jacket, jeans, and tennis shoes that does it. I was standing in line at Barajas coming home a few weeks ago frown and saw a couple of "American" looking perfectly.. well... "American" with their jean jackets, jeans, and white tennis shoes. THIS was the man. The woman wore a jean jacket (or was it a denim shirt? -- I think THIS scream "AMERICAN!"), denim skirt, AND WHITE TENNIS SHOES!!! eek

I'm not so sure that denim makes for a lightweight suitcase though. Have a great trip!

Saludos, MadridMan

#34948 - 04/27/02 09:18 AM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Thanks for the prompt reply, MM! smile I was starting to panic! I'm not usually up this early in the morning, but obviously, laugh too excited to sleep....

Thanks! I've promised to keep people up to date on this chicky's Spanish Adventure....whohoo laugh

Wyndyl wink

#34949 - 04/27/02 10:30 AM Re: traveling light
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Have a wonderful time! laugh We'll all be waiting to hear about your trip!

#34950 - 05/03/02 12:26 AM Re: traveling light
lagurl Offline

Perhaps someone can assist me. I will be in Madrid participating in an intern program June-August, then doing a bit of travelling. My dilema is that since I will be working...exactly what type of clothes to bring. I am fine in regards to my attire (casual) for running around town at night or on the weekends, but packing work clothes is a bit difficult. I have a lot of nice work clothes, but I want to blend and I am trying to keep it relatively light. Any ideas?

#34951 - 05/03/02 06:11 AM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

lagurl...I suppose it depends on the company that you will be working for. I am in and out of alot of businesses and deal with all levels of employees.

For the most part, the dress seems to be business casual for the ladies and men. Suits if you are in a higher managerial position. Pantsuits seem to be popular among the ladies in the marketing department of one company where I teach.

No sneakers or jeans. Stylish shoes and of course a nice scarf to add that splash of color. Jewelry tends to be tasteful and conservative (no huge earrings). Hair styles are sleek. No big hair with layers of hairspray and gel.

Also, keep in mind that Spaniards tend to "recycle" their clothes much more frequently than Americans. Meaning, it´s fine to wear the same pair of pants or blouse or skirt more than once or twice in the same week. Simply change the outfit and the accessories for a different look. That should help you to keep your packing light!

Hope this is helpful!

#34952 - 05/04/02 02:46 PM Re: traveling light
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I find shoes to be an interesting dilemma. I have been told that I must have Tevas to wear at the beach because the sand is hot enough to blister one's feet. I need brown leather walking shoes for the cities and a pair of brown leather sandals which can be worn during the day or in the evening with a dress. Plus, I have been told NOT to forget my tennis shoes to wear in the narural parks and for casual days. Yikes!!! I am taking more shoes than clothes!! About the tennis shoes .... I asked several OSU graduate students (from various parts of Spain) about tennis shoes. They all have white tennis shoes and wear them whenever they please. Their parents also have them, but wear them more selectively. It is our white socks that they find so amusing and the fact that sometimes people wear socks with sandals. One person showed me a photo of a herself and friends from several Spanish cities taken while they were touring Toledo in March. Then were all wearing jeans with white tennis shoes!! I am still in a quandary as to what shoes are really necessary for June and July!!

#34953 - 05/04/02 05:41 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Sel,I was in Madrid, Segovia, small towns touring castles, out to a beach town in Cantabria, and hanging out at football(soccer) fields june and July last year. I had black Mephisto sandals that I wore constantly, white & tan LEATHER sneakers, little, dressier black sandals for night and some fun flipflop sort of things for the beach that I bought in Spain.I was very happy with what I had and felt I looked "normal".

#34954 - 05/05/02 01:28 PM Re: traveling light
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the feedback. It is funny that shoes are such a concern. I am taking two kids halfway around the world and worrying about shoes!! Getting my 17 year old daughter to pack lightly is quite comical. Her little brother only needs his day pack and is offering to sell her space in his bag!!

#34955 - 06/04/02 03:55 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

As I watched my husband and daughter pack for a camping trip this past weekend, I noticed a couple of items I will be sure to bring on future trips to Spain (or anywhere else in Europe):

Campsuds soap--this stuff comes in small bottles, is highly concentrated (and environmentally friendly), and can be used for hands and body, hair, clothes, dishes, whatever. I think I will keep some in my day pack for washing utensils (see next item below), some clothes, and even hands when there's not soap in a restroom.

Strong plastic utensils--these cost about $1 a set at camping supply stores, and the knives really cut. I would have taken metal ones, but I feel strange packing a metal knife just now!! They are meant to be washed and reused...great for yogurt, fruit, or bread from the grocery store.

Small stuff sacks--these little nylon or mesh bags are great for organizing your suitcase or backpack.

People have already mentioned flashlights, of course.

Happy packing!

#34956 - 06/05/02 07:54 AM Re: traveling light
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hi Everyone. I am on vacation right now and I only brought a medium-sized backpack plus a daypack. I discovered after a few days that I totally over-packed and had to mail clothes home. I just bought a ton of stuff in Turkey and asked a grocery store for a box (couldn't find a place that sold one) and mailed it home, along with some more clothes. I have been in Greece for 2 weeks and it is 95 degrees out and I have a week to go. I brought 2 lightwight sweaters - MISTAKE, I only need one. I just wash my socks in the sink with little packs of woolite from the Rand Mc Nally store, hang it out to dry and it's fine. This method works if it is hot out, but I think that applies to Spain. In retrospect, I worried too much about what clothes to bring and now I'm stuck with too many clothes. My two most indespensable items: My Merrell hiking/trail shoes and my patagonia black shorts, which look nice enough to go out at night with sandals and a tank top. I really hope my boxes and envelopes GET home, but if they DO, the "find a post office and mail stuff home" method is a good one and easy. If you aren't sure if you can live with something or not, give it a try. Now I won't be weighed down at the airport going home. Besides, I'm having way too much fun to think about clothes and you will be too when you're actually THERE. I've never gone on vacation and thought "I should have brought MORE clothes!"

I don't really know why I am writing the Spain message board from Greece, but it is so hot outside I need an internet/Amstel break!

happy travelling! (gosh I sound like Rick Steves - must be the vacation/mediterranean high!)

#34957 - 06/05/02 08:42 AM Re: traveling light
joey Offline

We travel to Europe with 2 children for two weeks without checking a bag. My wife is a brilliant organizer. Once she determines that an article of clothing only has one more wearing left she sets it aside for our vacation. After its worn, just throw it away. She and the kids bring back less clothes than they left with, creating room in the bags for souvenirs. Personally, I don't think that way. I just cram in as little as possible.

A friend of mine just returned from two weeks in Italy with his wife. Their luggage was lost both ways. Check your bags, take your chances.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments