Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34824 - 03/25/01 12:46 AM Shorts?
chemicalmike Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I heard that no one in Spain wears shorts? Is this true? I am going in early-mid May when the temperatures should be nice and mild. Will I be the only one in shorts? Or will I just look like all the other tourists?

#34825 - 03/25/01 06:54 AM Re: Shorts?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Our host in Madrid (Madrileño - age 65) wears 'walking shorts' quite often during the summer. Many 'pilgrims' on the Camino Frances wear hiking shorts. The cloak (adorned with scallop shell) of the pilgrim has given way to a 'poncho' but the 'flop' hat and staff are still part of the 'uniform.'
Shorts are more often seen in tourist spots than in the larger cities.
BUT
You say early to mid-May: That's not summer! About the only place shorts are seen that early is on the Costa del Sol. You might say it's gauche to wear shorts that time of year

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 03-25-2001).]

#34826 - 03/25/01 02:53 PM Re: Shorts?
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
I definitely agree with Eddie! You'll stick out like a sore thumb walking around in shorts. No one here wears shorts until August, really. Even when going to the beach, you wear pants or a dress (women, of course) and then take it off when you get there. There's certainly nothing WRONG with it though, its not like the Middle East or something where you're going to offend someone--its just a matter of "blending in". And, when you wear shorts, be extra careful on the metro for pickpockets--it just screams "tourist!" Good luck, and have fun.

#34827 - 03/26/01 04:37 AM Re: Shorts?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I know that in some places like churches they do not let get in to people who are in shorts or if their shoulders are not covered.

What I've noticed is that in Europe people like to dress up, maybe becouse they socialize more, they are in contact with others on the streets, metro, trains, and they care about their appearance.

Looking at the people in Madrid one Saturday night, it was like a fashion show,
and once back to California, walking in a mall looking at the people, men a women with big T-shirts, big shorts, sandals. things that do not match with their bodies.
it gave me the impresion that they do not care about themselves or the others.

Rafael

#34828 - 03/26/01 12:59 PM Re: Shorts?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I work in an office on the Costa del Sol and Eddie's right. In May my shorts are dusted off and the world is exposed to not a pretty sight! With a polo shirt, that's my "uniform" until October (not the same one, I hasten to add!). Many Spaniards dress this way too in summer and why not? Just have a look in all the stores now, as they are starting to stock the Bermudas and these aren't for tourists.

Disagree with the beach bit. I think you stand out if you're NOT dressed in shorts going down to the beach.

#34829 - 03/26/01 05:45 PM Re: Shorts?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
But I think that if you walk aroound central in Madrid in shorts in May, I am afraid you are going to be recognizable as a tourist.

#34830 - 03/26/01 08:11 PM Re: Shorts?
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
I think it depends on where you are going. I also read that Spaniards dress up a lot and took very nice clothes. I ended up on the Costa del Sol for a month and found that people there dressed really casual so most of my clothes never got worn at all!

#34831 - 03/27/01 06:25 AM Re: Shorts?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
The weather dictates casual dress, jensdog, for during the daytime on the Costa del Sol.

However, we dress more formally, ie trousers instead of shorts, for the evening if we are going for a meal, or heading into town for a drink or two.

Unfortunately, we also have the occasional disgusting sight of a (almost always Brit) large male tourist walking around town in just his shorts, wandering in and out of shops, getting on buses etc......YUK!!

#34832 - 03/27/01 03:30 PM Re: Shorts?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Actually, you're all right. It depends on where you go, and the season, as to what is and isn't acceptable attire.

As an example, in Rota, the influence of the US Navy is apparent. More jeans & t-shirts with logos on them than you could imagine. They even wear tennis shoes, etc.

A friend of ours, who had worked in a suit his entire life ended up doing a project at the Naval Station there... was from Madrid... was going to work in jeans, American style shirts, and tennis shoes. Even though he's an engineer.

I was surprised at how many Spaniards in their 40s & 50s were included in this change of clothing style. But that was Rota. Just a few miles away, in Cadiz, it was completely different.

On the other hand, anyone in Bilbao, or Madrid, wearing shorts while shopping, is more than likely a tourist.

Wolf

#34833 - 03/31/01 10:42 AM Re: Shorts?
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Anchovy Front, I'm sure you're right about shorts going to the beach in Costa del Sol, sorry I forget that its different here in Barcelona, where you'll be taking the metro through town with other people NOT going to the beach...and once you're on the beach, then the shorts are unveiled from underneath the outer clothing! And, I'm mostly referring to spring and fall anyways, I wasn't here over the summer, so I'm not sure. I was just on the beach today, and wore my jeans down there, and slipped on shorts once I got there. Only (yes, mainly British) tourists wear shorts to and from the beach.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments