Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34728 - 02/06/01 12:42 AM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
SpainSpud Offline

Thanks to rgf and Antonio. I'm going to break this into parts...rgf, please go to "Favorite Places - Various Scenarios in Spain" to pick up the rest of this post with my ideas for itineraries and such (and as for Antonio here's the cell phone part...

1. Cell phone issue - we won't be making copious calls to the US. The phones (one for each) would be more for staying in touch with each other during those times we'll be separated.....like when my mother decides to crash for the day while I go out an do my own sightseeing...or she gets sucked in by a shoe store while I'm waiting at a cafe. Most of the time, though, we will be together. So, I'm interested in finding out if the cheapest phones will do the job. Now, we are also leaving the itinerary open for a mad dash to Italy (Bologna and environs) as a scouting expedition for a future trip. So, in this case, does it up the ante on the cell phone issue as we'd be leaving the country? Is it worth it given our situation?

Thanks in advance!

#34729 - 02/06/01 08:36 AM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Chopchi... not trying to be condescending at all in explaining what I mean by suburbio vs. suburb. Maybe you'd like me better in person. I have so many students trying to get INTO my courses, because they find my classes to be great and they find me one of their most friendly and supportive professors! Maybe it's the electronic tone that you read as condescending, or maybe you don't like my sense of humor, which is fine, but don't flame me. I think I've helped a lot mor people on this board than i've offended, and in this life, that's not a bad record!

#34730 - 02/06/01 07:01 PM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Buying a cell phone in Spain is not so cheap anymore. At the begining, phone companies give them for free (or for little money) as long as you became one of their customers.

Nowadays, about 60% of the population in Spain have one (some people even have two or three different cell phones!). Therefore, now phone companies only subsidize a small part of the total cost of the cell phone (ie, you pay more for it ).

If you plan to make call between two cell phones, I gues the best for you would be the pack dúo (Amena) . It has the cheapest rates (5 pesetas per minute 24/7). Note that this rate is only for calls made between those two phones. By the way, you may still find this pack dúo .

As you can see from these links, they are quite expensive, even though they give 4000 pesetas for calls in each phone. Instead of buying them, try to rent one of these special "pack dúo".

Regards,

Antonio

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 02-06-2001).]

#34731 - 02/14/01 12:49 PM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
chopchi complains: [ to rgf ]
"You are so oblivious as to how constantly culturally offensive your remarks are on this board."

Odd. I've never been offended by rgf's posts. On the contrary, I've usually found rgf's views reasonable and responsible, and his observations and conclusions often in agreement with my own. chopchi, your remarks are uncalled for.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 02-14-2001).]

#34732 - 02/14/01 02:59 PM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I agree w/ cantabene. rgf is always responsive, positive and informative. Never have I found her to be otherwise. True, though, that over the Internet it is quite difficult to assess tone, so one can easily jump to conclusions as to the intent of the poster. I, personally, would love to attend one of rgf's classes!
Jen

#34733 - 02/14/01 04:22 PM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hey, thanks old board buddies for saying nice things about me on V-day! Cantabene, btw, I am Rosemary (yikes, now people won't call me rgf) and tho sometimes i get called "sir" when I drive thru McD's (the haircut??), I am una chica. Y mis clases son superdivertidas!

#34734 - 02/15/01 01:49 AM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
SpainSpud Offline

Well, I, for one, find that rgf has been quite generous and informative . It's very easy to read someone wrong, especially if they have 1. a strong character and 2. a significant experience about which they are confindent. In these regards, I'm inclined to opine she has both characteristics. I beleive, in regards to my case, she has understood the general situation regarding traveling with an older person and is sensitive to the issues this entails. My mother and I thank you, rgf.

#34735 - 02/15/01 11:24 AM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you're leaving from the US, here's a link to a rental site. I've heard ads on the radio to this effect, and from a "no strings" standpoint, I think rental is smart. I plan to rent one for next year when I go.
http://travtel.com/gsm.htm (URL updated by MadridMan)

SpainSpud- are you in NoCal or SoCal, as the blackouts were supposed to happen last night for us, too. Just curious...

#34736 - 02/15/01 11:30 AM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
aww comeon Calibasco! trying to make the spanish payphones work is half the fun!

Leche

#34737 - 02/15/01 04:36 PM Re: Cell phones, medications and maps
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Leche, Correcto! I'd almost forgot how fun it was on the OLD telefónicas to get a free 2-second call to anywhere in the world. The ones where you lined your coins up and watched them get inhaled by the machine. In the interim between your friend on the other end and the phone realizing you're too cheap to pay, you got two seconds to say "Wassup?" or whatever. Oh we are sly.

Also, free long distance on the ever-disappearing phones with no dials on them:
Simply lift the receiver and tap the disconnect button the desired number of times for whatever individual number you need, in sequence, pausing between #s and then talk for FREE to anywhere for as long as you please. HEE! When (if) the bill shows up, and happens to carry a charge, you can always point to the phone and ask "how do I call out on this phone, as it has no dial or buttons?"...oh, the grand scam!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments