Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34775 - 02/28/01 11:33 AM is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
michelle Offline

Loc: Christmas Island Australia
Hi,

Im travelling around Spain and Portugal for one month starting from next week. I suppose Ill mostly be catching buses and trains to get to each destination. I was considering getting a roller bag, since the last trip I made, my backpack nearly killed me. Would this be too troublesome moving around Spain

#34776 - 02/28/01 12:33 PM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I am not familiar with rollerbags... what are they like?

#34777 - 02/28/01 03:27 PM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
aphra Offline

Loc: New York City, USA
Hi, Michelle. Wheels can be very useful or just the opposite, depending on where you're traveling. They're great on pavement or when you're headed down a long stretch of airport terminal but don't work especially well in old European cities with a lot of cobblestone streets, for example. Get something you can either roll or carry comfortably as the situation demands--you'll appreciate the versatility. And above all, of course, pack light!

#34778 - 02/28/01 03:51 PM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I absolutely wanted to die when I traveled with my rolling suitcase. As Aphra said, they are totally impractical for cobblestone streets, as they are for trying to go up and down the stairs in Metro terminals, or for anywhere you need to go in a hurry except airport hallways. I'd discourage and say stick with the backpack?

#34779 - 02/28/01 07:06 PM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Ohhhh. that's what you meant. I actually have seen a few combination rollerbags/backpacks (basically backpacks with wheels) in luggage shops recently. I was bummed because I figured I was the first one tho think about how useful something like that would be. You might want to check it out. I don't know how comfortable they are, and you will probably use the backpack more than the wheels because of the plenitude of cobblestone streets, but could be worth it nonetheless. Otherwise, invest in a really nice, well-fitting pack - and take a third of what you originally want to pack. You will buy stuff along the way!

#34780 - 03/01/01 11:12 AM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I've traveled with both. Most recently I went with one of those rolling suitcases with the option of using it on my back or also carrying it like a regular suitcase. I highly recommend one! If you're familiar with the store REI, they have a couple of nice ones. They have a flap that zips over the straps. Check it out. Also, if the bag is a bit smaller (than a traditional backpack) you won't be so tempted to overpack!

#34781 - 03/02/01 10:51 PM Re: is a rollerbag impractical for travelling?
michelle Offline

Loc: Christmas Island Australia
Thanks a lot for all your advice. I found a REI store and will be checking out their "roller backpacks" tomorrow. From the website they look pretty big in terms of capacity

Yes , I definitely agree though, Im going to pack half of what I intend to bring!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments