Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34793 - 03/10/01 09:10 PM US Passports (how to get quickly?)
gah712 Offline

Loc: Austin TX - US
Any advice on the best way to expedite my first-time passport? I've explored all the options, but would like feedback before I do this on Monday!!
I have 2 weeks left.....thanks!

#34794 - 03/10/01 09:23 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[the following is copied from my email to you, but I invite all other ideas]

.....There are a few services that do this. You may first go to your local AAA office or ask your travel agent and they should be able to instruct you but do it on Monday! Don't wait. Also, read through this US Government info page @ http://travel.state.gov/passport_expedite.html

There are also a few services online that do this for a price:
http://www.aaasamedaypassport.com/ http://www.affordablepassport.com/how.htm http://www.rscs.net/~gb2570/How_Fast.html

Good luck!!

Saludos,

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34795 - 03/10/01 10:09 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
The following is information that may help you expedite your passport. We were able to get ours in less than a week. For further information in regards to this, contact your closest "larger metropolitan" post office, and you can usually take care of all the details through them, after you get your passport photos taken. It will be back to you very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Wolf
----------------------------------

The State Department just opened a privately run passport processing service that gives assistance if you're applying for a new passport, renewing an old one, need safety information on foreign countries or have an emergency. You will be charged 35 cents per minute for automated service and $1.05 per minute for operator assistance. Call: National Passport Information Center, 900-225-5674.
$TIP: Need a passport immediately? For an additional $30, the Center's "Expedite Service" will get you one within three business days, AFTER receiving all necessary papers. NOTE: The average time required to get or renew a passport is three weeks, not including mail time, and a lot longer in late spring and summer, peak travel times.

#34796 - 03/11/01 07:42 AM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
nevado Offline

Not to alarm anyone, but my mother just applied for a new passport for our trip to China. She paid the extra expedition fee and it's been 9 days...still waiting. She sent all the necessary documents overnight. Keep your fingers crossed!

#34797 - 03/11/01 04:18 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
A friend of mine lost her passport only a week before a trip to London. She was able to go to Philadelphia with her plane ticket and about $120 and get a new passport that day.

#34798 - 03/11/01 05:59 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
gah,

The reason I indicated the post office and State Department is because they do the expediting themselves. They will get it back to you quickly, but make sure that the documents you send are accurate. Remember, a birth certificate that does not carry a notary republic seal isn't considered valid. It must be a validated birth certificate and the pictures should be taken by a photographer who has dealt with passports to insure the sizes are correct.

Call the State Department at the number I indicated, and head to the post office afterwards...... you still have time but not much. A one or two day delay could kill your chances of getting it.

Wolf

#34799 - 03/11/01 07:57 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
gah712 Offline

Loc: Austin TX - US
Thanks for all the advice you guys. I've decided to head for the passport agency directly on Wed. morning in Houston. Got an 8:30 am appointment! I don't want to take any chances, and it's only 3 hrs. from Austin - totally worth the drive to avoid the risk.

#34800 - 03/11/01 09:38 PM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I think you will definitely get it within a few days if you go directly to the Main office in your state. When I got my first passport, I needed it expedited, and I went right to the main office in Boston and it was at my house in days! Good Luck!

#34801 - 03/17/01 08:56 AM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
If you are in Austin, your Passport will probably be issued out of New Orleans, not Houston. You probably won't get 'over the counter' service like you might be able to get in New Orleans or Philadelphia. But if you have the necessary documents (& photos) and you can wait 3 to 5 working days, you should be OK.
BTW
Take your airline ticket to show to the person processing your passport application

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 03-17-2001).]

#34802 - 03/17/01 10:59 AM Re: US Passports (how to get quickly?)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[a recent email from gah712....]

Just a note to say thanks again for the info/help. I managed to get my passport in about 2 hours at the Houston agency, and will be getting my int'l driving permit next week, just before I leave.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments