Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34814 - 03/16/01 08:26 AM Need help with packing
tulip Offline

Loc: New York USA
Hi: I am leaving this week for Madrid and Barcelona. I live in the northeast and we are still getting snow. I know that it was posted to bring a medium coat for the beginning of March, but what about now? The weather chanel is saying Madrid 68 degrees. Is that true. Can anyone suggest what type of clothing to take. I have been in Paris in March and it was really, really cold. I am really having trouble packing. Any suggestions will be truly appreciated. Thanks

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-16-2001).]

#34815 - 03/16/01 04:34 PM Re: Need help with packing
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
When I lived in Madrid I didn't own a winter coat. I couldn't fit my Chicago winter "Nanouk of the North" parka in my suitcase, so I used a London Fog trenchcoat with a zip out lining and lots of sweaters. I also wore gloves and a scarf. Now I live in Tucson and can tell you that in the winter when the high is 68, you must remember that there is a LOW of perhaps 35! You want to check the range of temperatures in Madrid to see how cold it can get!

I have to pack for a trip to Kosovo (of all places!) and plan to take a silk t-shirt, cotton t's, long-sleeved poly blend shirts, sweaters, and a fleece jacket. That way I can add or subtract layers as the need arises. I will only pack pants for this trip because I am not going anywhere fancy, but if I were, I'd also take a basic black dress or a nice skirt that I could spruce up in. Of course, bring an umbrella!

I hope this helps! Have a great time!

#34816 - 03/17/01 06:32 AM Re: Need help with packing
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
checking in the internet for the next 5 days the temperature in Madrid will be in the 60ties and the lowest temperatures will be between 45 and 50.
Barcelona is a little warmer than Madrid.
take a good jacket with you and if you have cold you could buy a good leather jacket in any of the several stores at the Gran Via in Madrid, I bought on of then for my sister for 50 dollars.
Paris is much colder than Madrid.
I was in Madrid 4 week ago, and the lowest temperatures were close to 40 degrees, the last day went down to 32, it was cold but I had a good jacket and had no problem. what I found unusual for me living in California, is that at 9 in the morning was colder than at midnight.

Rafael

#34817 - 03/19/01 04:36 PM Re: Need help with packing
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
As was mentioned, one of the most valuable things you can pack for Spain (especially in the Spring and late Fall)is a small, fold-up umbrella. Although I must admit, a sudden shower was always a good excuse to duck inside for a cafe solo or a "cana" of beer...The umbrella could also serve as a weapon, I suppose, if all those stories in the safety and security thread are true!
I also survive the cooler months with a trench coat and liner augmented by a silk undershirt and a cashmere pullover. I've survived Wisconsin in January with that combination and it's surely no colder in Madrid - ever!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1943 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments