Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34820 - 03/19/01 08:16 PM Bringing Computers from America to Spain?
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am considering moving to Spain for 1-2 years.

My greatest concern is that I run an Internet Business (California Corporation) and I do not want that to suffer. Being Internet based, shouldn't be a problem, right? As long as I've got dedicated high speed access and a couple of my most powerful machines, I'm good to go.

I heard from a friend that there is no DSL in Europe but rather ISDN only and I heard it's rather expensive. Is this true and applicable to Spain? Anyone know the typical cost of high-speed DEDICATED Internet Access in Pesetas per month?

Does anyone know what import policies there might be in regards to shipping American computers to Spain (in other words, I'd want to bring a couple of my main servers with me). Is it a nightmare or reasonably feasible?

Anyone have experience moving their Internet business to Spain or at least running their American based Internet business from a remote location such as Spain/Europe? Thanks for your time! EDR

#34821 - 03/20/01 07:15 AM Re: Bringing Computers from America to Spain?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I'm waiting for Telefonica to install an ADSL line here on the Costa del Sol for me. I've been waiting a couple of months now, but a friend further up the coast had his put in in just ten days.

I think it costs around 30.000 / 40.000 Ptas to install and then 6.500 Ptas a month for continuous 24 hour access.

#34822 - 03/20/01 04:00 PM Re: Bringing Computers from America to Spain?
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
Last year I packed my 5 year old DEC PC in a suitcase with the monitor in a carefully cushioned box. No questions at customs in Madrid. When I fired it up in Gijon (Asturias), no problem! I connected to the internet via Telecable.
Installation cost was 11,240 ptas with a monthly rate of 6202 ptas (which includes "basic" cable).

#34823 - 03/27/01 08:13 AM Re: Bringing Computers from America to Spain?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Note that ADSL connection is *not* available everywhere. For example, here in Nerja it's readily available, but 8 km north in Frigiliana, it's not. Be careful where you settle!

Indeed, if you choose to live out in the countryside, you may not even be able to get a fixed-line telephone and have to rely on a mobile.

ADSL is gradually but slowly becoming available, and know several people who have had it installed very quickly indeed. (As well as one who had a complete disaster!)

The latest flyer I have received from Telefónica is offering continuous ADSL connection "up to 256 Kb/s" for 6,500 ptas per month (plus IVA at 16%). It doesn't quote the installation charge. Check out their site : www.telefonicaonline.com

But in *any* dealings with Telefónica (or their agents etc.) **read the small print**!! They have a certain reputation of creative accounting ... especially with us foreigners!

[This message has been edited by davej (edited 03-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by davej (edited 03-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 03-27-2001).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments