Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34573 - 12/10/00 02:24 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
The main problem I found in spain with find in clothes was shape, not size. Spanish and Italian women often have slim hips and thighs and gain their weight in the front/stomachs (The older women looks like little hens - instead of pears). If that is your shape, I think you will be okay.

I am the ooposite, small waist, and some hips! So finding pants was really a pain, and I just made due with the pants I bought in the States. I would say take a a nice pair of blacks slacks and maybe a long skirt and get a few sweaters and scarves over there.

When my Mom came over and traveled with me in Spain, a lot of the people in the hostels thought she was French, because she wore black gabardine slacks and a blazer. She always looked nice (unlike her ripped jeans, flannel wearing daughter ) and kept warm.

You are really going to have fun shopping over there. Take a few wardrobe basics, and make it grow over there!!

#34574 - 12/10/00 07:55 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Joy Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Thank you all of you for your responses to this subject. Nicole, I think I will plan on buying accessories or sweaters there, rather than bottoms. You're probably right about the shape thing.

Keep the tips coming! Thank you all.

#34575 - 12/11/00 10:29 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
momic Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
Almost every young woman that I saw in Spain wore a scarf around her neck. Not wrapped to keep her warm, but just hanging to make her look good.

#34576 - 12/11/00 10:32 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
And it's that same pattern *everywhere*. Did I miss the fashion memo?

~

Oh, as far as differences between "shapes", I'll have to very much agree. Much to my better half's annoyance, I think, I spent a fair amount of my last trip to Spain studying the difference between Spanish and American women's bodies- and I'll have to say that the biggest difference is the roundness of the aft ends of spanish women as opposed to the triangle shape common to american women.

(just my base observations, of course ).

#34577 - 12/12/00 01:19 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
Sounds just like the Latin women we have here eh? no coincidence either I'll bet!...Rev. Mike

#34578 - 12/12/00 12:26 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Scarf???, shape??? You are loosing me. I've been living in Spain 24 years and I don't have the same perception that you guys have.
Besos...Nuria

#34579 - 12/12/00 01:22 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Momic, my ladyfriend, a madrileña who is about to turn 40, also loves to wear scarves (or is that "scarfs"?? I forget), the kind you tie somewhat tightly around the neck and slightly offset. I love it! Looks very... Mmmmm... nice. (panting!) When I first saw it, I thought to myself, "Hmm.. How French!" (I know. I konw. BITE MY TONGUE!! heehehe..) AND, she's almost never seen without either black or navy blue leather shoes.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34580 - 12/12/00 02:29 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

That was one of the things I loved about living in Spain and in France. I love silk scarves, and felt I could "get away" with wearing them over there. Here, it seems like a fashion no-no, or looks pretentious or something. Like an American trying to look like a European (God forbid)

So, you feel self-concious. Although, I go ahead and do sometimes anyway, darnit!

#34581 - 12/12/00 08:31 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Don't forget the "Jevis" who wear the black skin-tight denims, a sweater with the Arafat scarf around the neck and a beat-up pair of "Paredes". I love "Paredes" and had to laugh when the text series I used at the high school as a teacher had a picture of an ad for them as realia... too funny.

#34582 - 12/12/00 08:36 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Oh my gosh. I had totally forgotten about that. how funny!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments