Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34440 - 09/27/00 09:20 PM Telephone calls - USA - Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I've seen this topic come up in different spots, and thought it may be helpful to give it a thread of its own.

After research and trying out different companies, we use PT - 1 Communications to call Spain from the US. They charge $0.16 a minute always, with no minimum, no fees of any kind, no signing up. The charges appear on your regular phone bill. The calls are always crystal clear, and we've never had a problem connecting. To use it, dial 101-6868-011-country code (34 for Spain) - the number. They have incredibly low rates to other countries as well.

Their web site is supposed to be www.pt-1.com , (although I just checked it and it's not working.). Their customer service number is 1-888-660-5377.

Apparently this company does a lot of business with calling cards. I don't know how that works, but if you are interested, you may want to give them a call.

Has anyone else found a good deal?

[Diana, the "comma" immediately after the URL made it UNclickable - fixed it! ]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 09-27-2000).]

#34441 - 09/27/00 10:42 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
wow, that's a great rate! I pay $3 a month to get a 17cents a minute rate to spain... maybe i should drop it and go with the one you recommend!

#34442 - 09/28/00 03:38 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
connie Offline

I pay 9 cents a minute with the MCI International Plan during weekends, 17 cents during the week (plus taxes). The monthly fee is 7 $, which includes cheaper rates for inter-state calls in the US and Canada as well. What is excellent is that they do not have an extra charge for calls to cell phones. I found that charges from calling cards can be crazy if you call a cell phone, 1 $ per minute or similar prices.
From Massachusetts, I think the best calling card to call to a regular phone is Mass Local Access, they have no connection fee, are good for a year, and the price is something around 10 cents (unless you call to a cell phone) including taxes if you call from your private phone.

[This message has been edited by connie (edited 09-28-2000).]

#34443 - 12/31/00 02:11 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
eight earrings Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY USA
ok, so i guess i have a silly question. i've never called another country before. i'm leaving in like 9 days and i don't know how to tell people to call me there. the phone number i got was 91-xxx-xxxx. i understand that i have to call that 9 digit number when i am in spain, but what does one do from the US? i don't think you can just dial 1-91 etc. what is this about a country code? can somebody help to clear things up?

btw, for those of you who read about las doce uvas, i've decided to do that for new year's. a little spanish culture never hurt any of my friends!

#34444 - 12/31/00 04:32 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
There are no silly questions here! And yours is a very good one!

To call you direct from the USA to Madrid, the caller needs to dial 011-34-91-xxx-xxxx.

The 011 is the international access code, and the 34 is Spain's country code. 91 is Madrid's area code. If you're somewhere else in Spain you'd have a different area code, and it might be 3 digits.

Have a great time!

#34445 - 12/31/00 07:52 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Dear ocho pendientes aka A.S.: Diana is right. And when you need to call the U.S., the cheapest way is often using a Master or Visa Card on public phones. Check out the internet places, too, for cheap communication. And feliz anyo nuevo with your doce uvas. Me too! I'm off to Spain Wednesday. By the time you get there I'll almost be good. Suerte, Amy, and keep in touch. Tu profesora.

#34446 - 01/02/01 05:38 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I just signed up for EconoPhone (the one that Ben Stein has been advertising on the radio) a month or so ago, and I get 7.9¢/minute to Spain and most of Western Europe...what's more, NO monthly service charge. I also get 5.9¢ domestic long distance with no monthly charge either. Just in time for my holiday phone calls!

You can find them on the web, I just haven't done the searching for you...they also have very good calling card rates for travellers who would call to their country from Spain (I think it's 11¢/minute or something...)

#34447 - 01/03/01 04:26 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
connie Offline

CaliBasco, sounds like a great deal. Have you made calls to Spanish cell phones with your new contract yet? Do they take surcharges for that?

#34448 - 01/04/01 10:53 AM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
Guapetona Offline

Hi Everyone

I hope everybody had a fabulous New Year's!
I use www.hottelephone.com its the only internet phone company that lets you call Spain free. Others like dialpad only allow for domestic calls. Although if you are in Spain you can call the States using dialpad.
All you need is the headset which runs about 25 dollars.Go to the website and register. Start calling for free.

[This message has been edited by Guapetona (edited 01-04-2001).]

#34449 - 01/11/01 11:10 PM Re: Telephone calls - USA - Spain
Kati Offline

Loc: Vitoria-Gasteiz
hottelephone.com doesn't work with AOL ,firewall doesn't let it ((

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments