Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34885 - 04/22/01 06:15 PM Re: traveling light
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I just flew in from Vienna last night and noticed the following:

Women need a scarf! The most noticeable difference between European and American women was they wear scarves with everything and look great!

Black is still a big fashion statement, though I did see jeans and some gym shoes.

Those members of our group who had roll-on carry-on luggage were almost always told there was no room for them on crowded flights. That meant that if they had things in there to keep them comfortable during the flight, they had no access to it. If you had a large bag that you carried (like I did), you could take it with you.

I tried the No Jet Lag stuff Magellan sells and found I wasn't quite as out of it when I arrived in Europe. I got 2 seats to myself on the plane, so I also got more sleep than usual. I don't know which was more responsible for my being somewhat functional when I got to my destination!

#34886 - 04/26/01 11:21 AM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
AHA!! I'm going to find out this weekend if all your comments work for me. I fly out Friday afternoon and returning on Monday morning. The 2 legs of span a total of 8 hours which does not include a 2-hour layover in Atlanta (I'm not going to Spain, unfortunately).

I am determined to ONLY take my carry-on bag, a sports bag that maximizes the allowable carry-on size.

The thing is I have to take a sport jacket/blazer and it won't nicely fit into the bag. A friend suggested I ROLL the jacket instead of folding to avoid some wrinkles. I'm also thinking I'll roll the blazer and put it in it's own bag which I'll carry by hand, like in a handle shopping bag which I could put/place carefully (hopefully) in the planes overhead compartment. Any ideas?? confused smile

Thanks! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34887 - 04/26/01 11:56 AM Re: traveling light
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
MM, is it heresy to suggest that you WEAR it on the flight? Besides avoiding the problem of carrying it, my gate agent friend tells me that sometimes they're told to fill First Class seats for a flight and they're supposed to choose the lucky ones from among the "best-dressed" - and that means closest to "business" dress. This could be YOU!!!
Otherwise, that shopping bag idea sounds good.

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Catalina ]

#34888 - 04/26/01 12:13 PM Re: traveling light
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Madridman, I currently moonlight in the men's suits department at a major retailer, and the best advise to give you about rolling up your sportcoat is to fold it INSIDE-OUT and then rolle it up, this will really help with the wrinkles...

by any chance, you're not going to N.M. this weekend, are you? wink

#34889 - 04/26/01 12:28 PM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Catalina, good idea about WEARING the jacket, but it'll be an overnight flight and I'll (hopefully) be sleeping so..... I WILL try asking nicely for a FREE upgrade to 1st Class though. hehehe..

laduque, GREAT idea on the inside-out suit jacket. I'll do that. I would think this way would create MORE wrinkles because it would be buckling inside instead of stretched outside. Knowhatimeanvern?

Someone also suggested a small nylon/cotton coat bag in which to carry the jacket, but this seems a bit too much. And unfortunately no, I'm not going to NM this weekend, but to attend my sister's son's christening south of London. Fast trip, but it will be worth it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34890 - 05/02/01 10:18 AM Re: traveling light
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I took an American tourister rolling suit case, that expands two inches. This is the best piece of luggage, I have ever had. I took it as a carry on, and was not questioned by Air France (great airline by the way). I didn't use the extra two inches going over, but I did on the way back, and checked it. I guess it was 12x24. Then I used a tote that folds up and velcros, as a purse, and put anything I needed like book, maps etc in it for the flight. I didn't take a purse to Madrid, because I bought one there. laugh

#34891 - 05/03/01 09:11 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Nic..how was the purse selection? I keep hearing about the shoes. I need a nice looking, safe-to-carry black leather purse. Should I wait til Spain??

#34892 - 05/03/01 10:17 PM Re: traveling light
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
The purse selection is also fantastic!!!I always find something I like and you will definitely find what you want there!!!I would wait to get to Spain...Oh, and the prices are so much more reasonable there!

Happy Shopping!!! laugh

#34893 - 05/04/01 11:08 AM Re: traveling light
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Purse shopping was amazing! I bought mine at the department store, El Cortes de Engles , I think that's correct, in the Salmanca district. I am weird about that kind of stuff, I wanted to make sure that it was made in Spain. It's a Piel Morena, about $100. I figure you can buy a Gucci, or other name brand anywhere, but I wanted Spanish. Same with the shoes. I bought a pair of shoes at a funky little shop, on the same shopping trip. I wish I would have bought two pairs. As far as prices, I have to be honest, I thought they were about the same. I also bought some perfume and scarves at Zara,it seemed to be a popular store. I also bought scarves at Globe. I didn't buy clothes, because frankly, I didn't want to pack them, and I can get them at home. I also reccommend the Blue Indigo, for unique home items, on Calle de Claudio. I am at work right now, so I am going by memory. The other shop that I bought some small pottery, type candy dishes for about $5, was at the Museo shop, (In Salmanca on a Main St near Zara I believe, and also at the airport across from the duty free) they actually came with descriptions of how important the Fleur De Lis (sp) is to Spanish tiles. Great small gift items. I wish I would have bought more, but, I couldn't think with my husband in my ear. rolleyes One of the trends that I saw women with in Madrid as a whole, no matter where we were, is that they take little shopping bags with them everywhere. The kind like Bath and Body Works gives you when you make a purchase. I highly reccommend stopping at Gino's for an Italian lunch, it was great! We stayed in Madrid for 5 days and we were looking for something different. Also, stop for lunch around 2:00, because most shops close then. When you are done with lunch, find the department stores, because they stay open. Then head back to the small shops as they reopen between 4:30 and 5:00.

Sorry MM, as I read this, I should have put on the shopping thread, but I got into a rant. You know how serious women are about their shopping.

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#34894 - 11/05/01 03:34 AM Re: traveling light
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
NOTHING better than a transatlantic first-class flight. Most people can't afford it, including me. I was lucky enough to get upgraded. Actually I got upgraded, and when my flight from Rome to Memphis through Amsterdam got cancelled, they put me in a Five star hotel. It was awesome, in fact, I chose to stay the night, because I had nothing else to do. I am really going to be upset when i have to go back to flying coach when I go to Vallencia next year, because there's no way I'll be able to afford 1st class.

It was great, though. The seats reclined like a lazyboy and they served me drinks whenever I wanted them, all the while I was watching unreleased movies on my personal tv screen. I never went to sleep, because I didn't want to miss any of the luxury that I would doubtfully ever get to experience again! Hehe, but if you can arrange it, try and get one of your layovers so short it is prone to be delayed so you can request an upgrade to first class!

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments