MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#34955 - 06/04/02 03:55 PM Re: traveling light
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
As I watched my husband and daughter pack for a camping trip this past weekend, I noticed a couple of items I will be sure to bring on future trips to Spain (or anywhere else in Europe):

Campsuds soap--this stuff comes in small bottles, is highly concentrated (and environmentally friendly), and can be used for hands and body, hair, clothes, dishes, whatever. I think I will keep some in my day pack for washing utensils (see next item below), some clothes, and even hands when there's not soap in a restroom.

Strong plastic utensils--these cost about $1 a set at camping supply stores, and the knives really cut. I would have taken metal ones, but I feel strange packing a metal knife just now!! They are meant to be washed and reused...great for yogurt, fruit, or bread from the grocery store.

Small stuff sacks--these little nylon or mesh bags are great for organizing your suitcase or backpack.

People have already mentioned flashlights, of course.

Happy packing!

#34956 - 06/05/02 07:54 AM Re: traveling light
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hi Everyone. I am on vacation right now and I only brought a medium-sized backpack plus a daypack. I discovered after a few days that I totally over-packed and had to mail clothes home. I just bought a ton of stuff in Turkey and asked a grocery store for a box (couldn't find a place that sold one) and mailed it home, along with some more clothes. I have been in Greece for 2 weeks and it is 95 degrees out and I have a week to go. I brought 2 lightwight sweaters - MISTAKE, I only need one. I just wash my socks in the sink with little packs of woolite from the Rand Mc Nally store, hang it out to dry and it's fine. This method works if it is hot out, but I think that applies to Spain. In retrospect, I worried too much about what clothes to bring and now I'm stuck with too many clothes. My two most indespensable items: My Merrell hiking/trail shoes and my patagonia black shorts, which look nice enough to go out at night with sandals and a tank top. I really hope my boxes and envelopes GET home, but if they DO, the "find a post office and mail stuff home" method is a good one and easy. If you aren't sure if you can live with something or not, give it a try. Now I won't be weighed down at the airport going home. Besides, I'm having way too much fun to think about clothes and you will be too when you're actually THERE. I've never gone on vacation and thought "I should have brought MORE clothes!"

I don't really know why I am writing the Spain message board from Greece, but it is so hot outside I need an internet/Amstel break!

happy travelling! (gosh I sound like Rick Steves - must be the vacation/mediterranean high!)

#34957 - 06/05/02 08:42 AM Re: traveling light
joey Offline

We travel to Europe with 2 children for two weeks without checking a bag. My wife is a brilliant organizer. Once she determines that an article of clothing only has one more wearing left she sets it aside for our vacation. After its worn, just throw it away. She and the kids bring back less clothes than they left with, creating room in the bags for souvenirs. Personally, I don't think that way. I just cram in as little as possible.

A friend of mine just returned from two weeks in Italy with his wife. Their luggage was lost both ways. Check your bags, take your chances.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments