Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34627 - 01/23/01 03:25 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Chip Offline

An empanada is a sort of little meat turnover (it can be cheese or, apparently, tuna). Having a good one is sort of like having a piece of your grandmother's apple pie. It doesn't get any better.

As far as !Jamon, Santa Jamon!, I inadvertently (of course) brought some in (only a few paper thin slices wrapped in deli paper) through Atlanta (with the dogs present) and did not have any problems. I truly didn't know it was a problem -- after all, the stuff is cured beyond belief. Of course, I came in on a flight from Amsterdam and saw one wide-eyed young man get nailed by the dog. I felt bad considering I was carrying (again inadvertently) a whole fresh tomato (I like tomato with my Jamon!).

#34628 - 01/23/01 10:40 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Im saddened by those who subvert the regulations against the importation of questionable meats and veggies. Surely the small pleasures some people derive from the illegal imnports are of no importance next to the potential consequences of infectious stuff getting into the USA. What would you say to an epidemic of hoof and mouth disease, or mad cow disease in the USA? Or another variety of fruit fly to savage the citrus crops?

Again, it seems to be another case of people unwilling to make petty personal sacrifices for the general good. We've come along way from the atittudes of those patriots who staked their "lives, fortunes and sacred honors" to create this nation. Now, we have only indifference. Anything goes.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 01-24-2001).]

#34629 - 01/25/01 08:31 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Cantabene
I was told that you would be allowed to bring to the U.S.A. jamon iberico and queso de bola provided you buy them at the airport's duty free store. While waiting to board my flight back to the U.S.A., I saw at the duty free these items and at the U.S. Custom show the bag and receipt of the items you bought at the duty free shop.

I bought items just for personal consumption and not for distribution.

When I saw the police dog at the immigration gate, I made sure that hand-carry bag was away from the dog's nose.

#34630 - 01/25/01 02:32 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Canatabene,
Don't travel outside of USA if you don't want to get infected. Or better, before you enter to USA after a vacation they should lock you in a room for a month, you don't know what kind of horrible virus you can bring from European countries.
Most of the people who bring stuff to USA is because they don't know they are not supposed to, I've heard many times that you are allow to bring meats if they are sealed.
Don't be so hard on people, or you never have done something that you are not supposed to?

#34631 - 01/25/01 02:46 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

Nuria:
The US department of Agriculture regards the importation of infectious agents into the country as a danger to agriculture.

The price of food relative to income in this country is probably lower than anywhere else on earth. Healthy crops are one reason.

And no, I do not feel it an imposition to obey the few rules for returning travelers. I believe the reason for those rules is valid and necessary. If you do not agree, feel free to remain outside the country.

Not bringing along your sausages and jamonor any vegetation is a small price to pay for being a citizen of this extraordinary country. These are intelligent regulations in place for the benefit of all. One would have be terribly selfish not to be willing to obey them.

Further, it is unnecessary to bring back anything like that. Such products are readily avilable in the United States.
Cantabene

#34632 - 01/25/01 02:52 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

mclark:
Customs duties and prohibited foodstuffs are two separate issues. The rules may be different for each. The greater issue is not about saving a few dollars on duties. It's about maintaining the health of our agriculture--surely one of the most important concerns we have. It's about good citizenship. Remember that increasingly antiquated concept?
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 01-25-2001).]

#34633 - 01/25/01 03:01 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Cantabene
Well said! I just wanted my son and husband to have a taste of Spain.

#34634 - 01/25/01 04:43 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Cantabene -

I tend to think that the prohibitions of bringing small quantities of food in from Spain has alot more to do with our gov't agencies just not wanting to bother with the paperwork and inconvenience. If it is approved for a FOR PROFIT company to import then it is approved for me too.

and what's this about telling someone to stay outside our country? I hope I don't see that again...

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 01-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 01-25-2001).]

#34635 - 01/25/01 05:18 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
cantabene Offline

Leche:
The ability of some countries to import foodstuffs to the United States depends on what is called equivilancy. The santitary standards of the exporting country must be equal to the sanitary standards of the USA. When they don't, their food products are not admitted. That rule is in place to protect you, me, and 280 million other Americans. It has nothing to do with paperwork.

As to a suggestion that people remain outside the country, I think it entirely appropriate that visitors be expected to follow the same rules that bind U.S. Citizens. It's wrong for anyone to import proscribed meats and vegetable matter that may prove a danger to our agriculture.If you insist upon doing that, please don't come. We can do without you. We cannot do without a healthy and thriving agriculture.

That may sound inhospitable. But it's an uncaring guest who consciously subverts rules that are in place to help ensure a reliable and affordable food supply.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 01-25-2001).]

#34636 - 01/25/01 06:48 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
That's true to the extent of if you were bringing in a barge full of dangerous produce. But bringing in just a personal amount of foodstuffs not for distribution or release into the atmosphere is of very little risk. It's more dangerous just to ride on the plane!

I still think it's the paperwork...

Leche

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments