Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#34637 - 01/25/01 07:08 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
connie Offline

There are stories, though, of someone bringing in an rotten apple out of which a fruitfly or some other bug escaped that destroyed an entire crop? To someone not being an expert on agriculture, many regulations might seem ridiculous, but they might nevertheless make a lot of sense... Hard to assess without expertise in the field, hence in doubt I would also trust in what the Department of Agriculture prescribes, since they have experts on the matter which can evaluate the dangers better than I can... And it is better if they over-act than if they neglected the dangers. Of course, it is annoying for us, but at least there is still a chance to buy the goods here.

#34638 - 01/25/01 09:06 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Leche says:
"But bringing in just a personal amount of foodstuffs not for distribution or release into the atmosphere is of very little risk."

Try that one on the Department of Agriculture.

If you can get them to change their minds, I'm all for it. But until then, I'm inclined to believe them rather then you.

I don't want to experience the day when I have to pay $3.00 for an orange because there aren't as many as there used to be.
Cantabene

#34639 - 01/25/01 09:25 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
connie Offline

It is not only the money. I am very concerned about BSE as many Europeans are now and I think it was disastrous that it was downplayed for so long and that neither were effective measures taken to combat it promptly, nor to contain it, but it had to spread all over Europe. Well, your chorizo in the suitcase won't infect the US with BSE---but I have no idea which risks it can entail and prefer to be on the safe side and follow the prescriptions of the Department of Agriculture.

#34640 - 01/30/01 01:18 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

mclark says:
"I bought items just for personal consumption and not for distribution."

I think that is a distinction made for those carrying drugs--to determine the weight of the penalty.

Distribution of food remnants may occur whether we intend it or not. They might, for examaple, be distributed through whatever system you might use to dispose of your garbage or other uneaten food.

Is the garbage bagged or put in a trash can and set outside to be collected? Might a stray dog or other animal get into it? Might the contents of a broken bag or overturned can be scattered so that the contents might be eaten by birds, or rats and squirrels or other rodents?

There are many possible ways in which infected food may be distributed into the environment. That's why the Government tries to catch it before it gets there. It's a practice that benefits all of us.
Cantabene

#34641 - 02/07/01 01:34 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
SpainSpud Offline

At the risk of sounding irrelevant, can I cut in here and ask a stupid question? (Ethica discourse aside for the moment)......Is this Jamon Serrano soooooo delicious???? Or is it just soooooooo cheap you can't resist the bargain it represents? And what other foods from Spain would inspire running the customs gauntlet?

(Mouth watering in anticipation of the replies)......:-)

#34642 - 02/07/01 04:39 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

Spainspud:
Spain has many foods that my be legally imported by tourists--no need to insist on meat products. One of my own favorites is the thick white asparagus--canned--which is especially good with home made mayo. Or folded into an omelet.

It's not impossible to get legally imported jamon. Set your browser to www.tienda.com or to www.donajuana.com for prices and brands. I hope you have deep pockets.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-07-2001).]

#34643 - 02/07/01 10:48 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Spainspud, in the USA the closest thing to jamon serrano you can find easily is prosciutto ham, and it's still a slightly different flavor. Good jamon serrano is very expensive, and it's worth the extra cost. The best way to eat it is sliced so thin, you can almost see through it. Cheaper jamon serrano is best used chopped up in cooking (it gives sauces an excellent flavor). Go for the more expensive stuff if you really want to experience it.

#34644 - 02/08/01 11:07 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Kimberley Offline

Loc: Boulder, Colorado, USA
I'm not sure if this will help anyone outside of Colorado...

We have chains of health food/gourmet grocery stores - Alfalfa's and Wild Oats - that sell jamon for not an outrageous price -

Also, the store Whole Foods, which originated in Texas, carries wonderful jamon as well. Whole Foods is the best.

Anyway, it's worth checking around for stores like these, you may find a treat!

Kimberley

ps - has anyone noticed that all the posts I reply to are food-related? I'm a very food motivated person, I guess

#34645 - 02/13/01 06:23 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Kimberley Offline

Loc: Boulder, Colorado, USA
Hi

Me again -

For those of you looking for specific customs regulations try www.customs.gov/travel/travel.htm or www.aphis.usda.gov/travel

They seem to give some pretty good guidelines. Basically, though, just use common sense!

Kimberley

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments