MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34404 - 09/08/00 10:22 AM Re: Peseta Rate
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Rubia66 - if you succeed in getting adopted and moved to Spain, let me know how you did it - it's something I've been trying for years!!!

#34405 - 09/12/00 12:21 PM Re: Peseta Rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
And today it's up to 192.9 pesetas to $1 US. WOW! It just keeps going up and up! At this rate, it may reach 200 pesetas to the US Dollar by the time I get there on October 2nd !! Can you say, "SHOPPING SPREE!!!???"

$aludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34406 - 09/14/00 11:30 AM Re: Peseta Rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by...]

esq
Junior Member posted 09-14-2000 11:23 AM
-----------------------------------
Expedia is quoting today: US$1.00=194 Pesetas

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34407 - 09/14/00 04:35 PM Re: Peseta Rate
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey guys, I am so happy for you, but I am very sad for my peseta. It was hard enough that they are going to change our beloved peseta for that ugly euro, but now is worst because the peseta is going to die like a not valuable, weak currency. Won't you be sad when you travel to Spain in 2002 and you pay with euro? How about when the waiter says "5 euros", instead of 700 pesetas?

#34408 - 09/14/00 04:45 PM Re: Peseta Rate
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
yes nuria i am very devastated and cannot stand the fact the peseta's will be gone, i really don't like it.

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#34409 - 09/24/00 09:34 AM Re: Peseta Rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Up! Down! Up! Down! Just like the stock market. Now, the Universal Currency Converter website is quoting 189ptas to $1US, down from the 195pts peak it reached earlier in the week. ARGH! hehehe... Am *I'M* grumbling? It was about 160 last year when I went.

Saludos, MadridMan

#34410 - 09/25/00 06:57 AM Re: Peseta Rate
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Central banks have intervened to prop up the Euro, and it's likely they may do so again. That's why it's recovered a bit. On Thursday (28th Sept) the Danes vote whether to join the Euro. A No vote is bound to cause it to weaken further.

I'm no economist but I'm still not convinced the Euro is a "done deal". The Germans are used to their currency being worth a lot anywhere, and they're getting hammered.

#34411 - 09/29/00 07:57 AM Re: Peseta Rate
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
The Dane's have voted NO! Euro may fall further. Bank's are likely to intervene, but I would hold off buying your pesetas just yet!

#34412 - 09/29/00 11:21 AM Re: Peseta Rate
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey, MadridMan: Guess who was in Spain from Sep 9-18? Just checked my charges and with an exchange rate of 193.5/dollar it was even acceptable after my MasterCard's 1% foreign currency transaction charge - didn't use my First USA Bank NA Visa (4% foreign currency transaction charge). Today's paper lists it as 188.10 - slipping. But you should still be in pretty tall cotton next week.

I charged my (2-night) hotel stay in Sevilla: we needed air conditioning because it was so hot; AVE tix (Sevilla-Madrid) & tix (Madrid-Santander & return) on ContinentalAuto (Gran Clase) & roundtrip on Alsa Santander-Bilbao. Total cost: about $325 (for my wife & 1 - both of us). My ATM doesn't charge withdrawal fees, so we relied on cash there in Sardinero, etc. We could have 'low balled' it but the lack of creature comforts really didn't justify it.

Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 09-29-2000).]

#34413 - 09/29/00 11:33 AM Re: Peseta Rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That's fine! I'm satisfied with that exchange rate and I too will mainly rely on the ATM machines for cash, using credit cards for purchases, but I still have some backup cash in traveller's checks, but will only use that if my card won't work in the ATMs (but I'm not too worried). Today's exchange rate is still about 189pts to $1 US.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments