Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34665 - 01/06/01 02:44 PM what to bring
gleece Offline

Hi. I am leaving Tuesday to study in Madrid for 5 months. I was wondering what to do about packing things like shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, toothpaste, etc. Are American brands of toilitries available at all in Madrid, or if not, are Spanish brands very different?- for example, I read somewhere that Spanish deoderant doesn't have antipersperant. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have never been out of the US and don't know what to expect at all. Thanks!

#34666 - 01/06/01 05:44 PM Re: what to bring
eight earrings Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY USA
hey gleece- are you going with a program? is it thru SUNY? just curious.

#34667 - 01/06/01 05:51 PM Re: what to bring
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
gleece-- I would tell you that any essential items you can get in the US can also be found in Spain. Maybe not the same brand but, hey... experiment. That's part of the total experience. Have fun on your trip.

#34668 - 01/06/01 10:31 PM Re: what to bring
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The bit about the deodorant is correct, so unless you don't mind feeling a bit damp, you may want to bring your own antiperspirant. You can get everything else there with no problem at all. Many American brands are available, and lots of the Spanish brands are worth trying. (Spanish soaps are delightful.) Have a great time!

#34669 - 01/07/01 12:13 AM Re: what to bring
nevado Offline

If you use salon shampoo you will have difficulty finding your brand. There's a salon on c/ Diego de Leon near Claudio Coello that sells Sebastian products.

#34670 - 01/07/01 02:00 PM Re: what to bring
chopchi Offline

In 5 months I bet you will have gotten used to brands that you will long for when you return to USA. Remember you will have all kinds of European products to experiment with. I love Magno soap-the smell and the color/almost black reminds me of Spain.If you really get homesick for American products go down to the shop Taste of America, just up a little from the Hard Rock Cafe......

#34671 - 01/07/01 04:57 PM Re: what to bring
gleece Offline

eight earrings- I go to Saint Louis University and they have a campus in Madrid, too.
Everyone else- Thanks a bunch! This message board has been very helpful.

#34672 - 01/27/01 10:27 AM Re: what to bring
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I always bring BACK FA soap from Spain to US. Nice smell!! In Spain you can now get huge bottles of shampoo, cheap. Before, it was worth totting your own stuff. True about the deoderant not having anti-perspirant: weird! The one thing that is shockingly expensive in Spain is aspirin/tylenol etc. Here, we buy it in huge bottles for $5. In Spain, it is cheaper to buy VALIUM than TYLENOL!! (I know from experience!!). So take bottles of pain relievers.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments