Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34682 - 01/25/01 11:35 AM Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
Kiley Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Is it best to use traveler's checks in Spain or to use the ATM's???

#34683 - 01/25/01 11:50 AM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
ATM's offer a good exchange rate (typically better than banks or change offices) and (usually) a fixed charge per transaction (£1.50, about $2.25, on my last trip). You can use them any time of day. I would recommend them.

#34684 - 01/25/01 12:24 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'll add my support for the ATMs. Traveler's checks are simply not worth the bother in Spain. ATMs are everywhere, and are easy to use. (If you don't know Spanish, you can push a button for the English version of the instructions.)

#34685 - 01/25/01 01:25 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Why don't you do a search on this topic on this very board?(got that, MM? )
If I remember, there have been several postings about this very subject.
I would, however, go for the ATMs.

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 01-25-2001).]

#34686 - 01/25/01 11:31 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with everyone (and their brothers). ATMs are the way to go. I ONLY use them and didn't cash ONE of the travelers checks I took for emergencies last October. And as Jen said , use the SEARCH link above/right, type in ATM as your keyword and you'll get LOTS of postings on this top.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34687 - 01/26/01 02:03 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
We use the ATMs exclusively. We never carry more than the equivalent of $200 with us at one time, in cash. Since ATMs that are Visa oriented can be used as a credit card as well, they offer a nice option for the actual credit cards at times.

I would suggest that you carry at least two, maybe three different Visa/ATM cards with you just in case of an emergency. You can put them in various safe places to insure that you won't lose them all, if something is stolen.

I had my pocket picked on the subway in Madrid (I suggest button down pockets if you must carry a wallet), but we only lost $100 American, and an ATM card which we were able to cancel via the Internet from a Cyber Cafe. Since we had two cards with different PIN numbers on the same account, it was business as usual, and since I didn't carry anything of value in my wallet, the people who got it only made off with $100.

Watch the subways. The pickpockets do work in gangs on them..... but if you're careful, and use the right precautions, you're safe.

#34688 - 02/22/01 11:25 AM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
FriendlyDoc Offline

Loc: Beavercreek, OH USA
Let me preface my question with the statement that I have read the other articles addressing ATM usage in Spain... and would you believe I STILL have questions:

I don't have any DEBIT cards (because bank debit cards are like a credit card that doesn't require ID BUT they don't have the same protection against erroneous charges... you can't despute them because they are a direct draw from your account)

I DO have an ATM card, but my bank charges a $1-2.00 fee for using an ATM machine other than theirs... on top of the fee the ATM charges me (usually another $1-2.00). Was willing to open a temp account with a US bank connected with Spain, but I guess that's a fantasy.

I have actual credit cards that will allow me to take cash advances through ATM machines, but the rate is astronomical (about 15-22%) and the interest acrues immediately. I don't understand the previous comments about getting a card from MBNA or some of the others... wouldn't this cash advance hold true for them?

So here's my question... what can I get to use in Spain (specifically Madrid and Barcelona) that will NOT charge me $2-5 in ATM fees, will NOT put me at risk for having unauthorized Debit transactions, and will NOT charge me interest on a cash advance?

#34689 - 02/22/01 01:36 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
That's a tough one. I would just use your atm, deal with the charges b/c of convenience and just make sure that you don't make too many withdrawls.

#34690 - 02/22/01 11:40 PM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
lis Offline

Loc: New Zealand
RE hi interest charges on credit cards - with my bank in NZ if you carry a credit balance on your card you get not only dont pay the $5 overseas atm fee - they also pay interest on the balance - cheapest option so far !

#34691 - 02/23/01 08:46 AM Re: Money (Traveler's Checks or ATMs)
FriendlyDoc Offline

Loc: Beavercreek, OH USA
What a great idea, LIZ! If I "prepay" my card and keep my actual charges on another card (because cash advances are always the last thing they apply payments to), then I've solved my problem.

You're great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2249 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments