Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34757 - 02/17/01 10:23 PM Staying warm from April to May
SpainSpud Offline

How heavy should the sweaters/coats be in Madrid/Barcelona/Granada/Santander during the April-May period (we're looking at one month from mid- month to mid-month)? Are the nights still cool/cold in all these destinations? Rainy seasons coming or going? Days dramatically warming up during this time, or not? Should we layer with a light coat or jacket on top, or should we carry a heavy coat for a cold spell during this time? Mountains still cold?

Thanksamundo!

#34758 - 02/18/01 04:59 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
nevado Offline

I'd say a light coat/jacket with a sweater will be fine. The North will be cold at night but the two should suffice. If you go to Fuente De and take the teleférico, you'll most likely encounter snow. Unless you're planning to go hiking in it, you'll survive for a half an hour while you walk around. You could always take a silk long underwear top to give you an added layer. If you do the South first and head to the North last, you'll encounter the best weather.

#34759 - 02/18/01 05:16 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
SpainSpud Offline

Thanks, nevado......(I think you're the only person on the board at this particular time tonight!).....Our itinerary is beginning to take shape and, you're right, we're going to start with the south during the first part of the trip and end it in the north to take advantage of any warming trends as the month progresses. I just wanted to get a sense of the variations in daily temps and altitude variations, as well. Here, in Southern California, the temps can vary as much as 40 F (even in the summer), and as Spain is mostly aligned with the San Francisco latitude, I'm guessing a similar (and more extreme) temerature variation.

[This message has been edited by SpainSpud (edited 02-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SpainSpud (edited 02-18-2001).]

#34760 - 02/18/01 08:18 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I was in the north (Cantabria, Vizcaya) in early to mid April last year: Weather was quite mild. The commercial bus (Palomera) from Santander terminates at Potes (i.e., it doesn't go to Fuente Dé until May). There were alpine rescue competitions (X-country skiing) among Patrullas Guardias Montañeras the 10th of April. Santander & Bilbao temps were around 60F (15-16C) - no rain. It was nice!

One 'downside' of waiting until May for the northern end of your trip: The Año Santo de la Sagrada Cruz at the monastery of Santo Toribio (about 3km from Potes) ends Apr 29, 2001. That's the last day you can earn the Júbileo (if you're in to that sort of thing).

April 29 is also the date the feria de abril begins in Sevilla. A tough call: Semana Santa (Apr 12-14) is beautiful in Sevilla; but so is the week of the feria de abril.
P.D.
A few years ago we were in Sevilla for viernes de Semana Santa (Apr 5 that year) and it was more than 90F (about 32C). It can get warm there in April.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 02-18-2001).]

#34761 - 02/18/01 05:22 PM Re: Staying warm from April to May
SpainSpud Offline

Ohhh, noooo - (Time for the Mr. Bill Show!)....groan...this IS a tough call! We'll pretty much be landing in Madrid smack in the middle of Semana Santa. Was thinking that doing the leg to Cordoba (or Sevilla) after a day's rest in Madrid and renting a car in either city to then proceed to Ronda and Granada would pretty much give us a "before and after" taste of the region. Then we'd go back to Madrid and ease into the northern leg(s) of the trip starting in late April. How long would it take me to do the total distance for that Santo Toribio pilgrimage?

As I suspected, we won't be able to see everything, but it seems Sevilla is a must, no matter which way you slice it. It seems reasonable to attempt the Semana Santa. If it fails for whatever reason, we could still see the city in its "resting state", so to speak.... what say you? Any other alternative "cool" saints and pilgrimages in the area?

#34762 - 02/18/01 06:35 PM Re: Staying warm from April to May
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Since you are going to stay from mid-month (April) to mid May, it's good to know that only for Madrid May 1st and 2nd are also public holidays, since they are tuesday and wednesday, there will be a general escapade to the beaches for the long weekend.

Weather in general will gentle, you should be able to go to the beach and also to hike with a litle snow, 12ºC to 30º (lower in the mountains) depending on where you are in the peninsula.

#34763 - 02/23/01 11:05 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
Miguelito Offline

Abril aguas mil, it may rain any of the days.

#34764 - 02/23/01 05:12 PM Re: Staying warm from April to May
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I was also in Andalucia in April. When I was there it was soooooo hot. You won't necessarily need to take a lot of clothes, but do take variety. For women, a nice light skirt that you can wear without tights during the day and with tights in the evenings is a good choice (You can hang it up in the shower and steam out wrinkles), and you won't look as touristy as you would in shorts.

A good tight-knit wool sweater and jacket should be fine for colder climates. I definitely second the silk long underwear (tops and bottoms). It is lightweight and makes a big difference in the colder climates up north.

#34765 - 03/06/01 02:35 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
SpainSpud Offline

A belated thanks to you all for your tips!

#34766 - 03/09/01 11:33 AM Re: Staying warm from April to May
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Granada in April can be a close call. When I lived there we were wearing shorts at the beginning of May, April couldnt have been too much cooler. Last year I was there for Semana Santa and it was cold at night--we had to buy fleece jackets while we were there to keep warm. Use the layering method, I think a warmer fleece should suffice, bring short & long sleeve shirts that you can layer if needed.

Denise

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments