MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34597 - 12/15/00 06:40 AM Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
JanetP Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl, US
Hi!
Well, now even my mother is checking out the message board! Anyway, I had a question I was hoping I could get at least one answer to : What are the rules and regulations of bringing ham from Spain? Is there any special application process one could go through in order to bring it with one, rather than sneak it in. I have heard that you can bring it if it is canned, or wrapped in plastic without air. But I would like to know if these are legal methods or just sneaking them in. Is there anyway someone who is living in Spain can send it to you by mail, how would one go about this?
I hope that you guys get to read this,and don't become exasperated ,
JanetP

[This message has been edited by JanetP (edited 12-15-2000).]

#34598 - 12/15/00 01:17 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I can tell you from personal experience that no meats are allowed in....packed, wrapped in plastic, or whatever. I got an expensive and complete leg of jamon serrano confiscated at customs in san francisco one time. I didn't declare it and a dog found it. They questioned me and I just played dumb like I didn't know I couldn't do it. But they took it anyway.

Leche

#34599 - 12/15/00 04:40 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yes. As usual, Leche is 100% correct. However, ... hehehe.... People have been known to sneak this stuff through. I know 2 people...or rather, the MOTHERS of two women brought Spanish meats through US customs in the bottom of their purses successfully. No dogs were seen, but they took their chances and won.... that time. Dogs will smell anything, but maybe less likely if the foods are in ziplocked bags and the outsides (and between the folds of the exterior part of the zipper of the ziplock) of the bags are washed in soapy water after packing the meats. I don't recommend this practice at all. I know I'd never do it, but some peopel don't mind taking the risk. And as Leche says, act dumb and they'll just confiscate it and nothing (probably) will happen to you. I always imagine the customs agents having these HUGE lomo and jamon serrano sandwiches in the back break room everyday from all the goodies they took away from disappointed travelers. hehehe.. (licking lips).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34600 - 12/15/00 10:03 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Guapetona Offline

Jamon Toledense is allowed at this time. The last I heard was that Jabugo was being considered for entry. Its very easy to find out exactly how much is allowed by calling the Spanish Embassy in DC or by going to the website: www.spainemb.org
The DC embassy has an Agriculture expert available to speak to. No other meats are allowed now, that's a fact. If you are foreign they can and will confiscate your passport and make you recover it from your closest INS office for a fee-$100. Believe me, its happened to me.
Just stick to Toledense-it's alot cheaper!!

#34601 - 12/16/00 08:11 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Canned stuff is OK. I brought in a Favada Asturiana 'kit' consisting of Fava beans, Chorizo, Morcilla and Tocino - hermetically sealed in heavy plastic, that we bought in the gourmet foods section of a Corte Ingles. I don't know if ours was legal or not: We didn't ask.

#34602 - 12/16/00 10:05 AM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Here's what I know. Lots of people do sneak in chorizo, in the disguise methods outlined in other posts. But if they catch you ONCE, your name is permanently associated with the act, and everytime you come back to the US, they do the special chorizo check (dogs, whatever). One of my students is now always subject to search (and seizure). But another senyora I know always packs the stuff in sealed plastic, burries it in her hand luggage or suitcase and cruises right thru!!

#34603 - 12/16/00 02:17 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi

Does anyone know the rules regarding bringing stuff back to England? (I mean chorizo, jamon etc etc ). I think we brought several specimens back with us last June (only small mind you), and I didn't really think about the implications.

The 'special chorizo check' sounds a bit humiliating rgf!

Thanks.

Jo

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#34604 - 12/17/00 05:22 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Oops, the last time I came from Spain I brought the biggest lomo ever in my suitcase and it wasn't hidden at all. What happen if you are a US resident? Can you lose your residenci for something like that?

#34605 - 12/17/00 11:18 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Jo-Anne,
I am pretty sure you can bring any kind of food, including ham, back to England since both it and Spain are part of the EU. I went all over the UK and Ireland with fresh fruit from Spain and they even saw it and didn't care, but my friend got the dog-search-and-confiscate in Miami just for some mandarinas. You lucky EU citizens.

#34606 - 12/19/00 05:53 PM Re: Sneaking Lomo de Jamon
Guapetona Offline

Nuria:

No te quitaran la residencia permanante, pero si que te armaran un follon que ya veras!
Se lo toman todo en serio, sabes?
A mi ya mi pillaron y por casi me da algo.
JA JA JA

Suerte, 'quilla y felices fiestas..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments